Belarc advisor for listing updates installed...? to list ones that are not?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I have little desire to use XP Automatic Updates

the biggest problems I have doing the manual updates are

a) am I installing a patch that is an earlier form of a newer patch?
    (will this blow anything up?)
    b) am I installing a patch that was already included in a cumulative patch?
    (will this blow anything up?)
    c) did I overlook an important patch. maybe one from 3 years ago, but is still important.
    (are there obscure, but important ones not included in the cumulative patches - perhaps needing to be installed separately - perhaps ms just lost interest in them (323507?))
    d) am i not understanding the logic of nomenclature that labels sp1 compatable patches as sp2 and sp3(?)

To sum it up:
    Is there a program that will examine my computer and tell me if I have not installed something that I really should have? (I realize that does not mean I will be able to find the update...)

Any little hints will be highly appreciated. I am beginning to realize managing XP updates is not the simple task I had believed that it was. Criticle is in the eye of end user!

- HandsOff

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

U will find some tips here: http://www.engr.sc.edu/its/?c=28

3. HandsOff

Thanks again!

I tried MBSA a few months ago, and had some problems with it. This looks like a better explanation, and besides, I may understand the issues better now. It's been a real challenge.

I know people are always heaping praise on Wilder's, and it gets boring to read...but for gosh sakes, I was afraid to install a hard drive before I met Paul and his friends. If this learning continues I could someday become "a Computer Guru."

- HandsOff

4. HandsOff

Hmmmmmmmm

the now instead of Automatic Updates scaning my computer for two minutes, I get MBSA scanning for five minutes and connecting to microsoft to compare with the security analysis database?

and even then they include a comment about if one of MY updates is a later version then the one in THEIR database? Sorry guys, it's not true. I am not the author of Windows Updates!

and lastly:

CAN I GET AN UPDATE THAT WILL MAKE MICROSOFT QUIT TELLING ME THAT I DO NOT HAVE SP2 INSTALLEDo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.