BartPE Plugin Paragon Backup & Recovery 10

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by TerryWood, Nov 9, 2009.

1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Where do I get a Bart PE plugin for Paragon Backup & Recovery 10?

I registered on the website and went to knowledge base/update but the Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 is not even mentioned.

Alternatively how do I create a Bart PE CD for BR10 from within the Recovery Media section of the software?

Thanks

Terry

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Everyone,

I was able to build the BartPE CD with Drive Backup 9, Hard Disk Manager 2009, Partition Manager 10, Drive Backup 10, and Backup & Recovery Free Edition with the following steps.

Go to
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/#download

Download and extract the folder to your C: drive.

Download the BartPE plugin:
    http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/US/DB/PSG_BartPE.zip

Extract the DB9x folder into your BartPE folder (C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin)

Open Paragon's Program Files folder, and copy everything into the DB9x\files folder

You should now have directories similar to these:

C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\DB9x\files\bluescrn
    C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\DB9x\files\iso
    C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\DB9x\files\NLS
    C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\DB9x\files\program
    .....etc

Delete the bootcd.iso file in the iso folder to save space as the file is not needed.

Open C:\Windows\System32\ and copy the following files to C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\DB9x\files\program\

qtp-mt334.dll, prgiso.dll and wnaspi32.dll (change your folder view options if you cannot see dll files)

----------------------------------------------
    Open db9x.inf with a notepad, and edit:

Name="Paragon Drive Backup 9.x"

to

Name="[name of your Paragon product]"

-----------------------------------------------
    Open DB9x_nu2menu.xml with notepad and edit:

Paragon Drive Backup 9.x
    to
    [name of your Paragon product]

----------------------------------------------

In addition, if you need to support RAID or controllers with the BartPE disk, put the XP/2003 drivers into the "Drivers" folder of BartPE directory.

Run pebuilder.exe, source path to your Windows XP/2003 CD, Create ISO image, and BUILD.

Once inside BartPE, go to GO > RUN > REGEDIT and delete MiniNT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MiniNT

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Hello,
    I have the plugin for Paragon 8.5 personal. Will that work for Paragon Backup & Recovery 10?

Thank You.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Thank You!

5. anuraag

anuraag Registered Member

can you tell how do I create a Bart PE CD for BR10 as i am new to bartpe

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

8. Paragon_Tommy

It will work with most Paragon software. Enjoy.

9. gls101

gls101 Registered Member

Would it be possible for you to provide a detailed description of the entries that require modification to make DB 10 compatible with BartPE?

I've followed the directions in the plug-in Zip file, including copying the DB10 Program files and the appropriate system32 files, and attempted to make changes to the db9x.INF and DB9x_nu2menu.XML files, thinking that's where the modifications would go. I've also searched these forums and the Paragon website, and haven't found anything that would help.

After burning the BartPE disk, the DB10 (Changed from DB9 by me) menu item was grayed out in BartPE.

I want to try BartPE because The recovery environment included with DB10 can't see my network, so even though I can make backups to the network, I have no method to do a recovery if (WHEN) necessary.

Gary

10. nzchris

nzchris Registered Member

I have edited the DB9 BartPE plugin so that it shows in the menu (using UBCD4Win) but the program doesn't launch. There are no error messages. I have had this before with BartPE plugins which are missing settings and/or registry entries. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

11. gls101

gls101 Registered Member

Thank you very much!!!

By following your directions, I was able to easily create a disk.

The only things I had to add were drivers specific to my NIC and hard drive controller.

When I tried to make the disk on my own, I completely messed up the directory structure. Your directions very clearly laid out the proper mapping, and it was immediately obvious where I went wrong.

I burned a disk, and it booted the first time, allowing me to access my network (which the ISO included with the product wouldn't do). Also, I was able to run DB 10 with no problem.

It did take me a few minutes to realize that BartPE labeled my local drive's hidden partition as C:, and the WIN7 partition as D: . I hope that won't cause a problem when I do a test restoration from the server to a spare drive.

Again, thanks for the speedy and helpful reply.

Gary

12. Paragon_Tommy

Do not forget to delete the MiniNT registry before using the program. What I did instead of manually using regedit was edit the program path to point to launcher.bat and create a launcher.bat with the following:

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MiniNT /f
    wait 1
    launcher.exe

13. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Could you give me a little help on the:

Open DB9x_nu2menu.xml with notepad and edit:

Paragon Drive Backup 9.x
    to
    [name of your Paragon product]

This what I have but I doubt it is correct:

<!-- Nu2Menu entry for [Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Free Edition] -->
    <NU2MENU>
    <MENU ID="Programs">
    <MITEM TYPE="ITEM"
    DISABLED="@Not(@FileExists(@GetProgramDrive()\Programs\DB9x\Program\launcher.exe))"
    CMD="RUN"
    FUNC="@GetProgramDrive()\Programs\DB9x\Program\launcher.exe">
    [Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Free Edition]
    </MITEM>

</MENU>
    </NU2MENU>

14. Paragon_Tommy

Sorry about the confusion, but you don't need the brackets.

