Beginner's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD with a TI Plugin

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mustang, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Did you add the Sata drivers for your motherboard to the BartPE build?

2. ColinJason

ColinJason Registered Member

Ok, here are some of the requested answers;

1) The BartPE disc was created using an OEM copy of Windows XP Home.

2) It is NOT a Dell CD (I read about that).

3) I did not supply SATA drivers, as Windows XP has them natively.

4) I'm running Windows Vista on both the machine to be worked on, as well as the machine that the BartPE CD was created on.

5) Shuttle, the chassis manufacturer, lists a RAID driver package on their site, but as I said earlier, I've never needed them because the O/S natively supports it. Yes, I installed Windows XP on the same computer before I started using Vista, so I know this for a fact.

All the above being said, I did some googling, and found mentions of people talking about possible issues with the SIS driver package that's dropped into the BartPE directories, when using the 'Driver Pack' that's mentioned in Mustang's tutorial. I did use this when following the steps.

Reading that, I decided to follow the advice I had found, and just removed the entire SIS directory from the /drivers directory in BartPE's build location, and rebuilt the BartPE CD. This CD DID boot successfully, and allowed me to start TrueImage 10 in the BartPE environment. Further, it also successfully saw my SATA hard drive installed in the machine. So, for this particular application, the removal of the SIS folder was necessary due to driver conflicts. I wanted to point that out for others, in case they ran into this same issue.

I still have yet to do a full backup to test it, but I'll report back when I'm done.

3. mustang

mustang Developer

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad it worked for you.

4. ColinJason

ColinJason Registered Member

Good news;

I was able to successfully make, verify, and restore a full backup of my test system. Yay! Of course, this means that I could do it in UNDER the 5-7 + hours that it would have taken with the crap Acronis recovery CD.

Mustang: you may want to make a note in your guide about possible driver conflicts if using the 'Driver Pack' (aka UBCD4win) to populate the drivers for a BartPE build. I made mine this way specifically because I'm a system builder, and I wanted the BartPE CD to work on a variety of systems...so using the big package of drivers seemed like a good idea. However, these SATA drive systems can be pretty picky it seems.

Now, if I could just get a bootable USB flash drive to work....damn thing... ;)

5. mustang

mustang Developer

Done.

6. thomasjk

7. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the heads up. I followed that link, but it gave a page not found error. I tried the Driver Packs from http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks, but that gave me many build error. To avoid problems, I've decided to eliminate mention of Driver Packs from the Guide.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Strange. Both links have just worked for me. o_O

Regards

Menorcaman

9. thomasjk

And it just worked for me also.

10. como

como Registered Member

And me

11. mustang

mustang Developer

The bad link is at the bottom of the first post of the UBCD4Win link to BTS MassStorage Driver Pack for BartPE.

12. thomasjk

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

14. mustang

mustang Developer

Now that there is a new version of TI 11 released, I thought it would be a good time to remind everyone how easy it is to upgrade the Mustang TI plugins. After installing the new build, just go to the TI plugin folder in pebuilder and double click RESET.CMD. Then double click AutoHelp.cmd. The plugin will automatically upgrade to the new build. Now build a new BartPE CD and you are done.

15. mustang

mustang Developer

Free upgrade for Mustang's True Image Home 11.0 BartPE plugin.

If you purchased the TI 11 plugin, you can download a free upgrade here.

Just follow these simple steps in the ReadMe.txt file to uprade the plugin:

1. Unzip the file UpgradeTI11.zip.

2. Double click the file RESET.cmd in the plugin folder for True Image Home 11.0 (C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\TrueImageHome11).

3. Copy INF.dat and PlugSettings.ini to C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\TrueImageHome11\PRE replacing the existing files.

4. Double click the file AutoHelp.cmd to configure the plugin.

5. Rebuild your BartPE CD.

Change Log:

1. 10/09/2007 Added UDFS support to enable restoring from CD/DVD.
    You need two optical drives to restore from CD/DVD.
    The BartPE CD can't be removed.
    You could boot BartPE from a USB drive if you only have one optical drive.

2. 11/09/2007 Fixed the problem with the runtime error when trying to do a files/folders backup.
    Files/folders backups are now working.

16. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

In order to create a USB flashdrive with BartPE ATI, what size of USB flashdrive shoud I select, 1 GB or 4 GB? Obviously, smaller size would be convenient. Sarutaro

17. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

sarutaro:

I built a USB flash drive version of BartPE that includes TI Home 10 and Disk Director 10, along with the standard stuff that most would include in BartPE and it occupies 420 MB on the drive. I've even included the pdf manuals for both products in the build.

18. sarutaro

That is a very useful information. Nowaday, it appears that popular flashdrive is 2 or 4 GB.

I have a queston about the use of Bart PE boot disk. When I use ATI Rescue Disk for restore, my wireless keyboard and mouse (Microsoft wireless 6000) do not work. So I got to use WIRED mouse and keyboard. I wonder whether Bart PE bootdisk with ATI plugin would enable the use of wirelss keyboard and mosue or not. It apears that BartPE disk should work. Sarutaro

19. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi sarutaro,

I seem to think there may be problems with USB drives over 2 GB. I would use a 2 GB drive.

