Bellgamin Says He Can't Post Here ??

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Randy_Bell, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Randy

Kind of hard to help until he post back and answers a couple of questions. I have been watching the post.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Randy_Bell,

I saw the thread and as you can see a Wilders Mod is trying to help him. ;)
    I´m sure CrazyM will do everything in his power to get this resolved.

Regards,

Pieter

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks for the attention, folks.

If you can read this post, I have obviously resolved my problem, based on suggestions obtained at DSLR.

What I did was turn my Firewall off, to isolate whether or not that is the problem. If it turns out to be so, then I'll tinker with it so I can visit Wilders without having to turn it off every time.

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

3 days ago I had, just like you, problems with The Wilders Forum, I couldn't start a new topic.

Was a big surprise for me, because that was the first time the specific problem appeared.

After a lot of brainstorming I found the cause of the problem: Proxomitron....

Is all very strange, 'cause The Wilders Forum worked always perfect together with The Prox!

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Please thinker - this board surely is available with a firewall enabled, OutPost included. No need to drop your defenses ;).

regards.

paul

7. Paul Wilders

Strange indeed. Have you narrowed to specific problem in regard to the Prox down?

regards.

paul

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I had today and yesterday the kind of problems which i think has either to do with cookies settings in the firewall and how to handle advertisements (banners, not the popups):
    i noticed with setting to have an empty box where with mouse-over the advertisement would be displayed i had trouble on this and the DCS forums at their site, surfing and posting here was very difficult and the pages looked weird, on the latter i had either no access at all or couldn't surf at all. With setting "nothing" for advertisments and always blocked i seem not to have problems on both forums.
    Maybe these are things to look in as well with the security settings in browsers, proxies, firewalls, whatever toys we use.

EDITED:
    makes me thinking: in the UBB software is a function which might get activated named "spoiler"
    The goal of it is users put images in the "spoiler" so images are not displayed normally (to speed up page load) but only if a user drags the mouse over them to see them at wish.
    Maybe if that function gets activated here the problem with this advertisment blockage setting and related security could be over and thus people's problems with access and posting. Just a thought.

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I have checked all settings of the Prox, nothing unusual found. o_O

'Till I find the real Prox-solution I simply activate the Prox "bypass" function when I'm on this board, everything on the Wilders Forum run then smoothly! :D

10. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

After a lot of brainstorming I found the cause of the problem: Proxomitron....

Is all very strange, 'cause The Wilders Forum worked always perfect together with The Prox!
    Strange indeed. Have you narrowed to specific problem in regard to the Prox down?

regards.

paul
    I found the definitive solution! :)

I have made a special trusted filter in The Proxo especially for this forum, don't use the bypass-function anymore, The Prox runs like always and I have full access to the Wilders Forum. :D

11. Paul Wilders

Thanks for posting this valuable info!

(Nevertheless, I'm still interested in the actual cause of the original prob..).

regards.

paul

12. bellgamin

Okay, I found the problem. I started using K9 AntiSpam about 5-6 days ago. It sets itself up as a proxy. Evidently, K9 plus OP somehow confuse what gets sent to the Wilder's board as the "referring site." That's why I kept getting the error message, "Invalid referring site."

Once I disabled K9 I could post here WITH Outpost still running.

If you understand what was going on between the board, K9, & OP, please explain it to me. Duhhh. :p

Peace unto all.......bellgamin

13. Paul Wilders

Sounds like a good idea to me. Many members/visitors over here do use OutPost without encountering problems.

regards.

paul

14. bellgamin

Paul - My apologies. I edited my message because I figured out the problem. While I was editing, you replied to my original post.

Sorry. Bottom line is good, however -- now we know the cause of the problem, in my case at least.

regards.......bell

15. Paul Wilders

No need to apologize - happens to all of us ;)

Would you mind sharing the found culprit?

regards.

paul

16. bellgamin

The culprit was K9, as explained by my edited post, above, reply #11.

Your board obviously expects the referring site for a post to be a thread on the Wilder's forum. Rightfully so.

To check email for spam, K9 sets itself up as a proxy in my computer. My guess is that K9's proxy somehow confused Outpost. Thus, Outpost wouldn't allow my Browser to give your board the referring page information that your board requires in order to put a posting in the proper thread at the proper place.

In essence, my browser was telling your board, "Here are some comments. Stick them somewhere." :p

Thus, your board had no idea as to WHICH of your board's threads my post applied to. Ergo, your board correctly reported the error, "invalid referring site."

Bottom line - the problem was NOT with your board. By the way, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I hope somebody with REAL computer smarts will clear the waters that I have so thoroughly muddied.

shalom.......bell

17. Paul Wilders

Thanks Bell - others might benefit from this additional info!

regards,

paul

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

We had some more confusion with K9 here
    http://diamondcs.com.au/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1524

19. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Just like you I want to know why suddenly The Prox have problems with your board, because it was always working fine together with Wilders, and I didn't change anything in the Prox-settings.

For me it is all very strange, there MUST be an explanation but I am not able to find it! :mad:
    Have tried today again to find the cause, no results, now I take a nice cold beer! :)

Is it magic or something else, what do you thinko_O :rolleyes:

20. Paul Wilders

I'm with you here ;)

Keep on trying - on finding the culprit as well as having a beer :D

ehh...I never believed in magic :rolleyes:.

regards.

paul

21. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Well, I'll tell you one more time - I had the exact same problem ("Invalid Referring Site") - and guess what?

I don't run Prox or K-9 here!

Hello?

It was OutPost that lost the settings for the site - once I re-set OP to accept everything for this site "Active Content"-wise, I experienced no further problems. HTH Pete

22. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I wouldn't say it was definately K9 that was totally at fault, I use it fine and dont have any problems,but then I dont use Outpost firewall ;)

23. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Pete!

I assume you have the same Outpost Beta-version I use, but my settings for the Wilders Site are all o.k., of course I double checked it.

So Outpost is (in my case) not the problem, it has to be the Prox, 'cause when I give in the Prox the Wilders Site the status "trusted site" there are no problems anymore....

24. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

At this moment I think the cause in the Prox will never be found, have done everything but cannot find the real problem in the Prox! :doubt:

I'm very disappointed in myself, take now 3 beers at once to forget my misery....... :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.