Best Antivirus Defense, Least System Resources, Auto-Update?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by digital, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I agree with Mele20

F-prot is very good with low resources,but my choice is Dr.web

2. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

How does Prevx behave with SP2? Will it compliment SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and WinPatrol? :cool:

I know you wanted to change from NAV and so did I. I tried NAV 2005 and liked it. Big improvement over 2004.

3. Hackerwatcher

Hackerwatcher Registered Member

Since the virus bullentin result summary for F-Prot is 11 passes / 7 fails, did you rely on any other testing sites or reviews before investing your time in trialing this program? If so, could you please post the links?

Have you discontinued using KAV 4.5 altogether? If so, why? (I downloaded this version a few days ago, but so far I don't like it.)

How many of those 597 viruses in your zip file did NOD32 miss?

Lastly, does F-Prot utilize more signatures than NOD32? If so, can you venture a guess as to the amount, and do you think that accounts for the increased detection rate of F-Prot?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  4. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Hackerwatcher - you might want to look at the August 2004 comparative over at www.av-comparatives.org. F-Prot scores well.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

F-Prot for XP passes at VB. I don't put all my stock in VB like Eset does. I also noticed F-Prot's scores in the Aug testing at av-comparatives like Meltdown mentioned.

I've been trying free av (didn't like any of them). I am looking for inexpensive, not glopped up with stuff I don't need and a good scanner. I still believe KAV 4.5 is the best AV there is but it is expensive and I need protection for both my computers (my NOD32 license is up end of Oct). I'm on a fixed income so the price is maybe more important to me than to those who have good incomes. I may still get KAV eventually. I only had it this summer for a 30 day test and then I started using NOD32 again. I also have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth regarding Kaspersky support. After Kaspersky made their ADS tag removal tool available, I contacted tech support and requested it. (This was for 5.0 which I tried first. 4.5 doesn't set the tags). I had a lot of trouble running it because no "read me" file came with it...no instructions. Others were having trouble also over at dslr. Once I was able to run it, it not only didn't remove the remaining tags but on reboot, I was greeted with NO video drivers! It had fried them. Others also had the tool fry their video drivers. All but a couple of us have nVidia drivers.

So, after I got the back to normal (I was lucky in that system restore actually worked), I wrote Kaspersky support to let them know that their tool was not QA and that nVidia drivers in particular (but some ATI also) were being fried by their tool. I got a reply saying that was impossible and saying that the tool could be run from Windows and was very easy to run. Neither were true. I wrote back after seeing more reports of fried video drivers and got a second reply (different tech) saying again that was impossible that their tool could do that. I wrote a third time a couple of days later and was told by a third tech that I was imagining things. Their tool was perfect. It could not fry video drivers. At this point, reports were at Ikon board and dslr that this did happen to users. So, having that happen (it was traumatic to boot to no video drivers and I didn't know what was wrong for a while..I had extremely low resolution with something like 6 bit color and couldn't change either setting, I could barely see anything as there was a checkered background to everything) and then having support insist over and over that it was impossible and I must be hallucinating or something sort of dampened my enthusiasm for KAV. Couple that experience with the high cost of KAV and I ended up putting KAV on the back burner for now.

NOD32 missed 50 something. I think it was 53. I have it written down somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

F-Prot can currently detect 129,200 viruses and trojans. NOD32 concentrates on ITW viruses and you really can't compare by number of signatures, I don't think, because NOD32 emphasizes heuristic detection. I believe I recall that Eset said in regards to the 597 viruses that NOD32 would not detect garbage, damaged, junk, etc. and Eset claimed a good number of those fell into those categories. Whether or not that is a valid argument is debatable and ends up being something each user must decide for themselves. Just as each user must decide how much emphasis they want their av to place on heuristics as opposed to signatures.

6. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Hi,

Like to give you my experience:

I have license of:

Kaspersky ( 4.5 and 5 )
    Nod32 ( 2.12)
    F-Secure 2004
    Dr.Web 4.32
    Norman AV
    VirusBuster
    RAV 8.6
    Panda Platinum
    AVK Extendia 2004 V11
    Escan
    Etrust ( free registered )
    BitDefender Prof 8
    Norton 2005
    McAfee Upgraded at 2005 (9)
    McAfee Enterprise 8i
    Trend Micro ( PcCillin Security 2004 )

And I am doing test with MKS_2004

My experice told me that if you are looking low resouorce, Fast and Good detection would go with:

Trend Micro
    BitDefender 8
    ETrust
    Dr.Web ( give some falses notices )
    RAV ( but no more licenses )

If you are looking Good detection ( the Best ) defenitly:

KAV
    AVK EXtendia
    F-Secure

But need have Good Machine to Run Good other's applications.

I never had used Free AV.....This " Business " is my Hobbie.

Thank you,

larouse

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Could you guys post detailed reports please? Other ppl. would benefit, and can then decide for themselves whether NAV is better than KAV or F-Prot is worth downloading or...... you know.

8. larouse

larouse Registered Member

I can say you the Kaspersky and F-Secure are over NAV...In my personal opinion....Why:

Kaspersky has a Great Detection
    F-Secure is a " Elite " AV and have at Great detection
    both have at Great Update Signatures
    F-Secure is less commercial, the price is Higher as Kaspersky
    and think that is the most expensive AV similar at Norman but F-Secure is more fast, and comprensive, better rate detection

NAV has at Good detection, but think that has better Marketing are in all sites and have at Big Market ( installed isn many machines )

But the desision depend of you system, you use, you prefferences the Term " Best AV " is subjetive.....I said you the Computer is my Hobbie and make my test with Machines have 12 laptops Top Laptops ( IBM T41, Dell 8600, Sony Z1 ) that are Machines over $2000 USD and I can not say that are best than other.

But If you like one Good AV I can recommend:

Kaspersky.....Need have at Power System
    Extendia AVK.....Same
    F-Secure.....Same
    VirusBuster....Sam

Good AV with avarage System:

NOD32
    BitDefender
    NAV
    McAfee
    Escan
    RAV
    Norman

Low Resource:

Dr.Web
    ETrust
    F-Prot

I am using Trial Version of MKS with some problems ( Update ) but the support come back with me again the Monday, but think that would be at Good alternative with low resorce and cheap price.

But Again are PERSONAL Opinions I have one folder with 570 Virus files and I make my test but under my conditions, I am not expert and Sorry I can not say How is better AV,

Good Luck....Sorry I don't have at Good English...I am not American

Larouse

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I can't speak authoritatively on most AV progs, but I have tried the following five and these are my observations (each of them provides automatic updates, if enabled):

KAV - The very best detection I've come across and pretty decent as far as resource considerations.
    NAV - Good detection but major 'bloatware'. Huge resource hog!
    NO32 - Reasonably good detection and definitely the least resource-consuming of the 5 I've tried.
    PC-cillin - Reasonably good detection and not too bad a resource hog.
    ZLSS - So far, it seems pretty darn good, but since it's an entire security suite, I can't really judge the AV portion insofar as resources go (I love the ZA firewall).

Re Prevx, I just started using it (along with my regular AV and Spyware progs). I find it's alerts confusing at best and disruptive during legitimate downloads (it doesn't seem to have the ability to 'learn' that my other anti virus/spyware updates are ok)! :rolleyes:

10. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

maybe he doesn't like your programs and ... :D

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Concerning VirusBuster -- that little-known AV has 7 successive 100% awards at VirusBulletin. Costs only $21/year. I have it but seldom use it. Runs good on my system (233Mhz cpu, 256MB ram). However, its daily signature updates are over 3MB in size -- best to have broadband if you run this AV. Tech support is pretty good & replies quickly. They said that they will get incremental updates sometime next year. Remains 2 b seen.

12. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

What I really miss here is Panda Platinum7.xxxxxx It's a great scanner at the moment, great detection (also malware!!!!), mailscanner, auto-update, easy configuration. In short.....a great product for me. Look at the recent tests, it's in the top!

;) Putin

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks bellgamin. I'll keep them in mind next time one of mine expires. ;)

14. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

15. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Code:
    kaspersky.....Need have at power system
    I'm doing a 30 day trial of kaspersky 5.0 My operating system is windows me. I have a 700 mhz intel celeron processor, and only 192 mb of ram. Kav is running very smooth on my system. The download went smooth. I haven't noticed hardly any slowdown in my computer. I was running avast! free edition. Kav just uses about 4% more systen recources than avast!

