Ballmer: Linux is MS's main competitor and not Apple.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

That article is over a year and a half old.
    A lot has changed since then Apple has continued to grow, Linux Desktop has not really gone anywhere, but Android has taken a huge chunk of the mobile market, MS share status have been downgraded buy to neutral by Goldman in the past week.

Skip forward to this week, Microsoft are behind in the Mobile, Tablet and Cloud markets. Windows 7 has bee a successs but still dogged by many corperations holding onto XP.

Heres some Balmer qoutes from:
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/10/05/steve_ballmer_lse_cloud_computing/

Despite all this negative publicity and faillings over the past year MS is still doing well selling its core products MS Office, various server based software like Sharepoint and SQL Server and probably and share holders are still making plenty of money.

Cheers, Nick

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

5. linuxforall

Linux destkop is growing slowly and steadily, its not sold with OEM hardware, its free and there is no incentive for anyone to sell it, its up to the user to adapt it and with all the FUD against Linux, it takes time.

6. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Some PC manufacturers offer it with their hardware (in place of a Windows OS). Dell, ASUS, etc, and it's pre-installed on a lot of netbooks.
    I don't know about FUD, if anything it's the opposite that's being spread IMO.

Until GNU/Linux offers at least one distro that just plain works out of the box and they eliminate a lot of the need to use the CLI, Microsoft has nothing to worry about.

7. katio

katio Guest

Got any sources for that? With the statistics I know Linux is a more like a rounding error which makes outlining a trend impossible. (Not disputing, just curious;-))

Agreed, there's a lot less FUD than advocacy.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Here's someone's experience with Dell (UK):
    http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Why-is-Dell-UK-making-it-so-difficult-1095568.html

I absolutely agree that GNU/Linux on the "average" home PC is still a far cry unless there's an expert in the family.

9. linuxforall

Nothing works out of the box, Windows doesn't, Mac does but then they make sure its their hardware, having said that, Ubuntu works in 95% of the cases, the 5% is an easy fix with Google.

FUD like Linux is difficult, its CLI is quite common today as it was before, nothing has changed.

10. linuxforall

In my neighborhood, its the 70 and 80 year old who use Linux, specifically MINT and Ubuntu, they don't have any expert at home, most are alone, my 86 year old aunt uses it, she is alone, this is another misinformation, yes Linux is different to install, does that mean its difficult, far from it. It installs way faster than Windows, no drivers have to be searched for, it comes loaded with all the essential stuff most need like office, email etc. Even decent photo management is there, whats not there, its available at a click of mouse from a list of 10000. All free and best of all for helpless senior citizens, they are not at mercy of the local software guy when virus wipes their system out or their system crashes. Linux not only installs fast, it boots in a jiff and shuts down equally fast and best of ALL, all updates including necessary programs are auto updated.

11. linuxforall

There is FUD from anti linux crowd as usual, advocacy from pro linux crowd except there is no incentive apart from satisfaction.

http://www.trovapalermo.com/index.php/2010/08/linux-desktop-market-share-is-up-as-much-as-61-per/

Again, since OEM sales being almost non existent, it would be hard to assess total Linux deployment but trends speak for itself.

12. ALookingInView

Windows 7 works out of the box (on practically all hardware) and I beg to differ about the "no drivers have to be searched for" thing. Video card drivers, etc, basic codecs, blah.

No incentive? Ever heard of "preaching Linux"?

13. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Adobe shares soar on rumor of Microsoft bid

14. katio

katio Guest

Their source is w3counter
    Only problem with that, we are down to 1.45%, in less than two months...
    But they admit:
    W3Counter uses browser user agents and some random 40,610 websites. Not too accurate for the percentages we are dealing with.

Anyway considering how small one or two percent might seem, Linux still got more than iOS devices, and the latter are ubiquitous :D

15. linuxforall

No it doesn't, thats sheer nonsense period,but Ubuntu and its derivatives do work 95% of the times.. Best of all the drivers are auto updated in Linux, in Windows they have to be downloaded and installed.

Preaching Linux doesn't get you cash, OTOH fanboying Windows does ;)

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

95% of the time, 95% of the statistics are made up on the spot with a 5% confidence interval.

