Bad Block

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dan_227, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_227

Dan_227 Registered Member

I decided to upgrade to a new SATA drive and perform a clean install of Windows XP PRO. I used True Image 9 boot CD to perform a file backup, selecting only the My Documents folders for the various users on my system. After the clean install, I restored the arcchive to a data folder within the SHARE folder and began to copy the files to their new destinations. All went well except for there is one file which I could not copy nor delete. I cannot delete the parent folder either. WinXP reports the file as having size 0. The WinXP system event log shows bad block or corrupt file system. Invariably, a CHKDSK runs on startup. I am fairly certain the error is due to the way that True Image decompressed the archive. How can I fix the error?

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Since you did a file, not a drive, backup, all TI is doing is restoring the files to whatever sectors are available.

You need to do at least the following:

1. Run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics.
    2. Run the tests at http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm.

Also, from with TI, run a Check Archive.

3. Dan_227

Dan_227 Registered Member

Upon further investigation, it appears that TI was functioning correctly after all. The problem was with a loose connection to the drive. The same archive was later decompressed and came out fine.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Was the connection the SATA cable and obviously "loose" or did it start working when you removed and re-seated it?

If the latter, keep an eye on the XP system event logger you may have a poor quality SATA cable. I had 2 that came with my MB both labelled something like COMAX.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I read recently that loose/poorly seated SATA cables were responsible for more support calls than any other single component. Manufacturers are currently considering different connectors and/or retention methods.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.