BartPE Plugin Paragon Backup & Recovery 10

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by TerryWood, Nov 9, 2009.

1. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

If i'm not mistaken, the plugin is universal and should work with all Paragon products as previously said by Paragon_Tommy.

Post #2

Post #8

Read the full thread carefully for better understanding.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

This is a pretty complicated process. I needed to do an image restore recently and discovered that the rescue disk I made with Paragon B&R did not "see" my external usb hard drive. I just removed the drive from the enclosure and installed it in the case. Sneaker-Net is still sometimes the best option (or least the easiest).

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You could make a WinPe2.1 or 3.0 disc.

I just made one using the free PM2010 and the Windows 7 32 bit installation media.

It only took about 10 mins.

Seems to work fine . Here is a screenie:

build-16-2010-02-05_052711 (Small).jpg

4. putapunk

putapunk Registered Member

Here's a post from a thread you started where I posted links to other boot disk options.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1617040&postcount=6

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That looks great. Kindly describe how you went about it.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Sure. This is my (c) copyright simple method.

1 Copy the boot.wim onto the HD.

(boot.wim is in the "sources" folder of the Vista/7 x86 install media)

a) If you have an isohandler, eg PowerISO/MagicISO , pick up the Vista/7 x86 .iso and extract (copy ) the boot.wim onto the HD.

OR:

b) If you don't have an isohandler, put the install dvd in the drive - rt click the dvd drive, select Copy, then Paste onto the HD. The entire contents of the dvd will copy. Move boot.wim out of the "sources" folder - onto the HD.

2.Extract the .wim:

Rename boot.wim to TEST.wim. Extract TEST.wim using eg Universal Extractor, or

7-Zip. You now have a folder called TEST. Look inside it - you may have a folder 1 and a folder 2. The folder containing setup.exe is the one you want. I have assumed you only have a folder 1 in the example below ( If you have a folder 2 and setup.exe is in there - use folder 2 instead )

3. Copy in the required files:

a) Copy the attached .cmd into the TEST\1\sources folder. ( Rename the attached to remove the .txt extension - as always, rt click the downloaded file , Properties>Unblock>Apply>OK )

View attachment go.cmd.txt

SOURCES-2010-02-07_224847.jpg

b) Copy the contents of the PM 2010 free you already have installed into TEST\1\sources folder.

PM10FILES-2010-02-07_225351.jpg

c) Copy these files from your C:\Windows\System32 into TEST\1\Windows\System32 folder.

DLL'S-2010-02-08_000941.jpg

SYSTEM32-2010-02-07_224937.jpg

4. Make a new boot.wim :

Put a copy of Imagex into your System32 folder ( e.g. C:\Windows\system32).

Open an elevated command and type:

imagex /boot /compress max /capture E:\TEST\1 E:\boot.wim "Paragon Winpe"

( Replace E above with the drive letter of the partition you extracted the TEST.wim to.).

5. Add the new boot.wim :

a) If you have an isohandler - pick up the original Vista/7 x86 .iso - rt click and Delete the original boot.wim.
    Click "Add files" - browse to the new boot.wim . Then click Save As - and select a name for the new.iso

OR:

b) If you don't have an isohandler, you copied all the Windows files to the HD in step 1 - just put the new boot.wim back in the sources folder there.

Then use the free vlite to make a new.iso.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Continued...

Boot the new dvd /flash.

When you get to the Install Now screen - press Shift+F10 together. A command window opens - type go, then press enter.

To exit, close PM2010, then close the Install Now window - confirm. That's it.

NOTES:

You can boot the new boot.wim directly from the HD to test it first , before making a new dvd/flash.

You can use the same method to add B&R 10 Free ( a couple of tiny extra steps needed ). I have used it to create and restore arc images - and individual files , using the Browse function.