-----------------------------

<!-- Nu2Menu entry for [Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Free Edition] -->
    <NU2MENU>
    <MENU ID="Programs">
    <MITEM TYPE="ITEM"
    DISABLED="@Not(@FileExists(@GetProgramDrive()\Programs\DB9x\Program\launcher.exe))"
    CMD="RUN"
    FUNC="@GetProgramDrive()\Programs\DB9x\Program\launcher.exe">
    Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Free Edition
    </MITEM>

</MENU>
    </NU2MENU>
    Edit/Delete Message

15. chinook9

Great! Thank you for the seriously prompt response. Thanks again.

16. Paragon_Tommy

Reminder that when you're inside the BartPE environment, you have to first delete the miniNT registry key, otherwise the program will not launch. What I've done before was create a batch file and made that a second plugin. The bat file will have something like this:

If you get clever, you can point the first plugin to run the bat file first, and in the bat file, include a command to delete the registry, and then run launcher.exe

-------------------
    wait 1
    launcher
    ------------------

17. chinook9

Thank you for the reminder. I will not try the "clever" approach. I will wait until i'm in Bart'sPE. I will also try it in UBCD4Win which seems to be the latest generation.

Thanks again!

18. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Thank you for this idea.
    Now it is possible to create an easy vistape plugin with makescript. :D

I made a bat like this in the main directory:
    ----------------------------------
    @echo off

start program\launcher.exe
    GOTO _end

:_end
    endlocal
    --------------------------------------
    and pointed makescript to that bat. It made the script in no time.

Paragon_Tommy are those registry values in the bartpe inf really necessary? The program seems to work fine even without them.

Panagiotis

19. Paragon_Tommy

I know it was a problem with Drive Backup 9 and required that registry to be deleted prior to running. I haven't tested to see if it works with BR10 or DB10, but I will take your word for it :D

20. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I meant that if I use the reg keys
    ----
    [SetupReg.Addreg]
    0x0,"ControlSet001\Control\Nls\Language"
    0x1,"ControlSet001\Control
    ............etc.
    0x1,"ControlSet001\Control\Nls\Locale\Alternate Sorts","00030404",""
    --------
    included in the plugin I have to delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MiniNT /f

But if I delete them from the dx9.inf the program seems to work like a true portable application. and I do not have to delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MiniNT /f
    afterwards.

Panagiotis

21. gls101

gls101 Registered Member

Well, I did a network recovery last night of my Lenovo Z61m with Windows 7, using the BartPE recovery disk I made, with decidedly mixed results.

I hadn't gotten around to automating the removal of the register entry, so I manually removed it before starting Paragon Backup & Recovery 10.

The backup on the network (also made with DB10), was of the entire disk, and it contained two partitions - a hidden system partition, and the C: partition. I also had a differential backup. The initial backup data was about 25 gigs, on a 320 gig drive, and the diff backup was also about the same size. I didn't have another 320 gig drive, so I restored to a spare 120 gig drive, which I reformatted before starting.

I initially had some difficulty figuring out how to do the restore, as I didn't have access to the help system, because it's either not on the recovery disk, or it's web based. I don't know which.

What seemed to work for me was to initially restore the entire disk, which created and populated the system partition, and created the C: partition but did not populate it.

I then restored the C partition data, then restored the Diff backup. I have no idea if this was the right way to do it or not.

After the restoration, which in total took something better than 8 hours, the laptop booted with an error that a DLL for the Leveno Power Manager application was missing. The machine rebooted very slowly, and continues to reboot like an XP machine that's been in use for 2 or 3 years - it takes forever to boot, and applications are slow to load. (By the way, the original Windows 7 installation boots very quickly, and programs load fast. It's only been in use for a couple of weeks. After reinstalling the original hard drive, boot and program run time are normal - it's just slow on the recovered copy.)

I couldn't uninstall the Leveno Power Manager application with the missing DLL- I had to reinstall on top of what was left of it. That took care of the error message, but the machine is still extremely slow to boot.

What could have caused the two problems? Needless to say, loss of data during system recovery is not something I'm pleased with, because if I truly needed to use this recovery I'd always be wondering what else is broken or missing.

The slow booting and loading of programs also greatly concerns me, because I suspect it's indicative of some kind of serious hidden problem.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Gary

22. Paragon_Tommy

Perhaps the system is still populating the pagefile which does take some time and a few reboots. I would leave the computer on for a few hours, restart a couple of times and notice if your speed is back to normal.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  23. valnar

valnar Registered Member

24. Paragon_Tommy

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  25. valnar

valnar Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.