Batch file generator (plain text) + Batch encrypting + Removing metadata?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Phion, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phion

Phion Registered Member

Hello,

I basically want to hide a few keyfiles I use for Truecrypting containers and documents.

I'm looking for a file generator that writes 'millions' of plaintext files to my harddrive, and then batch encrypts each of them to confuse party X. I read that 'DiskTools' could generate mentioned files. Would this be a wise tool to use?

Is this possible?

Also. Is it possible to erase meta-data from files such as: last time accessed, edited, created etc? I don't like forensics tools to get an idea of what I did when and with what files. This would make it too easy to find correlations and I'd be indirectly helping party X's search.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings

2. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

Sure is! Something like Random Data File Creator will allow you to easily create a bunch of random files. Encrypting each file is probably not worth the time because encrypting random data just changes it to another state of random data. If somewhere were trying to analyze those files they wouldn't know if they were randomly generated or keyfiles or encrypted containers :)

You wouldn't want to completely remove that metadata, but you might want to modify it to make forensics a bit harder and perhaps make them useless as evidence. The Metasploit Framework used to include a tool called timestomp that you might want to try. It's no longer a standalone tool in the suite but I believe you can still download the individual binary itself.

There may be better tools to do this but hopefully this will help a little.

3. Phion

Phion Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

Timestomp looks pretty good!

I don't have enough knowledge on the deeply technical cryptographic subject, but isn't Truecrypt vulnerable to searches for specific signatures? From their website (http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/plausible-deniability) it says: "it does not contain any kind of "signature". I can't imagine this being true, seeing as cryptography is 'advanced' math. Isn't it always possible to find the mathemetical equations to see how the data is scrambled? Surely it is possible to find some correlation between various Truecrypt containers. Even 'random' data must have some kind of signature if it is made by the same application.

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I've used Disk Tools to do this. I batch encrypted them with both GPG on some and Axcrypt on others, as well as leaving some plain text. They all go in a big waving flag folder called 'Key Files' :D ...of course there's 20,000 of them, LOL.

Like the other poster said, the need to encrypt is probably just overhead, but if you have the time...

A piece of freeware called Restamper can batch change all the time stamps.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Restamper.shtml

int0x80 of Dual Core has a bash script that can do this, but also create varying sizes, which is nice.

I never even think that TC containers won't be found.

Thanks for that link to another batch generator tool!

PD

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.