Bandwidth meter for router?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fontaine, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

In light of the Comcast being overt about their monthly limits, I've been experimenting for a few weeks with meters that log my bandwidth.
    I like Net Meter but it falls short of what I need:
    1) monitor all bandwidth on network. So i guess this would have to mean at the router?
    2) when I stream movies or other files with a laptop on my network from my main pc, it logs it as bandwidth even though it's internal..this skews my bandwidth tracking as using more than I have.

Any suggestions on how to fix the above and accurately monitor bandwidth usage on a network with multiple computers?

2. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

I'll be honest. I have replaced my router with Smoothwall. Its a small Linux distro that runs on a PC. That, plus two NICs produces a wonderful little gateway machine. It tracks all my bandwith on both a per period (month, week, day, hour) basis and an instantanious basis. (Exactly what am I doing this moment.) It keeps current and past months records at a glance and I'm sure I could write a script, or modify it (as it is open source, and Linux) to provide more or different detail.

Also, the stats are "As a whole" and per inside interface (IP) so you can track back if you have a significant usage, you can trace to which system.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am using Netmeter and just put it on each computer. Easy to get the total. In one instance my thinkpad, I am only interested in monitoring my broadband wireless use, so I don't have netmeter start on boot and just turn it on, when I go online with the broadband.

Pete

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Attached Files:

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Could you post a link to a source you trust to download NetMeter from, please?

6. Arup

Arup Guest

7. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Thanks all for the replies.
    I have a few solutions that I'm going to try that work at the router level that monitors bandwidth from all computers on the network. I'll post back with some results.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

If your other PCs are not directly connected to your PC and are accesing the router via a switch, you will have to individually install the monitoring utility and then add up the use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.