If you already have a Paragon WinPE cd - you should be able to use the same method to add extra drivers permanently to Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository. You can also add extra functions and apps.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  8. twsiterice

twsiterice Registered Member

i've just purchased a license for DriveBackup 10 server...i need to setting up a recovery system in order to be sure that my whole windows system will be restored also in other different hardware...actually i've raid5 in Dell Perc4 Raid interface.
    So i need to follow this steps to be sure that my whole windows sytem be restorable also in other different hardware?
    thanks,
    Luca

9. Woofgeed

Woofgeed Registered Member

I just got Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 "Compact" for FREE recently, which is more than the FREE Version of this program, but not the PAID Suite version either. I decided to write an email to Support at Paragon and simply ask for the BartPE Plugin.

I got the response within a few days and they sent it to me in an email. Since I can't post the ZIP file here, you'll have to do the same if you want to get it.

I say this because even though I got a Free "Compact" version of this software, they still gave me the BartPE plugin files I needed to create the CD.

So anyone should be able to ask for it.

Hope this helps.

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can post the .zip by giving it a .txt extension first.

e.g.file.zip.txt

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Fire it up like this:

At the Install Now screen , press shift+F10. Type go , press enter

APB-BUILD-1-2010-02-07_024813.jpg

APB-BUILD-2-2010-02-07_025018 (Small).jpg

12. Sope

Sope Registered Member

Would you mind giving details of exactly what additions are needed to your instructions in order to adapt it for use with B&R 10 Free?

Great tutorial by the way, much appreciated! :)

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

To add BR10 as well as one of the PM 10's:

1. First add PM 10 to the files you extracted from the boot.wim with 7 zip as in previous post.

[If you are using the 7 x86 installation files - folder 2 in the extracted files is the correct one.

Update:
    When adding PM 10, you only needed to copy in prg.iso and qtp-mt334.dll, because win 7 already has msvcp60.dll and msvcrt.dll. ]

2. Start the BR 10 you already have installed and click Tools>Settings.

Untick Hot processing options.

SETTINGS-3-2010-02-27_164048 (Small).jpg

Set your preferred compression level ( I suggest Normal)

SETTINGS-1-2010-02-27_163906 (Small).jpg

Set the rest the way you want - I suggest skip o/s auxiliary files and archives , but don't exclude anything else ( it takes a long while to build the exclude list everytime in winpe).

SETTINGS-2-2010-02-27_163947 (Small).jpg

Then close BR 10.

3. Next, create a folder called BR in the "sources" folder of the files you extracted with 7 zip from the boot .wim.

4. Copy and paste these BR 10 files into the extracted files\sources\BR folder you just made. ( You don't need to copy the ISO ).

SETTINGS-FILES-2010-02-27_165812 (Small).jpg

5. To access both PM10 and BR10 easily, copy this .ini into the extracted files\sources\program folder. (That is the PM 10 program folder you copied in previously ). It will overwrite the explauncher.ini which is already there, and give you the extra menu options.

View attachment ExpLauncher.ini.txt

(remove the .txt extension so you have Explauncher.ini )

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  14. Sope

Sope Registered Member

@SIW2

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply.
    Those detailed extra instructions are really helpful and much appreciated.

Cheers :)

15. Sope

Sope Registered Member

One question...

I have Win7 64-bit OS installed along with the 64-bit versions of BR10 (PM10 not yet installed), so will I still be able to use the installed Paragon files I have with the 7 x86 installation files?

16. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, they are are 32 bit code programs - only the drivers you have installed on 7 x64 are 64 bit drivers.

Have a look in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" for the prg.iso and qtp-mt334.dll

As you will be booted into 7, you can try and see if this does the job for you:

http://cid-b0a22789320e3247.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/pe/7pecreator.7z

It should do everything in about 3 mins. You need to rt click and run as admin on the 7clickonme.cmd.

If you are not booted into 7 , you need to use this instead - takes a few mins longer, but it does the same job:

http://cid-b0a22789320e3247.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/pe/pecreator.7z

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  17. Sope

Sope Registered Member

Thanks very much for your efforts to help, but what exactly am I getting here if I run these?
    I'm guessing they are designed to build a Win7 PE from my installed OS files but what about Paragon BR10? I'm afraid these things often need spelling out to me o_O
    Sorry for being a bit slow :blink:

My actual goal is to get a working, user friendly rescue CD, that will enable me to recover either individual partitions, or the whole disk, from previously created images. I've tried both Macrium Reflect Free and Paragon BR10 but I'm unable to get either of their respective rescue CD's to work successfully with my system (I can only guess it's something to do with SATA drivers or maybe my MoBo?) I know Win7 has it's own Backup & Recovery feature but from what I've read, it's not ideal in this situation.

