Baidu Antivirus 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Feb 27, 2013.

1. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@GakunGak I don't know about heroic. I just found the false positive and made sure it was fixed.

I really like Baidu's products, but sadly their antivirus really slows down my computer.

3. GakunGak

You looked deeper than any of us here and didn't jump with the train rolling.
    In my eyes, that's something worthy of respect! :thumb:
    Did you go cloud only with them, enabling avira just on on demand scan? The way I remember it, there is low, normal or deep scan settings for realtime, or something like that?

4. roger_m

That was the default setting. Also I set the proteciton to low and disabled proactive protection. I even disabled Baidu's hips service. But it still was making a noticable impact on my system.

I've found 360 IS to be noticably lighter, but it does cause slowdowns at times.

5. GakunGak

I sometimes experienced noticaple CPU slowdown [over 25% usage], but it was not a constant problem.
    Maybe it clashes with some realtime process in the background, or active service, who knows...
    Any word of them adding Sandbox in the mix?

6. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Thx roger_m !
    This seems to make some things clearer!

7. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Same here, this was why I stopped using it.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Running Baidu and WSA together and they play well. And so far no slow downs.

Attached Files:

9. roger_m

No, there's nothing for it to clash with.
    I have no idea on that, and personally I don't care as I've never used any sandbox and probably never will.

10. GakunGak

You're sure? On a clean sys, slowdown is not noticable...

11. roger_m

Yes, very sure. It's not a clean system, but even though I've installed many diffenent antiviruses over the course of the last 7 months, I've always cleaned up leftovers with Revo Uninstaller when uninstalling them. So I don't think there are any leftovers from a previous AV install causing any problems.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Anything obviously new in it?

14. Oximoronman

Oximoronman Registered Member

Hi,
    do Chinese version of Baidu can be used in whole world or only in China (I think what is written in license)?

15. tns

tns Registered Member

Where can I get latest baidu antivirus beta?

16. roger_m

17. roger_m

I've just installed v5.6.2.147365 of Baidu Antivirus, and it is very light. Usually I notice an immediate drop in system performance as soon as I install Baidu (and I've tested a number of versions), even with it set to the lightest settings, despite it being known as being very light. However, this time (so far at least), the system impact so far is very minimal, similar to what I've found with Qihoo's 360 line of security products.

I'm doing a full scan, and CPU use is mostly under 10% with just occasional spikes, but even then CPU use is usually under 20%. I saw 38% CPU use for a moment, but like I said, most sipkes are at 20% of less.

As soon as I installed it, I set the real-time protection mode to fast, and the Baidu antivirus engine to the low setting, to make it run lighter (but offer less protection), so can't comment on the impact when running it with the default settings.

I haven't enabled Avira's scan engine as of yet.

18. roger_m

I've just enabled Avira's scan engine (only for on demand scans) and set the detection level to normal instead of low for better detection.

19. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

i've tried this av in the past but thought it's way behind qihoo 360. i've just installed it again yesterday and liking it already, perhaps even more than qihoo 360, or at least on the equal. would like to see more activity on this thread though......

edit: hey roger, where did you get this version v5.6.2.147365?

20. roger_m

@tk55 Baidu removed the new version from their website. Maybe it had some issues.

I have uploaded the online installer for v5.6 to my Dropbox account, so you can download it from there.

21. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

thanks roger. i even found version 5.8.0.150821 at a couple of internet sites. wonder why their official website is stuck at v5.4.x. they must have some serious problems.

i tested baidu with qihoo 360 installed at the same time on a pc and found that baidu actually interferes with qihoo's scanning. with baidu realtime off, qihoo report everything is clean. but with it on, qihoo detected 54 threats!!! the same did not happen in the reverse situation. weird....

as with scanning results, baidu found crystaldiskinfo.exe had the opencandy malware where qihoo just ignores it. on the other hand qihoo's heuristic detected 2 patched softwares while baidu didn't. they seems to have different policies when come to malware detection.

baidu's inbuilt adblock also didn't work very well, misses some ads. that's one of the features i like thinking that i can skip adblock addon to my browsers but didn't work out :(

i've also tried baidu pc faster. it's speed up scan wanted to clean out everything it found without giving you the opt out like qihoo did.

so at the end they both have the good and bad depending on what you're expecting from them i supposed.

edit: qihoo's main problem is false positive, lots of it. no wonder they had to cheat :)

22. roger_m

@tk55 I don't like the Baidu's ad blocker as prevents you from opening ads from Google. Say for example Google shows ads when do a search, the ad blocker still lets the ad show, but won't let you visit the advertisers website if you click on the ad.

Wtih Baidu's PC Faster, you can add anything you don't want removed to its ignore list, if you go to the speedup screen.

23. winlin

winlin Registered Member

Webroot secureanywhere seems to be detecting baidu pc faster installers as pua.gen. Is it safe? Both the online and offline installers are detected as that.

24. roger_m

@winlin It's safe, but I don't personally use it anymore.

25. winlin

winlin Registered Member

@roger_m what do you use instead of pc faster?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.