Baidu Antivirus 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Feb 27, 2013.

1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Re: Baidu Antivirus 2013 (Beta)

I'm at work, and can't check now, but I do not think they are in the cloud. The old Kingsoft AV used to have peak memory of about 55meg. This version gets up to about 250meg. It seems after updates, it normally gets up to about 135meg. Then over the next hour or so settles back down to 10-30meg.

I have not had enough time to monitor CPU use, but disk I/O seems a bit higher than the old Kingsoft program also.

2. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Theres an Avira subfolder with about 75 mb of .vdf files (Avira defs I think) if that helps. Program folder size (248 mb) doesnt change Avira enabled or not. Here are the rest of the contents of the Avira subfolder (vdf files not shown)...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  3. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi,
    FYI, Avira Protection Cloud is included in all 2013 Premium products. You can run a cloud scan like it was possible in beta via the Quick Scan profile in Scanner.
    Here is how Protection Cloud works : http://www.avira.com/en/avira-protection-cloud

4. spywar

spywar Registered Member

No AVIRA engine cannot be cloud based (I mean the whole DB) AVC is different see the post above by johnyjohn.

But I would like to know if "Their cloud engine" is their own or the KingSoft's one ? (Just check the signs like Win32.Troj.Generic.Cloud identification or Win32.Troj.Undef.Cloud identification)

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thanks so Avira has its data base also on client (75 MB seems like full data base with AVIRA)

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just install Baidu on a second computer, this time one running Windows 7. Unlike on my XP computer the options were set the same as for you.

However, it should be noted that by default Avira is only disabled for real time protection - when you do a manual scan Avira is always used in addition to Baidu's own scan engine. Having Avira disabled severely limits detection.

I will email Baidu to find out if it disabled in order to increase compatibility with other AVs (Kingsoft AV which this is closely related to this was designed to run alongside another realtime AV without any conflicts), or just to reduce the impact on system performance.

I ran a quick scan and there were a few false positives found. Thankfully it is really easy to ignore these. Unfortunately you can only do this one file at a time - but on the plus side it only takes a single click to ignore a file -i.e. to ignore 10 files just takes a total of ten mouse clicks.

I will install the version with combined AV and system optimizer soon on my 32 bit Windows install.

7. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Yes, the detection partners are included in VDF files which are downloaded locally : http://www.avira.com/en/support-vdf-history

8. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I think Baidu AV focus on Chinese malware and Avira on general malware.

9. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

This was the quote given in the article:

He says they are trying to build their own monopoly, while claiming to just want to break a monopoly - he thinks their motives are ironic, i.e. "the biggest joke". He's not saying their product or partnership is a joke.

10. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Oh, you know, I just got 14 FP's already:rolleyes:
    Anyways I can exclude them easily.

11. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

OK just saw this program here on the forum, just reinstalled and older xp computer and needed an anti-virus. Definitely has alot of similarities to Kingsoft, but works on this computer. Had to remove Kingsoft as it kept freezing up if I tried to do any function with it. Question for anyone here, I installed the anti-virus beta this afternoon then saw the post about the PC Faster program. I downloaded it and installed not knowing it also had its own anti-virus section. They are both running with no problems but can I uninstall the regular anti-virus program as the PC Faster also has it?? Both have the triple scanning engines and when Avira updated its definitions both programs are at the same level. Kind of like the PC Faster as it also has the USB scan function plus all the other goodies. Anyone have experience with these and if I uninstall the anti-virus program will my level of protection be the same?? Thanks!!!!

12. roger_m

If you download PC Faster + Antivirus then you should uninstall Baidu Antivirus, as PC Faster + Antivirus includes Baidu antivirus.

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I got an update today to version 3.0.1.22221.

14. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Kind of what I figured, had disabled it right now but will delete and just go with PC Faster. Thanks for the info!! Really like this program, seems light and unobtrusive.

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Any amateur tests on this. :D

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I'm wondering the same. I don't currently have a VM setup, otherwise I'd test it myself.

17. fenson

fenson Registered Member

What's with these Chinese programs not giving full OS support? I use Kingsoft on my Vitsa 32 bit Desktop & also on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. Baidu supports windows 7 32 bit & not 64 bit?
    I also wanted to try Kingsoft Cheetah browser,but it doesn't support Vista at all
    As long as they keep on updating the definitions,i think i will stay with Kingsoft(for now).I am interested in Baidu one though.
    I like Kingsoft"s USB protection & i can create skins for it.

18. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Opinions from other computer security forum about Baidu AV Beta:
    (Amateur test)

If you (1) enable Avira for real time protection, (2) set Baidu AV engine on high and (3) file protection system on "strict"
    you'll get the detection rate around 90%.
    Long time to remove malware, plus quite a few crashes while removing viruses.

