Beginners questions about PG

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Untouchable J, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Untouchable J

Untouchable J Registered Member

Good Morning,

I have a couple of messages in processguard that I am unsure if I should allow or keep blocking. I'm fairly new with PG so hopefully somebody here can help me out:

1) thguard.exe (Trojanhunter guard) tried to install a driver/service called mchinjdrv. Allow or block?

2) mpfservice.exe (a process for my Mcafee firewall plus) tried to install a driver/service (dont list the name of driver).

3) mcvsescn.com (McAfee VirusScan E-mail Scan Module) was blocked from creating a global mouse hook, global keyboard hook, global getmessage hook, global SYSTEM message filter hook.

4) adaware.exe (Ad-aware Professional) was blocked from terminating smss.exe (this happens when starting a system scan with AA).

Also could you give me a general idea what processes should be allowed to modify to function properly? Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2, PG version 3.150.

Thank You

-J

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Untouchable J
    You should follow the alerts given by ProcessGuard and as a rule of thumb allow trusted processes to do their thing.

I am not familiar with TH or McAfee programs but I am sure other users will offer their setting.
    For AdAware I allow the default settings, I do not run the AdWatch part of the suit as a rule but again give it what it requires as it is a trusted program.

For further in formation about some processes go here: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/pgdb/ It is still in it's embryonic state but will grow over time :)

HTH Pilli

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

For THGuard.exe and TrojanHunter.exe, I recommend that you ALLOW them the right to do the following:

Terminate Protected Programs
    Modify Protected Programs
    Read from Protected Programs
    Install Drivers/Services
    Install Global Hooks

For Ad-Watch, I recommend that you ALLOW it to the following:

Terminate Protected Programs
    Modify Protected Programs
    Read from Protected Programs
    Install Global Hooks

4. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

It seems that you use McAfee Security Suite (AV, Firewall...).

***For mpfservice.exe:It's necessary for McAfee PersonalFirewall: Permit it always.

***For the E-Mail scan module, it happens when you use Outlook:permit it always.

***For Adware scan, i don't use it, but i hope you'll have an answer by others helpers.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.