Banner cookies

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Checkout, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Maybe I'm being a little naive, but something happened last night which was quite unexpected.  I'd just logged out of Hotmail, and naturally, I was directed to the local MSN website.  Running across the top of the page was a banner ad for some wretched marketing company in the UK - and, bless my soul, the damned advert tried to set a cookie for that site!  I had expected MSN to try and set one, but not some &*&&^%$ third party I never ever visited and never will!  (Except to find out who the scumfilth were, of course.)

Sooner or later, some lowlife is going to offer this "marketing service" to profilers - ie, "Hey, everybody, pay me some money and I'll drop a whole bundle of third-party cookies on any unsuspecting user who runs across my banner ad".  Blimey, it's like saturation bombing!

I'm surprised MSN allows this kind of practice on their websites.

No...no, I guess I'm not surprised at all....

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

beats netscrap who have pop up advertising on their index page.

3. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Is Netscrap anything like the free versionof Poopera?   :cool:

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I'm guessing that either MSN doesn't know about this practice, or they have changed their advertising policy.

If I remember correctly, there was some press release about MSN banner ads, and your privacy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.