benefits of registry cleaners

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by perubique, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perubique

perubique Registered Member

Howdy :D

Can please any one tell me, where I find hard data on the benefits of registry cleaners? Is it really necessary to use them?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Howdy perubique,

Take a look through this thread and post any question there you may have.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi there, "hard data" is all over the place, try Google and you'll find lots and lots of "facts" and even more opinions. Here's my opinion: Be careful. Cleaning the registry of old entries left over from long gone programs and such is not itself dangerous. But, what can happen is that some programs that remove these entries can overdo it and remove entries that may be needed by other programs or a part of the system. If you feel the need for cleaning, find a cleaner that A: automatically backs up the registry before cleaning, or B: Gives an option to back it up and please make sure you use that option.

Registry entries are pretty safe to leave behind and honestly do not cause big problems with performance. Take up some space, yeah, but cause problems if left alone, nah :)

Edit: Oops, sorry Ronjor, you got there while I was typing :)

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Registry cleaners are a relatively benign outlet for obsessive-compulsive tendancies.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Actually i see no benefit in using it,the OS is way smarter in managing the registry then whatever cleaner can do. leftovers due to uninstalls are not a problem,have no impact on proper working and speed,because of the way how windows read and write to the registry ( nonsequential ).

6. perubique

So you would say: not using a 'cleaner' is no loss?

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I would say not only that, but you also get the benefit of no over-aggressive cleaning and accidentally getting rid of an entry that should be left alone.

8. cortez

cortez Registered Member

This seems like a rational solution for those of us who have a limited knowledge of the registry and find our selves messing things up with registry cleaners (even the "benign " ones have caused me to re-image an OS).

I do use "NTREGOPT", ERUNTS "registry optimizer" with absolutely no problems; freeware as well . It is practically idiot proof as I can attest.

9. perubique

Why is all this not more widely known? Why are they even still selling cleaners? Silly questions...

Thank you all very much :)

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

To make money and give average users the illusion, they need it very badly.
    When something looks very unlogical follow the money.

11. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

It is not uncommon to have a program not install properly due to crap left over in the registry from a previous install that was not properly removed during uninstall. I usually use REGEDIT rather than a cleaner, but that is one case where the registry is not "self maintaining".

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I use a registry cleaner for any traces left over from a sloppy uninstall.
    There was comparison done by the developer of jv16 PowerTools quite a few years ago. I don't have the link anymore or know if the test is still available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.