Basic Bi-Directional Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TheKid7, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I want to install a basic Bi-Directional Firewall on my Windows 7 RC PC (No HIPS). I am trying to decide between Comodo Firewall and PC Tools Firewall. I have briefly tried Comodo (with Defense+) but have not yet tried PC Tools. I like low resource usage, stability and performance. Any opinions?

Thank you.

2. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

I tried Comodo, but it's too annoying with all the messages. tried also Online Armour, but the boot time of my computer increased by aprox. 30 sec. that's a lot for me. finally I tried PC Tools firewall (free) and I'm happy with it. no lags, no resource hog, no overwhelming messages and no problem at all. can only recommend it.

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Since it's windows 7 you're talking about i don't think there are official suported versions of 3 rd party firewalls.
    Did u gave windows 7 built in firewall a try? as it seems to me that would feet your needs.

4. markcc

markcc Registered Member

You may want to look at LookNStop. If you look at their forum here at Wilders they are talking about it. I am trying it right now on a xp box & it is VERY small & light.

5. simisg

simisg Registered Member

ghostwall

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Stem was working on a good vista advanced firewall guide. Much of it applies to 7. I am sure that the 'vista FW control' app, I think by sphinx software or something, will be ported to 7. It is pretty simple.

I don't know if SoftPerfect works on 7, have not tried it. It is pretty straight forward.

Sul.

7. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

I believe this is the link to Sully's above mention.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, Vista Firewall Control already works with 7 and is advertised as such on their site. I have used it without issues on 7 x64. For 7 x64 there aren't a lot of choices, just that, and Comodo also works if you install in compatibility mode, but it doesn't integrate yet with the security center, so 7 doesn't know it's there. 32 bit may give you more choices.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

There are a number of things to consider.

1) As Windows 7 is based on the Vista core it may be possible to just use the W7 FW which if it is like Vista will be two way. IMHO the main reasons to get a 3rd party FW would be to more easily manage which application get www access and which don't and the ease of rule creation. MS FW's are harder to set up for every day users.

2) You are interested in Comodo and PC Tools so you should visit their forums and look for up to date information on compatibility with Windows 7

3) If this confirms that they "work" in other words don't crash you PC you should then get these products which in this case are free unless something has changed and trial them on your setup. Not at the same time of course:D

4) Then you can see the impact on your PC resources. No FW has zero impact of course.

5) I'm less concerned with resource use than I am effectiveness, ease of use in rule creating and a minimum of recurring and reported bugs.

Other possibilities would be OnLine Armor and Outpost FW free versions.

At the moment, I would start with OP as their Vista version is well estabilished and well supported. Both at Vendor support and at the user forum which is independant of vendor control.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24216

Good luck, and report back your results. :cool:

10. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I decided to try Outpost Free. I noticed that one user (Download*com) said that it would not install on Windows 7. I decided to try the install using Windows 7 Compatibility Mode (Windows Vista SP2). The installation went well except at the very end I got some Windows error(s) along with the Window saying something about it not installing right and to try to re-install. Outpost Free "seems" to be working. I have gotten a "few" pop-ups. I remember checking a box at the end of the installation for learning for a "week". We'll see how it goes.

11. Escalader

Very interesting! As far as the one week learning mode that is the default for OP. That's said, if you have run all your applications and all your updaters for your os and the security software you would be "safe" to move to the block most OP policy. But ensure you have run everything so OP has time to implement the FW rules you need for your set up.

For user forum help go to

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/

12. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Free has no HIPS. But not sure if its supports Win7.

13. Escalader

Why not add a standalone HIPS product to it? :D

Windows 7 becomes offical in the new PC this fall as far as I have heard.

So in theory 3rd party vendors have till then to get compatible.

From a user point of view I see no real reason to rush in to Windows 7 especially if your current set up on xp or vista is "stable".I see no reason to rush in. At least wait for MS's first service pack for windows 7.:cool:

14. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Well, you could buy the Pro version and get their HIPS.
    But the OP asked for a firewall without HIPS, so I pitched ZA Free.

15. Escalader

Yes, I reread the OP but I was thrown by (no hips):cool: Oh well.

Most of these products now come with HIPS added on to the basic FW;

a free example is

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10164

Since web is NOT included in OP Free the user could get that via say the browser add ons such as phishtank and the antispam from the mail client. Combined with a top of the line free AV I can't see why I spend any money on these things:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.