Barclays has plans to let customers use Facebook for banking

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Rasheed187, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. guest

guest Guest

Checking a bank account with Facebook... :confused:
    If someone has access to my FB-account he can also access my bank account? That's not good.

3. guest

guest Guest

Stupidest idea ever...

4. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

+1

I hope Apple is watching this since Apple does financing new computers with deferred financing promotions through this Bank.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

My bank already has a partial connection with FB, I can send limited amounts via FB. It is a great idea, since everyone uses FB anyway.
    People are always afraid of new ideas, but I bet most of us could not imagine now, not paying via card online, because of some prejudice.

6. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

No, I'm afraid of Facebook. :eek: Not a member of Facebook and NEVER will be a member. If any of my financial accounts link to Facebook, I will immediately cancel my account that is linked and they will have lost me as a customer.

7. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

No they don't - because I don't. Using FB for banking is asking for trouble.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Everyone else does, except a few exceptions, which are not even worth mentioning. ;)

I also use FB to login to eshops, it is very convenient, no need to create a profile or to remember passwords.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have never used Facebook and I hope my bank never does.

10. Rasheed187

If you care about privacy it is. It's clearly a trick from FB to get even more personal info. Does FB really need to know that you're broke or filthy rich? :D

In Holland the big banks have now introduced a system named iDIN, it will allow you to login to sites like web-shops and even government services, so you basically only have to use one username and password combined with 2FA. They have already said these services will not be able to check your bank account.

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes they need. How would they know what to offer you in their ads :)

12. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

<Echo ON!>

I have never used Facebook and I hope my bank never does

13. Rasheed187

I know what you mean, but to me this goes too far, enough is enough.

14. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

The question is: does a user appreciate the privacy risks? When a company establishes a relationship with another company... especially when both companies interact with consumers and/or are involved in direct marketing... it can result in the sharing of information about their customers. Some of which may be detectable by the consumer if they observe the communications that happen while they interact with the systems of the companies. Some of which may not be detectable by the consumer, or even become obvious after reading privacy policies.

I suspect 85% or more of the people I know have a FB account. However, almost all of those I've talked to assert they are careful about how they configure and use it. They claim they want to limit the information that is available to FB and limit the information that FB will make available to others. If that describes someone here, I think it would be wise for them to try to avoid doing business with companies that partner with FB, avoid using FB login elsewhere, take steps to prevent FB tracking from working at other sites, etc.

15. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Not worth mentioning eh? Well I'm another who stays FAR away from silly facebook.
    :thumb:

16. Rasheed187

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't do Facebook and I won't give others access to my bank account. It's just not going to happen.

18. Carver

Carver Registered Member

NO..No..No That is a very bad Idea. My bank started saying "You can reach us on facebook and twiter" They have even sent me emails saying the same thing, I just delete them right away. Privacy and Social media don't mix like oil and water and gasoline.

19. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

With our Facebook banking solution, you can transform your bank into an incredible pal that enables easy transactions between friends and have them promoting your bank for you when they use it. :argh::argh::argh:

Well, why not also add investment transactions, mortgages and loans, deposit and payroll services, lines of credit etc., etc.

Fancy Bear will want to be your friend. :rolleyes:

20. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Well, I've already been informed by Amber Rudd, the UK Home Secretary that I'm not a real person because I care about encryption; now I'm not a person because I don't use FB.....

21. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I do Facebook, however, I will never do banking or any sort of monetary transaction via Facebook.

22. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Ha Ha I think that is the most stupid idea, that I have ever heard of, in my life

but as they say, 'Birds of a feather,flock together'

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  23. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

That thought is becoming way too common is the problem. The outrageously stupid is becoming way-of-life, leading people to throw up their hands and give up as the majority of people seem to swallow it wholesale. I keep on thinking - will they never learn? And the answer is, no, not when convenience and profit is concerned, and it's someone else's risk.

24. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

No, Facebook is not used by everybody.

You are basically suggesting that everybody not trusting Facebook 100% is not doing that because of argument, but based on prejudice. Do you understand that can insult someone?

25. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Wrong! Bad idea. I am not prejudice, just smart.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.