Baidu Antivirus 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Feb 27, 2013.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

Re: Baidu Antivirus 2013 (Beta)

Why on Baidu Antivirus 2013 (Beta) thread and not in Baidu PC Faster beta
    =
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2196203&postcount=42

---------------
    Baidu PC Faster Version: 3.0.0.4 Beta Size: 30.70 MB
    Baidu Antivirus 2013 (Beta) Version: 3.0.1.22221 Beta
    are the same software?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

yes I am using the new baidu pc faster since yesterday and the only if it can be called issue with it is hat now every time I open my chrome browser it give a recycler C:\ error and I have to click it to go away by empty the recycler? Other then that it is good. Also the cloud security uses all engines incl. avira and is n on demand scan. I used it yesterday I it took almost an hour for a full scan.

3. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Also as a feedback I have posted all the issues with baidu that I have and I hope they will fix them.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Looks an interesting product and the company profile on their website is very informative.I dont see any viable reason why people should not try this antivirus.
    I hope all works out for them.:thumb:

6. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I like this program alot, I have it running but im about to uninstall it because it needs ALOT of work. First, it doesnt detect Eicar test file. Second I tested it against the spycar test file and this is will sometimes detect, sometimes it wont. But even when it does detect it and I choose to delete it, the file is still in my downloads folder and can still be run (I tested it) this is a big no-no. But if they get these issues hamered out, along with the HIPS it has this has the potential to become my #1 solution.:thumb:

7. Antimalware18

Oh, it has a ways to come. Just did a quick scan and it detected every one of my wifes games as trojans. All of which are false positives. I'd hate to do a full scan :eek:

EDIT* when testing the spycar file again, Baidu is detecting the .Tmp file but not the acctual file:thumbd:

8. Antimalware18

Did I kill the discussion on this product? :D

9. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

It doesn't seem to detect anything but FP's :(

10. Antimalware18

That's a understatement, and it makes me sad honestly. This product could be soo good in the "class" its in if they could fix these issues I'm reading about and experienced the hour I had it installed. At this point it doesn't even feel like a beta. Hell, I wouldn't even really call it a alpha I would call it a "Developer pre-alpha" and I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing it. I want to see it do extremely well.

11. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Setting the Baidu engine protection settings to "Low" drastically reduces the amount of FPs. The Avira engine should more than make up for the lower settings.

EDIT: That being said, it still seems to block access to the files even when the engine setting is set to Low. Buggy indeed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

No problem here, being running it for 1 week now and only ever got 1 FP which was added to the exclusion list, so no worries.
    I see the Avira component was updated 3 times yesterday.

Win 7 64 bit.

13. Antimalware18

what about the issue I said where the AV was only detecting the .Tmp files instead of the .exe? that is a HUGE security hole and I wouldnt even consider touching this again until that specific issue was fixed.

14. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

It detected both eicar and spycar on my PC and removed them effortlessly.
    I tried to run eicar 4 times by executing the MS-DOS and by writing the code to a text file and also by on demand scanning - it detected and removed it every time.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  15. Antimalware18

Then theres some inconsistencies across systems/installations/setups. Which there usually is because of program incompatabilities ect. But on my system at the time Baidu was the only app. installed. Because of this I note it down to the acctual product since there was no problem during installation which to me means a broken product. Pardon me if my logic is flawed :cool:

16. guest

guest Guest

Hopefully this can work out to be a replacement for WRSA
    after they introduced other components to their "AV only"

been looking for a replacement for a while now

this one has so far had several FP's which were easily put
    into the ignore list, hope it gets better with time

Will keep running it for a while to see how it goes

One thing I like about it "even thou WRSA was light on resources"
    it was quite bloated in options that most users would never need

This one seems to be streamlined and cloud based which makes it
    a perfect AV for most users:thumb:

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

After having some time to use the new version of PC Faster, which includes a "Cloud Security" tab, it would seem that this is just an on demand scan, and for on access protection you need Baidu Antivirus or PC Faster + Antivirus.

18. Gorilla P

Gorilla P Registered Member

Yeah, anyone giving reviews on this, please make sure that you in-fact downloaded the Baidu Antivirus and not Baidu PC Faster (I have seen others get these confused) . I downloaded the AntiVirus and it loooked to be decent. I made sure the Avira engine was enabled.

I did however download the eicar test file in multiple formats and it did nothing. When I right-clicked and did a manual scan, it detected it as a virus, but it did NOTHING on its own. I was even able to open/run the files.

When I downloaded the ZIP format... it detected the virus, woohoo! Except not really...it detected my file compression/decompression utility (peazip) as the virus and removed it!

On another note, I have seen speculation that this was using Kaspersky definitions. This is good news for other using the product, but may propose a moral issue if it is not licensed. Examples below...

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-New-free-antivirus-in-town-Baidu-Antivirus?page=5

http://www.kingsoftsecurity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1647

Final Verdict - You are the weakest link...goodbye!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  19. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

No such thing as a "moral issue." If it uses Kaspersky signatures, licensed or not, that's good for the users.

20. The Red Moon

If the kaspersky signatures are not licensed then of course there is a "moral" issue or are kaspersky giving away their sigs for free..?:cautious:

21. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Why would I care about Kaspersky's financial matters? As long as I'm getting their signatures for free, I'm content.

22. The Red Moon

You should question how the signatures were aqcuired and whether they are licensed or not.
    Anyway maybe they simply have not publicly announced the fact and it has not been proven they are using kaspersky signatures,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  23. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

The 3rd party signature use, of course, has to be licensed and any unauthorised use will quickly be curtailed.

24. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

I. Don't. Care.
    It makes absolutely no difference to me whether they were licensed or not.
    If Kaspersky decides to sue and Baidu drops their signatures, then bummer.
    Until then, the only thing that matters is the degree of protection Baidu offers.

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

You must just have a lessor moral code than some others.

Personally I do not like seeing other companies intellectual property stolen. Not sure if that is the case here, but if it is, I won't use the product.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.