BartPE Vista?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JustPlainFred, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustPlainFred

JustPlainFred Registered Member

Hello All,
    As i am new to "TI", i am a bit confused about this "Bart PE recovery disk". I am running Vista Home Premium SP-1, (TI-11 v8101, box version) After reading through various forum threads,about "TI" not being able to restore without a "Vista Bart PE" disk, (that you have to configure yourself), and after exploring the link's for this, it is obvious to me, that this is way beyond my "pay grade" Question: if i have the "TI Disk" will this work if i have to do a "full image" recovery? Sorry in advance if i have completely missed the boat on this one.Regards Plain Fred

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The reason some users need that special BartPE cd is that the standard True Image Rescue CD doesn't see their external drive that they use as the Destination for their Backup Images. So if your standard TI Rescue CD is able to see your destination drive, then you're good to go.

The usual test for the Rescue CD is to boot with it and do a "dry run" for making a Backup. If you are able to get as far into the process where you can choose your destination drive then you do not need the BartPE special.

3. JustPlainFred

DwnNdrty,
    Thanks for the reply. I have done as you have suggested, and performed the "DryRun".(loaded the "TI" disk, shut down, and restarted) I got as far(recovery) as "proceed", then clicked "cancel" Guess "i'm good to go". One more question,
    whats the purpose of having the "recovery manager" activated,when you have the "TI" disk?. Regards Plain Fred.

4. DwnNdrty

The Startup Recovery Manager goes hand in hand with the Secure Zone and is a feature (that I personally do not like - nor the SZ) that allows you to press F11 in order to do a recovery from a Backup that you have previously saved to the SZ. The SZ is usually for those with only one hard drive, but there are users who have the SZ on an external drive - this can give rise to complications if the external drive isn't present in some situations.

If you'll be doing your Restores only from the CD you do not need the SRM.

5. JustPlainFred

DwnNdrty,
    Hello and thank's for helping me clear things up (for now).I think that the "ASZ" in "TI" v2009 will be more "user friendly",(if they can get the bugs worked out) Took it for a test drive last week. Regards Plain Fred

6. oldaussiedog

oldaussiedog Registered Member

DwnNdrty,
    I wish it was always that simple. My version 11 build 8101 Recovery CD can see all my drives, however it has a problem in that it can't see/can't open the image backup it has just burnt to a DVD-R to validate it. It is worth doing a run through the whole process, including a complete restore at a convenient time, rather than find out there is a problem when you do really need it to work.

7. DwnNdrty

Putting the backup Image directly to optical media can present a myriad of problems including the fact that some optical media are better than others when it comes to True Image. If you can do an actual restore to a spare drive, that is always the way to go. If you do not have a spare drive, I hope you have an external usb drive. If not you should at least get an external drive to use as the destination for the backup Images. Then try the validate on that Image.

I definitely would not do a restore to the working system drive - if this is your first attempt at a restore.

8. oldaussiedog

oldaussiedog Registered Member

Thank you for your comments - you are right about optical media. I have recently moved to TI-11 after long use of TI-10 and many many restores. Normally my images are written from the installed program to a specific partition on a second local SATA hard drive, and I subsequently transfer a second copy from there to a large external USB Hard Drive. I also keep a copy of any significant ones on DVD-R's. Normally the restores are also done from the installed program, but in a worse case scenario like the complete wipe out of the active operating system partition, I would need to restore from the bootable recovery DVD.

In retesting all the options that I might want to use after moving to TI-11, I found they pretty much all worked, including write & verification direct to the external USB hard drive, except for including a validate process in the write of a partition image backup directly to the optical drive. The write itself is OK and can be validated as a separate process, but not with the two processes setup in the same task. I have had some assistance from Acronis Support and have tried a recovery CD based on a different Linux version as well as most of the optional commands, but so far it doesn't want to play the game in so far as this particular problem is concerned.

I have to say after TI -10, my first restore of a complete operating system partition (from an image backup on the other local SATA drive) using TI-11 was a bit of a culture shock due to the relatively long time it pauses after the first reboot with just a blue screen with EN in the bottom right hand corner and no apparent activity. That didn't occur with version 10. However now I know that's what is going to happen it wont elevate the blood pressure quite as much next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.