Beginner's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD with a TI Plugin

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mustang, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidTyson

DavidTyson Registered Member

I'm having one problem so far.

I have put my drivers and the TI plugin from the install in the correct place in pebuilder.

When I start the program I select everything correctly.

When I go to 'Help' on the True image plugin I follow those instructions.

Now there is one instruction which says to run a file called help.cmd or fasthelp.cmd, something like that.

When I run that, I assume it is meant to copy Windows files over? It starts task 1 and then says that it could not find the True Image.exe file.

Cant get it to work - any ideas??

Could it not be finding the TrueImage.exe file because True Image isnt installed on the C: drive?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  2. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi David,

Yes, the plugin assumes that TI was installed to the default location. See my posts #92 and #95 in this thread for an explanation.

The easiest way around this is to temporarily copy the TI folder from wherever you installed it to C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome. Use the correct name for your version of TI (Home, Workstation, Server or EnterpriseServer). After you configure the plugin, you can delete the folder. The Common Files should already be on your C: drive.

3. DavidTyson

DavidTyson Registered Member

Fantastic, cheers Mustang - I thought that may gave been the case!

I'll have another go when I get home today and tell you how it goes.:thumb:

4. mustang

mustang Developer

I've updated the Guide to include a link to the FixDellXP plugin for those having problems building a BartPE CD from a Dell I386 folder or Recovery CD. These Dell sources have missing files that stop the BartPE CD from booting. The plugin should fix the problem for Dell users.

I've also included a link to a Driver Pack for those having problems finding network and mass storage drivers to include in the C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\Net and C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\SCSIAdapter folders. The Driver Pack will also make it possible to use the BartPE CD on many different computers.

5. desertdad

desertdad Registered Member

I have Roxio on my machine (winxp sp2). Will using the Nero code (from creating a winxp install cd from I386) conflict with Roxio? Should I use something from Roxio instead of Nero?

6. mustang

mustang Developer

You should not have any conflict. First, you could try copying wnaspi32.dll from your C:\Windows\System32 folder. If that gives you any kind of error message at the CD burning phase, download the Nero wnaspi32.dll and use it. Each company has there own version of wnaspi32.dll. Some will work and some will not.

7. como

como Registered Member

Mustang, I think I can say for all of us who have no knowledge of BartPE many thanks for all the work you put into getting TI to work successfully

8. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi como,

You're very welcome.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I second that. Exceptional work you're doing Mustang. :thumb:

10. desertdad

Novice feedback on this guide: (I'm building on a Dell 8250, winxp pro, about 4 years old)

1. I made the mistake of trying to use the C:|I386 and slipstreaming failed. Not a big deal, I went to the Dell recovery CD for their I386 which included SP1. I added the SP2 package from Microsoft as directed.
    2. Slipstreaming process completed successfully, but the actual text of the completion message was "Integrated install has been completed successfully."
    3. Created a CD, return code 0.
    4. Booted, but here's my question. I ended up at a Windows Setup screen that I opted completely out of (chickened out) because I didn't like the look of my options.
    "Windows XP Professional Setup

If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it.

Use the UP and DOWN Arrow keys to select an installation.
    . To repair the selected Windows XP installation, Press R
    . To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows SP without repairing, press ESC."

(there was only one windows line item)
    C:\Windows "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

I don't want to "repair" my existing windows installation.
    I don't want to install a new windows xp professional from my boot cd.
    I thought all I would get was a boot and startup of a VGA GUI windows in memory.
    Have I got the concept wrong?
    Did something not go the way it should have?
    Am I simply paranoid and if so, what should I select next time?
    As you can tell, I'm a rank amateur at this, TIA for any help.

11. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

The BartPE CD is designed to carry it's own Windows O/S. Upon booting, you see the familiar Windows splash screen. Without Windows, the BartPE CD is not going anywhere.

