Behind a router: HIPS+software firewall needed?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by metalurgs, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timestand

timestand Former Poster

as I say dont give them admin password. but i know what you mean. but trust me some people dont learn. So best way default deny. Ok?

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As timestand has done in several other threads, he has begun repeatedly re-phrasing the same boilerplate comments, again & again & again. Obviously English is not his first language but that is no excuse for insulting people's intelligence who do not choose to use his preferred security approach.

That's 30 for me in this thread. Too bad -- for a while it was an interesting discussion.

3. timestand

timestand Former Poster

alway pick me. why not pick wat0114. very sad.

4. falkor

falkor Registered Member

For the most part , I found this thread to be enlightening to some and actually enjoyable to read as , for the most part , this thread stayed on track . I will not add to this discussion more as most everything needed to answer the OP request has been stated .:cool:

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

What does this mean, thats 30?

Sul.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Wow, you really can learn something new every day. Thanks.

Sul.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Since you prefer a minimalist approach, try your very best to run as a limited user; just keep your admin account intact, and create a lua account if you haven't already and hopefully all you apps work flawlessly from it. For software i don't know what to recommend to you. Maybe start easy like SandBoxie or Defensewall? Have a backup image plan in place. The free Macrium Reflect works nice, and depending on the version of Win 7 you have, it may have a disk backup functionality already built in. It's so very nice to have this if something goes wrong :)

LOL! Looking for a partner in crime are we :p It could be you are constantly quoting poor Bellgamin in your responses. You gotta employ some tact, my friend ;)

Then that's a human error problem. This is eliminated, of course, on a multi-user machine that is administered by someone with the knowledge and common sense to install software from only known trusted sites and keeps the pw to themselves. My kid's XP machines are setup this way; limited acccounts and SRP with forced sandboxed web facing apps, and a nice backup plan of the system parts to two separate physical locations. Old machines that they are, they run nice and efficient with so little overhead because I've also disabled many unneeded services (both run < 25).

Of course, this is where obtain software from known trusted sites works splendidly, at least for me. Never failed me once.

Usually a waste of time, from my experience, if above approach is employed.

The greatest and probably only benefit from my experience using a HIPS was the learning aspect, but this is not going to help the majority of people out there, because most have no interest on inter-process activity at all. They just want to do things with their pc's without all the pop-ups to analyze and answer.

On a single user machine who doesn't know what they're doing and is only interested in installing gimmicky apps like “free” screensavers and launching every emailed attachment sent to them by their buddys, then of course no amount of security will help them anyway, especially when they know the admin pw.

Impossible, can't be done if the interest isn't there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.