BD 10

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Davidpr, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

I was a BD 10 user untillate last year when I removed it because of updating problems - it would not update automatically or manually. other minor issues also made it very annoying such as stopping my laptops mouse pad fromworking even though I allowed it access and reinstalled the drivers on several occasions.

My license is due for renewal and what BD are offering for the money is a good deal but are these issues sorted yet? BD ran well on my two machines but those annoyances did put me off.

Any ifo appreciated.

2. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Only one way to find out... try it out and see for yourself

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

After using BD9 for quite a while with no problems I decided to buy BD 10, Oh Dear! what a mistake, it really has taken a turn for the worst. Dont get me wrong its still a leading AV, but it needs to be fixed up to work properly,and there are still countless bugs in the v10. For instance the HTML scanner if turned on with dramatically reduce your browsing capabilities, or in my case it blocked browsing altogether. I moved over to Vista Ultimate, and tried the 10.2 vista compatible version of BD10, It totally froze my computer everytime I reboted the computer froze and would not fully load the Desktop. I would stay with BD9 if your happy with it,and stay well away from v10 till they really fix up the mess they created :ninja:

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont agree,

BD 10 is definatly better than BD 9.5 etc,

most, if not all the problems that were released with 10 are fixed, ive tried it on vista and it works a treat, the real-time scanning is especially good, and it only used 2mb of ram on vista (AV ONLY) with a decent scan speed and a good bootup time too.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

less problems with other programs as well
    lodore

6. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Many of these problems don't exist anymore or if they occur the problems are related to current other drivers and software that is already installed on your machine.
    There are still some minor bugs that don't effect your productivity or the antivirus functionality.
    As for the v9 vs. v10 disscussion... 10th version is a real improvement, although the 9th version has the same good engine.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I noticed a "bug" of sorts with the HTTP scanner delaying the loading of pages while using Firefox (2.0). It didn't happen with IE7 so I am wondering what exactly would cause it. It doesn't seem like it happens in Opera either. Other than that, BD10's been very sweet to me. :D

Just one thing about the BD interface: It looks plastic to me. Its like a pretty covering on a cardboard box which can be torn off. I'd love to see it with a bit more "solid" interface. :D

8. EsoxLucius

That's rather odd as my Firefox is acting better then the IE7, but it's not the first time when I hear about problems with the http scanner.
    The thing is that some firewalls (if you had any before BD) leaves drivers installed even if you have uninstalled them properly and because of that the drivers from BD IS or BD Plus are interfering causing these sort of problem. Or even worse stopping completely the internet or http traffic.
    These problems are known and they occur rather often but we're testing them and trying to give some real solutions asap.

9. Firecat

Hm...I've changed firewalls quite a bit in the past. I've used 3 firewalls: Comodo, Kerio and PC Tools Firewall. Would there be some sort of workaround so I can clean any remaining drivers of any of these 3 firewalls?

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

BUY ONLINE TODAY – TICK RENEWAL –

ENTER “PROMO753” AS YOUR SERIAL CODE & GET A 25% DISCOUNT

i dont know if its first come first served, but i aint using the code so might aswell share it to someone.

11. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

finally a decent post......congrats....
    @davidpr,
    bd10 is a excellent product......and as dawgg said,try it urself to find out...

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what do you mean finally a good post?
    the bad comments i make are generally towards symantec because of problems with there software in the past. i also bad mouth webroot and spy sweeper because i have that product and it has alot of problems.
    if i had enough money for both building my own pc and a license for bitdefender av only i would buy it no doubt about that
    lodore

13. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Firecat, You can try this action.
    Go to Command Prompt and type this command Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Then, go to Device Manager, go to View-Show hidden Devices, and see if there is any drivers left behind unnistallation mentioned firewalls or anything else in connection with those firewalls, under Non-Plug and Play Drivers

Also You could expand each of your devices and look through all the sub-components listed to see if there are some components of devices You unninstalled. They are shown in a lighter grey color.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

or,

you can check out this FANTASTIC 2-year licence (2pc's) offer here, its amazing.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120680

15. Firecat

Did this, there was a leftover driver from Hauri Virobot (Hauri Network Filter Driver :eek:). Deleted it now, so I suppose BD should work just fine now? o_O

16. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Running BD 10 again and so far so good.

17. sasa843

I hope this helped You, because I noticed that under Non-Plug and Play driver, firewalls install drivers. Now I am using Comodo and there are two parts:
    Comodo Application Engine
    Comodo Network Engine

Also I am not 100% sure about this, but You can see on Properties of Your connection under Networking Tab if there are some leftovers of those firewalls. Some firewalls install here drivers.

Best Regards

18. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

are you sure it's not the pipelining in firefox? it causes issues with kav's http scanner as well.

19. Firecat

It didn't happen with NOD as far as I can remember...I do not have a KAV license to say for sure what happens with KAV:doubt:

@sasa: I do not see any Comodo drivers present, nor does my Networking tab show anything abnormal. I think it should be fine now that I deleted the Hauri driver. Just need to install BD now :)

20. sasa843

Good luck to installing!

21. EsoxLucius

@sasa843 What is that supose to mean?

22. sasa843

Sorry, but don't get me wrong.
    I thought that I hope Firecat will install BD without problems now, as I suggested Firecat how to resolve problem.
    Maybe I didn't express as I should or wished.
    Also we are neighbours, I am from Serbia, it's not be nice to think something bad.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  23. EsoxLucius

Sorry, but I see a lot of complains regarding installation of bd everyday (and not only bd) and almost 98% of the time the computers on witch are installed are wrongly configured or are already infected.
    This is a thing that is really hard to explain to the normal users, they just expect to press next multiplied by 5 (or less if is possible) and then finish.

24. sasa843

I totally agree with You EsoxLucius.
    I wrote in this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=165567 that if the whole computer system is not in a good condition this can cause that some antiviruses do not install as it should, or show some mistakes during installation, or after. Especially beside so many disk, registry cleaners... I meant that there is no need if something get wrong during installation or after, that antivirus program must be guilty.
    I must say that when I was using Bit Defender Internet Suite 10 i had no problems with slowing down internet connection or system or problems with updates, and I am still on dial up.

25. Firecat

My computer or Internet connection has not slowed down, its just that there is a delay when using Firefox. It doesn't happen with IE7, it doesn't happen with Opera either. And it only happens when the HTTP scanner is enabled.

I reinstalled BitDefender today and I still see the same delay, though it seems better now than it did then. As before, other browsers are OK. Its not a major delay, just 1-2 seconds, but still :doubt:

Either case, I'm so impressed with my license of BitDefender AntiVirus Plus 10 that I just requested for an upgrade to the Internet Security edition. Unfortunately it seems BitDefender's sales department is closed today, so I cannot upgrade.. :(

Question for EsoxLucius: Why has BitDefender removed the purchase links from the website for upgrading from BD AV or AV+ to the Internet Security edition? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.