12. como

como Registered Member

I believe that from what you have said above that you booted the slipstreamed Windows CD

What you need to do is to boot normally into Windows, insert the slipstreamed CD (if it starts to boot stop it as soon as possible) and use explorer to copy the I386 folder from the CD to your hard drive, when building your BartPE disk point Bart to this I386 folder.

If you prefer when you are building your Bart disk you can point Bart to the CD instead, but I have always found it quicker to have the folder on the computer, especially if Acronis release several new builds as you should make a new BartPE disk for every new build.

13. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Its always recommended that you copy the complete XP cd to your hard drive. The I386 folder alone is not sufficient to build a BartPE disk.

14. como

como Registered Member

I think I saw someone say just to copy the I386 folder when I built my first BartPE disk and it has always seemed to work for me, but I will bow to your greater knowledge as I am just a beginner at this BartPE thingy

15. desertdad

Thanks for your quick replies and encouragement. I don't have a windows install cd, so I am stuck with building from I386 directories. When I saw item 10 in the Beginners Guide say "After you're sure the CD works...", I thought that meant I had to make sure it actually booted to Windows (see how much I have to learn.). I'll continue with the rest of the process now...and I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Thanks again..

16. thomasjk

Desertdad can use the I386 folder to create an XP cd with SP2 slipstreamed per Mustang's guide not a BartPE disk. For BartPE you need a complete install CD. Once the install CD is created you can copy the contents to the hard drive.

17. dld

dld Registered Member

18. thomasjk

Double Click the file AutoHelp.CMD after you extract the plugin to the proper place.

19. dld

dld Registered Member

Thanks Thomas. For some reason I thought this was to be run from the command line or simulated DOS.:ninja:

I was successful in creating the BartPE c/w all drivers for any computer including networking drivers. Unbelievable!

20. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi dld

Very good.

To me, the unbelievable part is that Acronis doesn't give this to everyone.

21. desertdad

Success! I just created my first BartPE boot disk! Pretty basic because my images are all on local internal hard drives. I am using the latest TI10 Home version. I did not add anything from XPE nor net or scsi drivers, so this is about as simple as it gets. I'm stunned by how much work went into BartPE and the Beginners Guide plus the Acronis plugin. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start playing with options, but this has been a good night!:thumb:

22. dld

dld Registered Member

Hi Mustang.. I used a Dell Reinstallation disk that included SP2. I'm interested in creating a slipstreamed disk following your instructions in the Beginner's Guide to Creating a BarPE disk. There is one person who mentions problems here. My problem is that when try to run "xpsp2_en_x86.exe -s:c:\BCD\cds\wxphome\files" I get ... is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I've tried numerous times slipstreaming a Dell Reinstallation disk with SP2 using third-party programs without success. I've always end up with a screen telling me that it is impossible to slipstream a Dell OEM reinstallation disk with SP2. Any ideas? BTW, the quotes are not included in the command.

23. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi dld,

That error is telling you xpsp2_en_x86.exe does not exist in the directory you tried to run it from. The directions tell you to download the SP2 file from Microsoft. Then you need to rename the downloaded file to xpsp2_en_x86.exe. Then put the renamed file into C: root. Open a command prompt and change directories to C:\ with "cd C:\". To confirm the file is there, type "dir". You will see a listing of all the directories and files in C:\. Xpsp_en_x86.exe should be listed in the right hand column. Now issue the command "xpsp2_en_x86.exe -s:c:\BCD\cds\wxphome\files".

24. dld

dld Registered Member

Here are my relevant directories and a screenshot of the command prompt screen:

http://services.arnit.net/images_to_go/users2/ScreenShot0841059050321.jpg

http://services.arnit.net/images_to_go/users2/ScreenShot0851100230321.jpg

http://services.arnit.net/images_to_go/users2/IMG_0356x(Small)1132560321.JPG

25. thomasjk

As Mustang said you need to put the file in the root directory of drive C:. You have it in a folder with the same name as the file. That's why it doesn't work. Move the file up to IDE_C C:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.