:rolleyes:

Untitled.png

Really? I sure could use a bit of that. Where do I sign up?

17. linuxforall

Same goes for Windows stats which are more of a lie than reality.

as for Windows drivers, thats not the latest, its from MS's repo and it still don't parallel Linux or Ubuntu's system even closely.

I thought you are already a part of that program, your basic sustenance.:D Your very reason for existence.

18. linuxforall

Talking about stats and lies.....here is from the horse's mouth itself.....

"Ninety-five percent of the world's computers run Windows," Ballmer proudly told an audience of students at Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology on Monday. "They don't run Mac, they don't run Linux."

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/linuxline/207196/why_windows_is_bad_for_business.html

By world computers he means non business and servers but does he mention that, noooooooo..........he puts a general WORLD and MS.

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

According to your so-called logic, the Linux fanboys don't even get cash for lying. Guess people like you lie and twist the truth just because you can, no reason needed.

More of your trademark nonsense. So Linux pulls the latest driver updates directly from ATI, Nvidia, Broadcom, etc instead of from third-party repos as well? Not to mention there's a lot of things Linux can't "pull". Proprietary drivers, for instance.

Well, I'm asking because I don't know. You seem to be an expert on it, so I'm sure many of us would appreciate it a lot if you could tell us where to find this program and how to sign up.

No surprise that you can't, of course. It was also more or less a given how fast the Linux fanboys go from accusing the "anti-Linux crowd" of FUD, to going to spewing grand FUD themselves.

20. linuxforall

My my, two words Linux and Opera seem to bring out trolls in full armor here.

Proprietary drivers in Linuxo_O Have you heard about Hardware driver applet? And you claim to be a Ubuntu user, guess not, or being selectively blind, whatever, all you do is spread FUD, this is a prime example of M$ troll fanboy spreading lies, plain and simple. Add a PPA and you get latest greatest from ATI, Intel or NVIDIA, now let me see,where is the PPA for Windows 7, up at Ballmer's cabinet I am sure.

Have you seen my signature, I am a rank amateur ;) In your case, your payroll for your noodles come from Ballmer's spare change in his pockets.

So now you confess of being Anti Linux :D the Cat is finally outta the bag, so why are you here in the Linux thread in first place may I ask, I know your primary passion is to spread the fine art of Troll tech, I have to admit, you are the veritable master of that, no one can come close to that.

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I must say I definitely agree. Worst part is that the trolls frankly admit that they do it even though there's no cash in store for them, they do it just because.

The only lie being perpetrated here is your blatant dishonesty that Windows does not update drivers automatically. Of course now that it has been pointed out you lack the common decency to admit it, choosing instead of heap on more nonsense like the troll you are. I never said "Ubuntu", I said "Linux" and there are plenty of distros that hold a purist view when it comes to including proprietary software by default, in some distros you even need to compile and upgrade the kernel and/or dependencies first before you're allowed to install some driver software. Windows Updates follow latest updates fairly closely, to a much higher degree than stepped-upgrade distros who generally only allow for security upgrades, and if you absolutely need automatic updates for latest versions there are third-party software that will keep track for you.

I'm afraid you're only exposing yourself for what you are. Ad hominem attacks are your tool of choice, as usual, because that's the best you can do. In this case I'm afraid you've really lost your marbles completely by suggesting that I know Ballmer personally, much less him giving me cash in person.

So let me ask again: can you tell us where do we find this program that pays cash so I can go and sign up, or were you just trolling and spreading lies and FUD as usual?

Logic isn't your strong suit, as usual. I was merely pointing out the obvious hypocrisy in which the Linux fanboys accuse the "anti-Linux crowd" (whoever that may be) of FUD, and in the same breath launch pure FUD themselves. Being able to spot blatant logical fallacies is a sign of a rational mind, not a confession of being "anti-Linux", no matter how hard you keep up with the ad hominem attacks.

22. ALookingInView

Fanboying Windows?
    Please have a look at every last one of my 200+ posts and point out a single one where I'm "fanboying Windows".
    I've also dual-booted with a popular flavor of GNU/Linux for a while on two separate occasions and I'm typing this from my iMac.