Your wireless mouse and keyboard should have no problem working under BartPE.

20. sarutaro

Yesterday, I created a BartPE-ATI 10 plugin bootCD according to Mustang's protocol without any hitch. I used SP2-slipstreamed Dell WinXP Pro disk. When booted, the disk saw the listing of Acronis True Image and also saw the all Harddisk including flashdrive and external drive.

But during the booting, it prompted a popup about "Networking" (I forgot its exact wording). Since my computer is not involved with networking, I would like to kill the Network popup. I wonder whether the deletion of of Net folder (c:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\Net\) could eliminate it or not. But I am concerned that its deletion could disable creating the boot disk. Please advise me. Sarutaro

21. mustang

mustang Developer

No, don't delete this folder. This folder is used to install drivers for NIC's.

You can stop the popup message by disabling the "PENETCFG:Automatically start PE Network configurator" plugin. Start pebuilder.exe and hit the Plugins button. You will see two PENETCFG plugins that are enabled by default. Just disable the one that automatically starts the configurator.

22. sarutaro

Thanks Mustang,
    I will follow your instruction.

Since I do not have prior experience with BartPE, I have another related question. As mentioned before, I successfully created BartPE/ATI boot disk. Your instruction was very precise. Now, I want to make the second Bart/ATI disk after disabling the Penetcfig as you advised. My question is how. When I click "Build" to burn PEbuilder.iso CD, it starts to delete PE Builder and it did not burn the 2nd CD. I wonder whether I should start from the scratch again, i.e., uninstalling PE Buldider, installing PE builder, adding WinXP, Plugins, etc.
    Sarutaro

23. mustang

mustang Developer

Don't start over. Just start pebuilder.exe and change the "Media output" from "None" to "Burn to CD/DVD".

24. sarutaro

Mustang,

I created BartPE Boot Disk with three plugins (TI v. 10, total commander, and Nero 6.6.0.16) for my office computer using your protocol and tested just now. I used your comment on the killing Network popup. Here is my report.

1. Restoration for 10ofifce14.tib (9.3 GB on D-HD) took 8 min. So TI worked beatifully. It sees flashdrive and also the external drive (Seagate FreeAgent).
    2. No more popup for networking.
    3. Wireless keyboard and mouse (Microsoft Wireless laser 6000) worked nicely. No need to use wired mouse and keyboard.
    4. Total commander worked nicely.

I am very happy with this BootDisk. Here is a problem. Nero plugin did not work. I thought you could help me with this problem.

Under c:\pebuilder3110a\plugin, I tried to set Nero Burning Rom "eenable" . That did not work. The error was

PluginCheck failed:
    Missing files: files\*.prf

I search *.prf on my computer. There was none. I feel that the missing *.prf file could be the reason why Nero plugin failed.

I also changed c:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\nero burning rom\penero.inf as follows:

; nero.inf
    ; PE Builder v3 plug-in INF file for Nero Burning Rom 5.5.x and 6.x
    ; Created by Bart Lagerweij

[Version]
    Signature= "$Windows NT$"

[PEBuilder]
    Name="Nero Burning Rom"
    Enable=0
    Help="penero.htm"

; Nero v5.x
    ; Uncomment the 4 lines below to include registration
    ; Make sure you also uncomment the "[Software.AddReg]" line!!!
    ;
    ; [Software.AddReg]
    ; 0x1, "ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Info", "User", "Your name"
    ; 0x1, "ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Info", "Company", "Your company name"
    ; 0x1, "ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Info", "Serial5", "nnnn-nnnn-nnnn-nnnn-nnnn-nnnn"

; Nero v6.x
    ; Uncomment the 4 lines below to include registration
    ; Make sure you also uncomment the "[Software.AddReg]" line!!!
    ;
    ; [Software.AddReg]
    ; 0x1, "ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Info", "User", "In C. Kim"
    ; 0x1, "ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Info", "Company", "Insitus Biotechnologies"
    ; 0x1, "ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Info", "Serial6", " snip "

[WinntDirectories]
    a="Programs\Ahead\Nero",2 (Note: I thought this is correct location of Nero)
    [SourceDisksFiles]
    files\*.cfg=a,,1
    files\*.vdb=a,,1
    files\*.prf=a,,1
    files\*.exe=a,,1
    files\*.txt=a,,1
    files\*.msg=a,,1
    files\*.dll=a,,1
    files\nero.exe=a,,1
    files\wnaspi32.dll=a,,1
    nero.cmd=a,,1

[Append]
    nu2menu.xml, penero_nu2menu.xml

Please advise me how to fix this problem. This is my learning process for BartPE. Thanks. Sarutaro

25. mustang

mustang Developer

Sorry, I can't help you with the Nero problem. Try the 911 CD Forum here.

Uncomment means remove ";" from beginning of line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.