BartPE Boot disk created on OEM Win XP Home?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DCM, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I have been trying unsuccessfully for two days to create a BartPE Boot disk on OEM Win XP Home. I have created many of these on my old computer that had the "upgrade" version of XP Home and had no problems.

Now, each time I try to create an updated boot disk, a "warning" message appears at the top saying that it may not be successful when built on Windows XP OEM.

The boot disks go through the creation process OK and will boot but none of the many program that should be on the disk will show on the screen. Most are the default programs that come with BartPE and I know that they should appear and run.

Now, all that will come up are Wordpad, Calculator and one other program that is of little value when a boot disk is needed.

I still have several two to three year old BartPE boot disks and they will run on this machine with no problems.

I had no idea that the OEM XP would be crippled in some way or I would have bought the regular upgrade version. I still have my old regular version from a machine that I scrapped but I doubt that Microsoft would allow it to run on a completely different computer.

Has anyone else had a bad experience creating boot disks with the OEM Win XP program?

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Funny you should bring this up. Today someone at work gave me a Dell laptop to fix that was having explorer.exe crashes when the desktop came up (in both normal and safe mode). I was going to attempt a repair reinstall but the laptop didn't have a CD/DVD drive, instead a floppy drive was in the bay. The person did not know where the DVD drive was (didn't really know what I was talking about from his expression). My SysAdmin told me to order an external USB DVD drive from NewEgg and I could use it to do a repair install on the laptop when it arrives tomorrow.

Later I got the idea about putting a Dell OEM XP Pro on a USB stick and using it to repair the laptop. I found instructions on how to accomplish it but like yourself I saw a warning in BartPE about using OEM disks. Of course it did not work, it didn't copy 3/4 of the files needed. I gave up on it and will wait for tomorrow.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have made many bart discs by slipstreaming service packs into oem sources. Then I used RyanVM's update packs to get it current. This is what I would then use as the source for the bart cd.

I did get the oem warning, but ignore it and is ok.

If that helps.

Sul.

4. DCM

DCM Registered Member

Maybe there is some hope. I just cannot understand how the BartPE disk will boot but not show any of the programs that come with the program. I added more but most of those will also run on Boot disks created on my old computer.

I am not going to give up yet.

I don't know what RyansVM packs are but am going to do a google search and try it out because I want to create a boot disk for DriveImage XML 2.0. My disks for Version 1.21 work find and it is such a good program, I would like to use the latest version.

Sure would hate to have to buy a regular update to XP at this late date just to create a boot disk. Everything else runs fine on this OEM version. I did not even notice that it was an OEM until after the warning kept coming up while creating the BartPE boot disks.

Thanks

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have an OEM version of Home that came with a cheap computer, sp1. For a long time I have been making cd's with sp2 & ryanvm's packs integrated, so I have not tried bart any other way.

Typically for a bart cd, you would just slipstream sp2 and then integrate ryanvm's packs, and call it good.

However, if you are going to the effort of using rynamvm's update packs, you may as well also look at the add-on packs. They have made many of your favorite freeware applications that are integrated into your windows install. This way you install with many of your handy utilities ready to go. This I have not tried with a bart cd, only with a standard xp install cd/dvd.

I have taken this to the end of incorporating a bartpe option on my xp install dvd. Not as hard as one would think.

Sul.

6. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I have been using the WinXP install disk sometimes and a copy of it that I copied to my hard drive. The thought just occurred to me that it may not contain SP2 or SP3. I will have to find out and if not, I have a CD that I made a long time ago with at least SP2 on it.

Thanks

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Dude, just make a directory like for example c:\xphome, then copy the entire contents of the cd to that directory. Next download xpsp2. It is compressed, so uncompress it using winzip or winrar or 7zip etc. Extract it to maybe like c:\xpsp2 or something.

Next in either command prompt or the run box you will type (assuming your folder structure is the same) c:\xpsp2\update -s:c:\xphome

Now, xpsp2 will be 'slipstreamed' into the files in c:\xphome. When it is finished, you can burn it to a bootable cd/dvd, or use it in bartpe cd. Either way, you don't need to find your copy of xpsp2 cd, you can make your own.

Sul.

8. DCM

DCM Registered Member

Thanks for all the help.

I reinstalled the BartPE program on the C: drive and deleted my installation on the F: drive. Then, copied all the XP files again throught SP2 and now it appears to be working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.