Bahh! Now What

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by EASTER, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I can access REGEDIT from the RUN box but services.msc is dead as a doornail.

Does anyone know any fix that restores this? The same applies to any of my Control Panel Computer Management icons, NOTHING BUDGES AT ALL.

I even reset the XP Pro entire PERMISSIONS to see if that was it, and of course it's idle as a dead log.

This is a test machine but why is it REGEDIT & MSCONFIG opens fine but SERVICES.MSC ignores the command to open.

OK, this one is a first for me, any ideas aside from the fact i'm going to install SP3 in XP Pro to see if that finally resolves this error.

Whew! Windows gives me heart aches whenever i run into these problems far worse then any malware ever has, EASTER

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Istall SuperAntiSpyware and see if its repair functions (in preferences) can help you out?

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi Easter,

can you open it after booting into "Safe mode"? Also, if you have "System Restore" enabled, can you restore to an earlier point?

Other possibilities I have are:

Click Start, Run and type & Enter:

regsvr32 filemgmt.dll

...or

Try running: scannow /sfc

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The files are definitely missing, i think the only chance is to see if SP3 can recopy all necessary files again becuase i tried everything on Google and your own suggestions. Thanks

This test machine isn't been used in over a year so maybe a grimlin made off with them.

5. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

6. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

A PC that works as you wish and hope it to is a joy, one that does not, well, its certainly not even close to being a joy to use at all.

But actually, the more interesting of the 2 situations is the 2nd one. Frustrating, very much so, but most definitely more interesting.

IMHO

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

My dear mighty EASTER, where are your snapshots backups, be it from drive-snapshot or FD-ISR o_O?

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

9. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

... and look to IE addons/IE addons used by IE - if you have Activated: XML DOM Document (ActiveX Control) msxml3.dll. If Activated - is OK!

... and IE Addons/Additional composants run without requiring permission - I have 11 Activated positions of msxml3.dll.

EASTER? ... Hello EASTER ... PAQUES PASQUA WIELKANOC OSTERN PASEN ... Ben ... You choose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.