BAH! Winamp

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Detox, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I thought Winamp wasn't a spying application, but the newest version sure was, at least when I put it on my computer. Upon installation I was impressed when it asked about the anonymous statistics, etc and I said no to all, as well as the AOL crap being installed. However, it still did all of the above, trying to connect when opened and running itself in the systray constantly. Once again I turned to Trojancheck (yeah I'm rough) and removed it's constant running application, but it would still try to connect so I told Sygate to never let it have access. Actually, by this time it was pretty much harmless and disabled as far as spying goes, but then I found all the AOL stuff on my machine anyway so I removed the whole thing. Those bastards.

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

upon further inspection, it also put the AOL links in my favorites list, and on the "Start" menu.

I am currently using a very OLD version of WMP (the one that CAME with my OEM Win98SE) and it's fine (no spying) but doesn't have the "playlist" ability that I would like. Any suggestions to a non-spying media player with mp3 playlist ability?

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Yep, winamp was the best thing going untill AOL bought them. The "minibrowser" is the wost part. If you disable that, any emails, kill the resident exe, block it from the net, and delete all the favorites and shortcuts addittions, it is a decent player lol.

Maybe we need the WMP or Wilders Media Player. Who wants to build it? JavaCool? Shouldn't take too long with vb6 eh?

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

LOL! :D (..work in progress..)

regards,

paul

5. 729888y40k21

729888y40k21 Guest

http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/21415.asp

Quintessential Player GOOD!!! spyware NA!!

6. Paul Wilders

Thanks for the link ...(eh..could you pick another user name? ;) ).

Is there an English link available as well? Not that many members/visitors do comprehend the German language..

regards,

paul

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Especially us un-worldly Americans :oops:

8. Quintessential Player 3.40 Date added: 6/14/2002
    Developer's web site
    MP3 and CD player
    Quintessential Player is a very impressive MP3 and CD player that has all the popular functions combined in a very attractive skin interface. The interface has different size modes, depending on the functions you are using. If you thought "Sonique" was a cool looking player, you should take a look at this one! Quintessential Player supports CDDB, playlists, artist information, plugins, visual effects, a full set of mixer controls and much more. Overall, one of the very best MP3 players you will find!

http://www.webattack.com/get/quintessential.shtml

Ja AnotherUserName LOL

9. Paul Wilders

Much obliged! :cool:

Immerhin, ob dieses programm das einziges alternativ ist, ist mir nicht klar.. ;)

(nevertheless, I'm not that sure if this one is the one and only alternative)

regards,

paul

10. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Detox, i'm lost here....i don't recall any AOL asking or installing itself when i d/l'ed winamp 2.80. i do not have AOL showing up in my browser (IE6) in the top menu bars, bottom menu bars, or anywhere in my Favourite lists. Was i just lucky or did this sneak in since i d/l'ed it back in April/02?

the only AOL i have is in my Start Menu, but i know exactly where that came from....that was placed there when i d/l'ed ICQ...i just haven't removed tried removing it yet because ICQ might get cranky.

i have just turned on my winamp and now playing an MP3 and watching my Firewall (Sygate 5, Build 1117) and nothing from winamp is trying to call out. Now when i stream, i keep a close eye on the packets and watch what connects...and it only shows the radio site i am streaming to.

to disable the winamp agent you go into Options/Preferences/Setup/Agent/ ...and uncheckmark ALL 3 boxes.
    i like to keep an icon on my destop for winamp, but that was something i chose to do when i installed it...but it doesn't sit in the system tray at all, unless i am playing it, but again, that can be changed under the Options....."Options/Preferences/Options/Display....there are many options in that section on how you want winamp to display when you are using it.

i usually do a scan just before i d/l a program...then immediately after d/l, then again after install before i turn off the pc.....i have even d/l'ed some other programs that would detect spyware/malware since i d/l'ed winamp..and nothing has ever been detected by any of them.

