Belarc advisor for listing updates installed...? to list ones that are not?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I have little desire to use XP Automatic Updates

the biggest problems I have doing the manual updates are

a) am I installing a patch that is an earlier form of a newer patch?
    (will this blow anything up?)
    b) am I installing a patch that was already included in a cumulative patch?
    (will this blow anything up?)
    c) did I overlook an important patch. maybe one from 3 years ago, but is still important.
    (are there obscure, but important ones not included in the cumulative patches - perhaps needing to be installed separately - perhaps ms just lost interest in them (323507?))
    d) am i not understanding the logic of nomenclature that labels sp1 compatable patches as sp2 and sp3(?)

To sum it up:
    Is there a program that will examine my computer and tell me if I have not installed something that I really should have? (I realize that does not mean I will be able to find the update...)

Any little hints will be highly appreciated. I am beginning to realize managing XP updates is not the simple task I had believed that it was. Criticle is in the eye of end user!

- HandsOff

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

U will find some tips here: http://www.engr.sc.edu/its/?c=28

3. HandsOff

Thanks again!

I tried MBSA a few months ago, and had some problems with it. This looks like a better explanation, and besides, I may understand the issues better now. It's been a real challenge.

I know people are always heaping praise on Wilder's, and it gets boring to read...but for gosh sakes, I was afraid to install a hard drive before I met Paul and his friends. If this learning continues I could someday become "a Computer Guru."

- HandsOff

4. HandsOff

Hmmmmmmmm

the now instead of Automatic Updates scaning my computer for two minutes, I get MBSA scanning for five minutes and connecting to microsoft to compare with the security analysis database?

and even then they include a comment about if one of MY updates is a later version then the one in THEIR database? Sorry guys, it's not true. I am not the author of Windows Updates!

and lastly:

CAN I GET AN UPDATE THAT WILL MAKE MICROSOFT QUIT TELLING ME THAT I DO NOT HAVE SP2 INSTALLEDo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.