bad News for PcTools AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I knew this day would come when Symantec bought them out.

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

My argument has never been that companies don’t stumble and make mistakes -- only that major investments, such as an acquisition, are considered carefully. These internal deliberations do not guarantee success, of course.

If you are interested in this subject, please read the recent book: How The Mighty Fall by Jim Collins.

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Not sure where to post this, but thought this thread might do.

Considering PC Tool's spyware doctor doing extremely well in the latest AV Comparatives report, thought I'd youtube the program, see how the latest version is.

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

Although it blocked all the threats in the video, without getting into discussion on the number of threats blocked, I'm most impressed by its alerts, and how easy it would be for a user to simply block a threat.

With threatfire built in, it's become one powerful program. Features here: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61050

What I'm getting at, if it is indeed a light program now (or on the path to improving), its detection rate is improving, has some new valuable features (blocking malicious website, game mode) and many reviews saying it does a great job in cleanup, after seeing how easy it is to setup and use, it might be a great alternative for those people that worry about which action a user might select with threatfire's alerts.

That's always my worry anyway.

SD with AV seems to give more basic and clearer alerts (than threatfire). So if pc tools keeps developing just three products, threatfire, firewall, and spyware doctor with AV (seen it for around $20, one licence), I think they should have a good future ahead. If the program performs as well as it does in those videos above, could be a solid program for users that have a habit of installing rogues and toasting their system.

4. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hope my Firewall is safe... PC Tools Firewall Plus :(

Zeena

5. progress

progress Guest

It's a shame that PC Tools AV Free doesn't contain the Spyware doctor definitions and it's therefore not effective against spyware :oops:

6. mvario

mvario Registered Member

You can find Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus free from Google.
    http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html?hl=en

7. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

It missing half the (older) antispyware sig's still. I wish they did not get rid of the anispyware only free edition :(

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

lol. I just did a clean image restore to get rid of threatfire because of this news.

10. progress

progress Guest

Very good detection and only a few FP at AV-C :)

Does this version have a crippled database? :doubt:

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Also wondering if anyone is using the latest version of spyware doctor with AV, paid version?

Impressive AV-C results.

Found some info on the google pack edition:
    http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64361&highlight=google pack

Seems to have same virus and definitions. Difference being, google edition has file and immunizer guard. Paid edition has 8 more active guards. I'm guessing this is browser (block drive-by downloads), IM, email, cookie - advertising tracking, intelliguard (monitors for malicious activity - threatfire component) etc.

If it is a good program nowadays, going for fairly cheap at the v3 store.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  12. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

I have the latest version from a promotion but using defensewall instead.
    Spyware Doctor is not heavy but unfortunately it freezes things if you know what I mean.
    On some occasions it simply freezes my pc for apparently no reason, so that is why I had to switch back to defensewall. When the kids are home shadow defender.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.