i am so sorry you have had such a bad time with winamp.
    it's a great li'l player for free.

i know there was a security flaw in the mini-browser, but that was quickly patch with version 2.80.....i am not that familiar with the mini-browser...i don't have any need to use it...and i keep winamp pretty simple; no plugins, etc.,

if the version you are referring to is the newest one Version 3, i'd sure like to know because then i won't up-date to that one, and i'll be Very disappointed if there is spyware in winamp. ~sigh~

Paul....i am wondering what you'd call your player.... :D....but i do think it would definitely sell! ;)

11. Paul Wilders

..what a pitty we are non-profit..might reconsider now :D

regards,

paul

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

I don't have that one, so I really cannot say much about it, but I know that I have read more than one poster elsewhere being enthusiastic about it......

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Snap, it was 2.80...

I dunno if something changed since you got it or what, but I told it no for all that stuff, and I also use SPF which detected WinAMP trying to get "auto update" connection every time I turned it on and that crap in the systray... I don't remember the name of the app that was in systray but I think I'll give this other one here a try...

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Just thought of this, but I did use the "full install" version...

15. snapdragin

yup, i had d/l'ed the full version just prior to 2.80, then updated to 2.80 for the mini-browser patch...it was the second thing i d/l'ed after ICQ---after i got all the security programs i needed installed first though :)

i do hope you find a player that you like Detox and have better luck with it than you did winamp.

for a long time there i used MusicMatch Jukebox...even purchased two copies of it...the sound was INCREDIBLE!!
    even mono sounded like stereo! But i let it go since each up-date seemed to make the player more sluggish and sometimes even hang my Win98....not even sure if it's as "clean" as it was back then...but it might be something to consider checking out?

let us know which one you decide to go with :D......it's always good to have a back-up choice, just in case!

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I got the Quintessential, and it's pretty darn nice! doesn't bugger the ol' firewall, seems nice and clean and honestly has a pretty neat ultra-modern look to it. Sound is fine, honestly never noticed much difference between players.

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Oh, BTW, I just discovered that AOLfree.com or some crap like that had also put itself into my "trusted sites" FFS Dirty rotten blank blank blanks.

18. snapdragin

picks up all the *blank*blank*blanks* laying around

LOL! now, now, we have an up-coming party to get ready for! ;)

i am SO glad you found a player you like Detox!
    Just in time for the party too! :D

(checks her Favourites just in case)...ok, ya made me look! LOL!

19. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well lots of stuff has put itself into "favorites" before so no surprise there, but I never had put anything in the "trusted sites" before that day, and I found "AOLfree.com" or whatever in there. I can't say 100% for sure that WinAMP did it, but it did all those other AOL things that were more visable so it sure is highly suspect, and the computer is pretty new and I haven't had any other AOL junk on here yet.

Anyway, I think I would recommend Quintessential also, quite nice and functional with a neat look, but of course I don't have a big background for comparison.

20. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Another alternative is an older, freeware version of Winamp 2.79. No crap, no spyware, freely distributable provided it remains intact. Great little player. Uses very little resources. (I'll see if I can find the link where I got it.) :)

Found it!

http://www.oldversion.com/winamp.shtml

They also have older versions of a lot of popular titles. It's worth a look.

21. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yup I ditched the Quintessential for this Winamp. This old Winamp didn't do any of the nasty stuff that new one did, and it takes less resources than the Quint did, less muss n fuss so to speak, not trying to be flashy saves it a lot of system use I think.

22. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Just for the record, I've been trying for two days to access oldversion.com and getting "This Page Cannot Be Found" or "Access Denied" messages. I've tried dozens of different site addresses but no go. I suppose the site has gone down for some reason. If anyone gets a connection with the above link, please IM me or post it here. Thanks.

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'm getting a blank also. I did happen to read on it the first time I was there that they were outta money and needed a server for cheap or donations or both and stuff like that.. I guess it's too late for 'em now.

24. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

25. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Wow! they really have some oldies there!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.