(Edit: OK, I've had a closer look at the 7z files and I'm guessing they are designed to collect and compile the appropriate files from the versions of PM10 and BR10 installed in a Win7 x64 environment. Not sure what stage in the process this will this get me to though? Prior to the stage of needing to use vlite maybe? Looks like there's a lot going on there, not least effort on your part!)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  18. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

If you are in windows 7 already - which you are, the 7pecreator will use the 7 x86 installation files (which you need to copy and paste from the dvd/iso onto your hardrive - and the Paragon apps. you already have installed.

It creates a bootable cd with the Paragon functions on it.

It works superbly on my machine, when booted into 7 x64.

You do need to get a copy of the 7 x86 dvd/iso. The 64 bit recovery environment is not much use for adding extra apps. to.

It works great when booted and used to work on a 64 bit o/s.

19. Sope

Sope Registered Member

Ahh I see, that's brill!

So should I copy both the 7pecreator files and the Win7 x86 DVD iso installation files to the root of C:\ or is any other partition or folder OK?

20. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can copy the windows files from the dvd onto any partition you like. Just put the 7 32 bit dvd in the drive - rt click it , select Copy, then paste onto any partition ( it takes a few mins as it needs to copy almost 2.5gb ).

You will have a folder called "GRMCPRFRER_EN_DVD".

Download 7pecreator - rt click it select Properties>Unblock>Apply>OK.

Then rt click and select extract.

It will be extracted into a folder called 7pecreator. Inside there is 7clickonme.cmd. Rt click that and select Run as Adminstrator.

It will ask you to browse the boot.wim .

Inside the GRMCPRFRER_EN_DVD are more folders. One of them is called "sources". boot wim is in there.

Then it will ask you to browse to the launcher.exe of your Paragon Pm product and do the necessary actions.

You can also add in BR 10 and Easeus Data Recovery Wizard ( if you have it - it's not a requirement).

Should only take 3-4mins to do the job.

Let me know how you get on. I have only tested it on my installations.

21. Sope

Sope Registered Member

SIW2,

That's great, I think I've got it now! It's late here so I'll leave it until tomorrow to give it a go, when I can concentrate on it properly.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll certainly let you know how I get on.

22. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Its getting late here too.

7pecreator is a 7zip file. You can use 7zip ( it's free) to extract it.

Download 7zip x64 msi from here

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

23. Sope

Sope Registered Member

Hi SIW2,

OK, I tried running 7pecreator and everything seemed to go according to plan until the final stage of trying to burn ParPe.iso to a CD. When I clicked the button to burn the image I received an error message saying [sic] "disc image file is invalid". I do have a folder named "PARFILES" created on the HD containing the following folders/files :-

boot
    efi
    sources
    autorun.ini
    bootmgr
    setup.exe

(total 205MB - I included PM10 and BR10)

Couldn't find any sign of ParPe.iso though?

24. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks for the update. It appears to have skipped making the iso stage.

Parfiles 205 mb total sounds right.

All you need to do is make a bootable iso image of them .

25. Sope

Sope Registered Member

SIW2,

I used ImgBurn to create a bootable iso image with the contents of the PARFILES folder (using a boot image extracted from the original Win7 x86 disc).

It successfully boots to the Win7 install screen (in Virtualbox) but here's what I get when I enter "go" in cmd
    boot1.JPG

After investigating further, I found nothing in the created PARFILES\sources folder other than boot.wim

I tried manually adding go.cmd along with all the relevant PM10 and BR10 files as you specify in your earlier posts, to the PARFILES folder. I then created another iso file as before but I still receive the exact same error message as in that screenshot.

7pecreator asked me to select the launcher.exe's of each Paragon app as expected but it doesn't seem to have included any Paragon files in it's output. Likewise, no evidence of go.cmd either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.