Best against Leaks?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by LnSuser, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotSure

NotSure Guest

When SSM blocks a process and displays the menu for one to choose how to react, it not only stupidly blocks it but also describes which process has been intercepted AND the action this process is attempting to perform to/against this or that system component/application (for example, access and run Opera.exe).

If the file has nothing to do with the example's browser, nor is supposed to access it, then there's no reason to allow it to do so, and so SSM is simply instructed by the user to block it. What more does a firewall have?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
  2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

A firewall can restrict network access completely, being able to restrict it to certain protocols, ports or addresses only and (in many cases) being able to filter certain protocols.

Calling a browser is only one example of a leaktest technique, others (like DNSTester) do not need to call another program so would not be trapped by SSM.

Finally SSM suspends processes pending user response rather than just blocking them - choosing to allow the action would not work otherwise.

3. ~~~~

~~~~ Guest

SSm is nice but recommending that it replace a personal firewall with outbound filtering... well I think people are trying to be too clever for their own good by focusing only on the tricky leak test methods.

You do know that such a move leaves you vulnerable to a straight forward, none-tricky outbound attempt right? And those are probably most common anyway.

4. NotSure

NotSure Guest

HI Paranoid and ~~~~,
    Well, I hear you.... I may have to rethink my strategy after all.
    Do you think using ssm along Outpost may work or is it too resource consuming to combine those two programs? Three if I mention AV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.