Bad Update?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by TBacker, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBacker

TBacker Registered Member

I've been out of the office for 2 days and return to find more than half of my clients running 3.0.684 showing old definitions and either undocumented serious errors or general compiler errors.

Was there a bad update this week?

I'm getting really friggin sick of rebooting mission critical machines that need to stay up 24-7 because they randomly get these errors. This mass problem is icing on the cake.

And no, I don't want to jump on V4 because, while it supposedly fixes this issue, it is still too new and too buggy. I want to sleep at night, and not have to worry about checking the admin console daily for blown up clients.

After reading the issues starting all over with V4, I have to say I'm going to do whats right for my company and look for a replacement that actually runs without constant intervention. Too bad. Eset used to be good. My 2.7 clients (servers) NEVER need human help.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. not4

not4 Registered Member

Worst thing is that they don't want / don't know how to fix it!!! 0x101 is happening since ver.3 was introduced... Should've gone with a major brand's AV:ouch:

3. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Been there done that ;)

4. precisi0n

precisi0n Registered Member

I understand your plight, it is in the nature of admins to be paranoid.

The undoc serious error is easily fixed by clearing the update cache, sometimes even without a reboot required. They should have addressed this issue some time ago, but to be honest all of the rest of the features like the small footprint and highest detection rate in the market make it worth while.

5. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

I had a few of these this week to. Less than 1% of my PC's. Many show "Component Update" in the logs prior to this, twice.

I've also seen this occur on a PC that fills up the c:\ so that there is no space to download patterns. I'd like to see NOD32 reserve ~100MB of disk space for updates. That way if the C:\ does fill up, NOD can still update by releasing some of this space. My .02.

6. TBacker

TBacker Registered Member

Until we use up the rest of the current license term, I may set up scheduled batch files to clean out the update cache folders regularly. Kind of a Rube Goldberg thing to do, but it keeps it off of my plate.

I also made the admin server issue reporting more sensitive to give my Blackberry a kick if anything resembling an update issue is reported.

It's like babysitting the babysitter.

7. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Download Interrupted
    uanble to connect to server

Are my most common issues.. Most of the time clearing out cache on the server and initiating an update fixes it or even pushing out the xml config to the machine fixes it..

8. Gamil

Gamil Registered Member

If that's your dream, I wish you luck with it. I've had plenty of update issues with NOD32. The alternatives, however, include:

SAV: Randomly decides it no longer wants to update automatically. Doesn't tell you it isn't updating. Doesn't tell you that updating no longer works, at all. Reinstalling doesn't fix it. Have to dig up LU updates and hope they fix the problem. When they don't, try hard-removing and pray you can reinstall.

(OK, I'm being a little hard on SAV. Honestly, the worst of the NOD32 update issues isn't TOO much better than the worst SAV update issues.)

McAfee: Has it caught anything in years? Every other system I have to clean an infection out of is using some McAffee or an ancient version of NAV/SAV.

Trend: All the nondetection of McAffee Corp. combined with the resource-hogging of NAV<09. No, but thanks!

KAV: Kaspersky wouldn't be so bad if it didn't eat more of a system than NAV<09. KAV is probably the way to go if you don't mind upgrading all of your systems to support it.

Panda/Avira/Avast/AVG/BitDefender/CA: Does ANYONE *seriously* use these commercially?

Honestly, you're going to have similar problems regardless of your AV package. My best suggestion, if you need 24/7 uptime, is to run a tight firewall, tight GPOs, and not worry about the client security software. Oh, and fire anyone who violates the network policy. ;-] )

Second best solution: stick with NOD32 2.7. Migrating to SAV, which is the only other decent option, is pointless. You'll have the same types of issues, and you'll just waste time (and money!) migrating.

Alternately, if someone is willing to fork over the truckload of cash, move everything to Citrix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.