I realize "the best defense is a good offense", but this is ridiculous.
    I would advise someone with a username such as yours to think twice before dropping fanboy bombs on others though.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  23. linuxforall

Your point of whole post is to deny and put down Windows, the only reason you have to mention that you dual boot is quite predictable really, this somehow makes you feel to be a legitimate source for commenting on Linux and highlighting your favorite OS here that is Windows, plain and simple. As for my username, thats perfect for this thread, after all its UNIX section. What was the OP about really, its about Windows boss Ballmer saying that Linux is a bigger threat to Windows than Apple, care to scrutinize that? Of course not, he meant in a broader sense and take a look around you, apart from Desktop Linux, in server and super comp world, Linux is it, there is no Windows there and whatever little share they had is dwindling steadily, take London Stock Exchange as one prime example, there are many more.

24. linuxforall

You are the very definition of the word Troll Supreme and now a declared anti linux man as well, so nothing more to it really.

Windows doesn't auto update driver, its not a lie, its a fact, all you do is twist it in your favor to make it look so, plain and simple. Now you go on defensive when you said Linux doesn't but Ubuntu does, what is Ubuntu really classified as pray tell me? Last time I checked, it was part of the Linux family or are you now making it a part of Windows family.

Don't even mention words like logic and rationale, because to you, its in same breath as a typical evangelist, to you logic and fallacy only fall in the limited realm of your belief system and nothing more, nothing less, OTOH, you will never hesitate to spread FUD and nonsense regarding anything thats not in your hallowed halls, the fact few posts above you mention that Linux doesn't do proprietary speaks for itself, of course now you are self declared anti linux man. As for Ballmer paying you, guess it has to be since you acutally surpass the M$ evangelist in terms of your vitriolic against Linux every single change you get, been like that from day one with your silly asinine posts and rants criticizing the security model of Linux or questioning Ubuntu's upgrade policies. You are a fake and a rank flake and that is apparent in every single post of yours. Nothing more.

Let me ask you, you in your typical M$ brainwash fanboy manner assume that Linux users are mad to use it, also to you, Linux should be a M$ clone, full of security holes, weak system, ancient file system and of course, monoculture where one distro should be the rule of the day, c'mon confess it, you are busy trying make everything else clones in your sick perverted manner.

So we use LINUX because we like to spread FUD against Windows, now where have I heard that before. Take a look around you, MS attacks Linux every chance you get, why even bother when Linux has been relegated to so called realm of the geeks and losers, it isn't a legit threat anywhere. MS spends billions to launch anti Linux campaigns, recently they opened up stall right opposite to the FOSS meet in JAPAN, guess some of the spare change is coming your way definitely.:D No FUD and lie there, the only reason you are asking me about signing up for MS is because you are already a part of it, don't deny it, your facade is up.

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Linux is nice and all, but it is not Windows. Good or bad? Depends who you are and how much you want to "re-learn".

The single largest problem with Linux, IMHO, is that there are too many Windows users who are advanced enough to help thier family/friends/clients that feel Linux is still to "geek". I am a geek, a big one. I freely admit that Linux is, to me, going to represent an significant amount of time investment to be as proficient as I already am on the M$ platform. That is neither a good or bad thing. I cannot personally "just use it". I have to know how to do everything in it that I already do in Windows, or why switch. And frankly, the learning curve is pretty steep.

No doubt many have invested the time and reaped the rewards. But I think a great many more wish they could (like myself) but cannot justify the investment. And when I don't know it well enough to seriously understand it, no one I know is going to either, because they depend on me to help them.

I think people just getting into computers or people who don't know much would be more apt to adopt fully to Linux. Perhaps it is the "old birds" who just don't want to "re-learn" it all again that keep M$ at such a high 95% saturation level ;)

No matter how you look at it, at some point you come to the realization that all the operating systems perform well enough. Some have different pros and cons than others of course. I made peace with M$ some years ago now. I accept that there will be bugs. I accept that I have to pay more than I think it is worth for software that should not have so many bugs. And I enjoy using an OS that for the most part just works. And I really really enjoy knowing enough about the software to do what I want with it. That is why I haven't jumped ship to Linux. Go back to being a noob? Not me, not right now anyway. Maybe when my kids are out of the house and I have more "play time".

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.