Baidu.PNG
    Proactive defence needs to get stronger.

Let's say, Avira Internet Security 2013 on the same test scored 87%, Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 -91%
    F-Secure Internet Security 2013 - 91%
    G-Data Internet Security 2013 - 94%.

Avast IS 8.0.1482 + Advanced Systemcare Ultimate 6 + Baidu Antivirus 2013 - 100%.

19. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

I set the Baidu engine setting to Normal.
    On High it detected Free Download Manager, Media Player Classic, Driver Fusion, TuneUp Utilities, and CDisplayEx through heuristic detection.
    On normal only the last two.

20. roger_m

Baidu Antivirus does support 64 bit Windows.

However there are two more products being discussed here:
    Baidu PC Faster - which is a system optimization program, not as antivirus which I made a separate thread for it.

Baidu PC Faster + Antivirus - which combines PC Faster and the Antivirus into a single product.

PC Faster and PC Faster + Antivirus do not support Windows 8 or support 64 bit Windows 7/Vista, however Baidu Antivirus does support these.

21. roger_m

I've just ditched my paid copy of Outpost Security Suite Pro on the main laptop I use for Baidu Antivirus. Very occasionally one of the Outpost processes was using around 40% CPU time. High CPU use from an antivirus is something I never tolerate (unless manually doing a scan), so I uninstalled it.

My computer is now running a lot better - it was frustratingly sluggish before. Even my Sleipnir web browser was using quite a bit of CPU use previously, but so far after the uninstall it is back to normal.

The detection rates of Baidu are a slight concern to me. But I guess the HIPS compensates for that somewhat, and I always prefer lightness of an AV over detection rates anyway.

Ironically I had only just entered the serial number into Outpost (I purchased Outpost Pro before installing it) due to the trial period expiring. I must add that Outpost seemed to not be too heavy when I first installed it.

22. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Just installed this and it runs extremely light. I like it -- there was just one false positive which I tried to upload to their website but the link doesn't work. o_O BAV also doesn't register with Windows action centre.

dhrhu22 wrote
    My Baidu folder is 80mb in total and the Avira folder is just 2.78 mb, the Avira engine and updater is there but no defs. Don't know why mine differs.

Win 7 64 bit, 12 Gb RAM,

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  23. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Aaah it's just updated now all Avira defs are there.

24. zmechys

I've downloaded Baidu AV and installed on my Windows 7 laptop along with the "heavy-on-the-system-champion" Ashampoo Anti-Malware.
    I turned off Ashampoo AV, restarted three times my computer, but Windows Security Center still does not want to recognize Baidu AV.
    Window7&Baidu.PNG

I've checked the memory usage for Baidu. It was high 143,328 K. I was not scanning or updating Baidu.
    Baidu_load.PNG

After ten minutes, the memory usage for Baidu went down.
    LowBaidu_Load2.png

When I tried to change settings for Privazer, "Delete Pagefile.sys at next PC shutdown only", a message popped up from Baidu with the warning:
    BaiduAler.PNG

25. zmechys

From F-Secure labs. Backdoor:W32/Bohu.A
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/backdoor_w32_bohu_a.shtml

I know it's only coincidence but...

"The malware is detected as Trojan-Dropper:W32/Bohu.A and is a NullSoft installer that contains the following:
    uuse-5905.exe
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\dsop7.xml
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\msfsg.exe
    .Besides installing the files, it also modify the system's IP settings to use DHCP."

" SETUP321046.EXE contains the following:
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\dsetup.exe
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\mpflt.inf
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\mpflt_m.inf
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\msfsg.exe
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\newnetgar.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\siglow.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\siglow.sys
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\spass.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\SyssData.bin
    .After extracting the files, SETUP321046.EXE will use msfsg.exe to append garbage data to the following files:
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\dsetup.exe
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\newnetgar.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\siglow.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\siglow.sys
    %ProgramFiles%\baidu\spass.dll"

"
    This component also modifies traffic to several addresses related to the following domains:
    google.cn
    baidu.com
    sogou.com"

These components are responsible for dropping network traffic to the following AV related sites:
    rsup10.rising.com.cn
    rsdownauto.rising.com.cn
    cloudinfo.rising.com.cn
    cu005.www.duba.net
    cu010.www.duba.net
    cu.www.duba.net
    f-sq.ijinshan.com
    geo.kaspersky.com
    stat.ijinshan.com
    qup.f.360.cn
    h.qup.f.360.cn
    up.f.360.cn
    down.360safe.com
    dl.360safe.com
    sdup.360.cn
    .These components are also detected as Trojan:W32/Bohu.A."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.