Baidu Antivirus 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Feb 27, 2013.

1. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

Unfortunately so, clocks.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Wow. That's is disturbing. And people always warned about Qihoo. Sounds like Baidu is the one to worry about.

3. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

It is disappointing for sure. I like the fact it uses the Avira engine and the overall neatness of the interface. However I had a gut feeling it contained some kind of spyware. My trust has already diminished in trying this product out again.

4. anon

anon Registered Member

5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

To me, anything that has the name BAIDU in it is a virus, Baid browser, Baidu PC Optimizer, and now Baidu AV! this has to be a joke that anyone in his right mind will install anything from such a company that lives off injecting spyware and ads to users with its crapware

6. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

No, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but after hitting a button half a ton of crap was downloaded and installed which, as you have stated, was very hard to get rid off.

Be prepared to do a reinstall/image otherwise avoid.

Regards Eck:)

7. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

I used Baidu because of it's PC Faster thing, and app updater, as well as their browser.
    Here's my take on Baidu [will only present my experience, even though I'm a Qihoo fan]:
    1: Antivirus part is good. It is light, fast, it does it's job. It does have additional modules [traffic control with firewall-ish functions], plugins scan, etc.... It does not install anything damaging or malicious, much less spyware, advare, or any type or ware there is. Thing is safe to use.
    2: PC Faster: optimization software with antivirus integrated which helps to speed up, clean up, patch up and generally take care of Windows. It has additional tools to fix facebook errors, network errors, and other tools. It does recommend to install antivirus [even though you probably already have one], so no clicky clicky, you actually have to READ everything it displays. You can safely ignore such recommendations if you don't want them.
    3: PC Apps store [software installer/updater thing] is like a repository of programs [think AllMyApps], which monitors existing programs and helps keeping them updated. You can also choose other software to install [freeware/shareware/trialware] from it's impressive database, one click and it downloads the install package and helps you install it easy.
    Wallpaper changer is also nice [mmm, those asian girls!!!], but now I don't use it since I put gta5 wallpaper [trevor hunting wildlife!].
    4: Browser, well, a google chromium fork, several generations behind, nice addons but there are better ones.

All in all, long story short, baidu is safe to use [roll it in virtual windows if you want], play with it [smartly!], and decide for yourself if you want to use it or not.
    After all, if they did what rumors say they do, they wouldn't have this:
    http://antivirus.baidu.com/news/2014-12-25/1422484425.html

Their main webite: http://global.baidu.com/
    Happy downloading!
    Have fun :-*

8. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Totally agree :thumb:

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Well, first of all, Baidu Internet Security is a very good antivirus. I prefer 360 Internet Security to Baidu's offering, because it is lighter. Their optimizer PC Faster, is excellent and I've installed it on a number of computers. It does a really good job of cleaning up junk and making a computer run faster.

Also, Baidu's Android software is excellent as well.

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

This is one of the advantages of using Linux = no adware, no crap = no need for a system re-install. Only clean programs, the vast majority being free (as in freedom and price).

I would never use BAIDU; if they have the "courage" to create hard-to-remove products, what would impede them to do the same as iObit (another Chinese company which I believe they're connected), the company that stole Mawarebytes' database? Who knows why their AV is so good, you know? :p You can't trust a new company that did crap products and all of the sudden creates a good AV (considering it actually is good, and that av-comparatives wasn't bought by this huge company called BAIDU).

11. roger_m

Have you got any evidence to back your claim that they are connected?
    Well it is using Avira's scan engine as well as their own. Secondly, I'm not sure if it actually is a new product. For example Qihoo who only released their English language antiviruses in the last few years, have published a Chinese language antivirus for many years.

12. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

No, that's why I said "I believe", and not "they are connected".

This explains some.

I only began to see Baidu's security products last year.

13. roger_m

So, it's just a guess on your part?
    The same here. But, I'm not sure of their history. So it certainly is possible they have had a Chinese language antivirus previously.

In any case, in my opinion their products are excellent.

14. SLE

SLE Registered Member

On all systems that I know, Baidu AV installs PUP Crossrider without any question (as a Windows Task).

15. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Wow! I wonder how smart people here on Wilders actually even dare to use something like this!

16. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

17. roger_m

No it doesn't. No only does it not install it, it actually detects and removes CrossRider. I know this because my laptop was recently "infected" with CrossRider. Baidu's System Repair Tool detected and removed it. There were still a few traces left which the antivirus component of Baidu PC Faster found and removed.

So, how do you "know" that "Baidu AV installs PUP Crossrider without any question," when that was not the case for me?

18. roger_m

It seems to be an excellent antivirus to me. I recently got CrossRider and few other unwanted programs install on my laptop due to a rogue downloader. While Roboscan (which uses a Bitdefender's scan engine) let them install, Biadu's antivirus componet in Baidu System Repair and PC Faster removed them.

19. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Install Baidu AV and run a scan with Malwarebytes or just take a look in Windows Task Manager. In a german board everybody who tried and installed Baidu in the last weeks gets this.

20. GakunGak

I won't question your experience, but unless something changed in the last month, I never found any kind of PUP after installing Baidu.
    And that I back with HitmanPro, MBAM, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Norton Power Eraser. I can't speak for HerdProtect as it would really take a long time now for all that, but for the sake of argument, I will clean install all baidu stuff together and scan again. Not only for that particular PUP, but for any/all extra/unwanted stuff.

21. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Yes do it. Install and scan with MBAM.
    Even today a user installed Baidu 5.2.3 and after install MBAM finds Crossrider in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks.

Some people report that even when uninstalling Baidu creates that again. And users that requested Baidu via Mail about it never got an answer.

22. GakunGak

As I write this, VMWare 11 is bursting in flames and W7 64bit is pulling more G forces than Prometheus spaceship from Stargate SG1... Shouldn't take long to get it up and running....

Well I'll be.... Even for my standards, this is way too much....

Went to global.baidu.com and downloaded Spark Security Browser, which installed itself, Baidu PC Faster, which installed, and downloading Baidu antivirus which did not yet installed itself.

I couldn't wait so as soon as browser and faster were installed I ran full scan on just installed W7, and there it is......

This comes as a huge shock and extreme dissapointment....
    Until this is removed, it goes to blacklist......

http://s8.postimg.org/xpygocwz7/baidupcfaster.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  23. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

24. roger_m

Don't worry everyone, the detection of CrossRider is actually a false positive. I am actually quite surprised that people believed MBAM's detection and did not check to see if it was a false positive.

I'm guessing MBAM is detecting this due to the name of the scheduled task. If you open task sheduler, and take a look at the task, you will see it is launching a JavaScript file.
    Baidu.jpg
    If you open the Duplicaterecord.js file in notepad, you will see it is a file written by Baidu, and is not related to CrossRider. A scan of the file at VirusTotal confirmed what I already knew - the file is clean.

25. roger_m

I have just posted about this at Malwarebyte's forum so they can remove the false positive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.