Best alternative to Sandboxie as of today ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by javahole, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javahole

javahole Registered Member

From what i've read on here most people seem to think there is none, but unfortunately :'( my system is not getting on with SB and i'm getting the BSOD.

I basically want to be able to use Java (oracle) safely, with maybe the added benefit of certain users of my laptop not getting nasties from online games, and email links virus protection. So looking for some updated feedback on other stuff out there.

I've just tried checking out Geswall's site but it doesnt seem to be up and running, so is it no longer viable ?

Bufferzone or some other VM/software ?

I'm really looking for freeware as i only need to use Java for 3 sites, so i figure i'll use Firefox + alternative to SB , for Java use, emails, games. And use Chrome + Rapport + Java disabled for online banking, and regular browsing.

I could go and try loads of programs but at the moment i lack the tech knowledge to figure out the comparitives.

Cheers

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

You should contact Tzuk, who is the developer. I hear he is quick on fixing bugs and responds quickly.

The only few viable options I know is:

Bufferzone Free
    Geswall ( should still be here)
    Defense Wall $

or even

Shadow Defender $
    or
    Yesshield Free (limited time)
    Toolwiz Timefreeze

3. javahole

I think the sandboxie thing is likely an unusual conflict with my system.

I've just tried the gentlesecurity site again and can now access it.

I like the look of Geswall. Nice and simple, no bells and whistles dressing up from what i've seen on youtube.

Any updates on Geswall ?

I could be wrong but i find it funny how popular anti virus software has become due to clever marketing, when i suspect you only really need it as a back up if you use one of the above - to check if anything got through any cracks ?? eg why have more faith in something that has already got into your system rather than something that stops it getting that far ?

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Could be also - SysWatch, SafeSpace, Returnil, Wondershare Time Freeze...

5. test

test Registered Member

DefenseWall without doubt:
    a great support and a great piece of code.

ONLY 32bit :'(

6. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

get yesshield which is on a giveaway now or shadow defender and your good to go. no need for security or sandboxie.

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Agree and disagree.
    Shadow Defender is an excellent addition to (almost) any setup, I would advise against having this as your sole defense as SD will restore your PC to a clean state (providing it was clean to begin with) SD will not help in the event of banking malware/keylogger and the like and going to a bank/shopping/sensitive site without rebooting first. I strongly believe in the layered security approach.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

DefenseWall (32-bit only)

Shadow Defender (32/64-bit)

9. javahole

Cheers for the ideas.

I hadnt looked at Yesshield before. I would imagine it has the double benefit of keeping all the garbage off your PC and keeping it light.

I noticed in a video on Shadow Defender (Yesshield aka) ,that all your files virtually stay the same as when you started unless you allow otherwise, APART FROM , i noticed the temp files which slightly increased.

Seing as Java exploits can be found alot in the temp files will Shadow Defender/Yesshield protect you from Java throughout your entire system ?

Thanks

10. KelvinW4

Yes, it will virtualize the entire system.

11. javahole

Just read this, although i have zero experience of using Comodo free CIS ;

http://blogs.comodo.com/pc-security/computer-protection/java-zero-day-exploit-why-i-am-not-worried/

I spose i could ditch my trusty Avira AV and go for an all in one job? Another can of worms. :rolleyes:

HIPS + sandbox + AV sounds interesting IF it can do as he says and keep the pesky Java exploits out of my system ? I'd guess if the HIPS and sandbox perform well, then the AV performance should not be of too much concern.

Can it wipe the session slate clean like Shadow Defender though? That would be abit greedy i guess.

12. KelvinW4

Indeed it would be great for CIS 6 to come out.
    It will include:
    -virtual kiosk
    -fully virtualization
    -av caches files for speed up on performance or scan

It cannot wipe like SD because it does not perform system-wide virtualization. However, I would trust it to protect against any bad guys out there

AV + Behavior Blocking (true comes out on 6.1 or so) + Firewall + HIPS

13. javahole

''Indeed it would be great for CIS 6 to come out''

KelvinW4,

Any whispers when that is likely to be ?:) I'll have to find out exactly what the current one does vs 6 first and whether its just a simple update. Blimey whats gonna happen to companies like Avira ?

I'm getting abit too interested in this stuff. I need to get out more. :eek:

Maybe its something about no worries browsing which i've never experienced before. :argh:

14. KelvinW4

Not sure when it'd come out. They'd never say it anymore since users complained so much about its super-super-super-super-super-super- late release of the beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.