I know everyones operating system is different. Mcaffe on the other hand runs terrible on my system virus scan 8 to be exact. I expected the worst when I downloaded kav, reading about all the power system users that were having problems with it. I thought best case senario a format he-he. Worse case senario , my puter would explode. LOL

However none of that happened. I really like kav so far. However, I'm glad I ran across this thread, because I also want to try out f-prot. One problem I did encounter is avast and kav don't get along with each other at all. I stopped the resident shield in avast, and there were still conflicts between the 2. I finally solved the problem by going into misconfig and disabling avast! at startup. I ran across the same problem a few weeks ago with panda titanium. When I went to install panda. I got a warning that avast was operating on my computer, and panda wanted me to uninstall avast.

I kept avast installed, but didn't install panda. The reason I'm so interested in kav and f-prot is because of there high scores at http://www.av-comparatives.org The difference in the price isn't that great between f-prot $29, and kav 5.0 $41, only $12 difference. I'm very happy with kav right now, I also run boclean with it, I feel very protected. I will give f-prot a try though.

16. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Probably overkill running boclean and KAV. KAV is on par with the better AT apps in terms of trojan performance.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

But wouldn't you want the right to be able to download it more than once? For Kaspersky that right costs $4.95 additional! I have never heard of such a thing before. I could download NOD32 umpteen zillion times for free. So, why is Kaspersky charging to download more than once?

18. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Ummmm...How come would you have to dl more than once?

If it's downloaded, why not keep it, as you can then install it whenever as the keyfile/serial still works.

I have had occasion to reinstall KAV 4.5 PRO [wanted to test another AV and simply uninstalled KAV for few hours to make sure no conflicts] and had no need to dl again, as already had original.

Anything security wise, I download, install and save the original to a folder and burn to CD along with any keys/Serials I have to use.

Just curious, that's all :)

Cheers, TAS

19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Mele20

That is a "service" :rolleyes: from Element5 the paysite, you can then logon to your Element5 acount and download from their server.

You can download as many as you want from the official Kaspersky sites. :)

Regards

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks. That is sure confusing since it is there at the store check out and you click on it to see what it is and it says that enables you to download more than once thus indicating that you get one download unless you buy this.

21. wpritch

wpritch Registered Member

Does anyone know which AV has the best disk access time while the program is monitoring. Many programs use varying degrees of resources, but because of their detection, may really slow down the disk access.

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, I keep my downloaded applications also in a specific folder. But I don't like to burn copies. I have a crappy burner program (Sonic Record Now) which makes coasters of three or four CDs before it burns one. Until I got this computer a year ago, I never had a burner so I'm not really in the habit of burning. I don't especially want to spend more money right now on a good program like Nero. So, if something happened to that downloaded copy, I would want to be able to go download it again.

23. sard

sard Registered Member

Excellent point. So many people worry about the amount of RAM consumed but I've got 1gig of it to spare so I just want something that doesn't slow down my system. I wish someone would conduct a comprehensive and scientific comparison of impact on disk access time with various AVs. At the moment there’s little but anecdotal evidence to go on.

24. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Methinks NOD32, KAV, McAfee (enterprise sec. suite) and PC-cillin were the best in disk access times (don't remember where I saw it...sorry)

25. airtech

airtech Registered Member

Computer Associates Etrust Antivirus version 7.1 ,installed via disc from New Egg, uses slightly less resorces than Norton 2003. The install is easy but has nothing to do with provided directions. It may be impossible to enter the license key and/or register the product however, so it may indeed self-destruct after one month. I shall find out and post somewhere in forums if this av is effective, and if it works after one month. Perhaps etrust email support will eventually reply, to someone, about anything? One never knows in the world of software.
    New Egg Price= $24.99 including Fed Ex ship. Vet and InoculteIt scanner engines. Local and Realtime scanning formats, right click individual file scan. Full computer scan aprox.5 min vs. Norton 10 or more. Very little relevent documentation/instructions included, or on line. Does update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.