Bart PE question with TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aoz, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoz

aoz Registered Member

to all,
    I was able to make a BART PE !! (to me, I'm ecstatic !)
    I just did the plain Bart PE, and it was done from my I386 file on the disk; I do not have an actual XP disk.

I am going to get the TI Bart PE plugin, but one question to you bart PE users so far;
    when I created the Bart PE, it gave me a warning that "beware if using OEM files...", but I got no other errors.

If I'm not installing Windows XP, but just running something like TI, or DDS, should I be OK to run the TI or DDS program, even though I built it using my licensed machine which just has the OEM files on it?

I appreciate your assistance and feedback

Nick

2. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

See if you can boot from the disk, load TI, and see your backups.
    If you can, you should be OK.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I got the same message, Nick -- while making one on my Dell laptop. The Bart PE CD I made with both ATI and Image for Windows on it worked fine insofar as imaging. I haven't yet gone through the rigors of testing restore functionality but will probably get around to it soon. Anyways, it would surprise me if I hit any further bumps.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I think it's a licence issue.

It seems that you can legally create the BartPE CD from a boxed version of Windows, but not from an OEM version. Hence the warning.

5. aoz

aoz Registered Member

I don't think that it is a licensing issue per se, because you legally are able to use microsoft on that machine, and there are ways to enter your microsoft-sticker-code into one of the I386 files to show the exact licenswe number.

BUT, for the OEM version, the company who made the machine may apparently not have included all of the files that exist on the actual purchased XP retail version, and this I think poses a problem if you go to actually install Windows XP to a system.

Again, I'm not totally sure, but my main goal is to sort of ensure or be comfortable in knowing that I can use such a disk, created from my machine, to reliably run the TI and DDS software, on that machine.

Any feedback apreciated
    thanks
    Nick

6. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I use an oem version without problem

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

OEM versions have diff license issues, e.g., not transfereable to another machine. Doens't mean it can't be done, jsut that it's not allowed under the license between MS and the OEM.

8. crofttk

I'm using my Bart PE CD on the same machine it was made from also but, licensing issues aside for the moment, I got the impression (I guess really I just assumed) that the warning about OEM in the PE build dialog had more to do with PE builder being designed to assemble the CD based on a generic (boxed) Windows install CD and there was no guarantee that the builder would pick up everything as required or intended by the OEM in their customized version of Windows install CD.

bVolk, by saying "it seems", are you saying you have specific information to that effect or is this an impression in the same manner I had a different impression ?

9. Nontechguy

Nontechguy Registered Member

Thats probably true but what happen when you try to get updates from microsoft update site ? It will probably not pass and get the fail screen , True or not true ?

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

No, it's just my impression.

Perhaps I got it from the wording "You may have trouble using an OEM version" (or something like that).
    Didn't sound like a technical issue to me.

11. crofttk

OK, well all I know is it seems to work OK and I'm using it on the same machine, not even a virtual machine -- now THAT I think is where licensing issues can arise even on the same machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.