Backups failing: possible bad media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mikehd, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

I'm running build 826, saving my backup to a RAID5 array consisting of 4x 250GB Maxtor drives on a 3ware 7506-4LP controller. The RAID5 array is healthy, no problems when media scan is ran. Using Iometer I find that the array achieves ~58MB/s write performance using 64Kb/100%Sequential/100%Write settings per the 3ware KB article 11196.

I've yet to be able to create a successful full backup with this setup. Previously I was able to do so with the same drives configured in software RAID5, but I do not have the Iometer results for that setup.

The backups fail for possible bad media. Is there a timeout setting or minimum write spec that TI requires?

Update: I ran the backup manually (Disk Image/Create Image) and it completed successfully. The attempts above were using the scheduled task function manually. Previously when it failed, I had edited an old scheduled task for the new path name and then tried to execute it. Another significant difference is that the manual process took 6 hours while the scheduled task process was projecting 1+ days.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  2. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

Another update. I repeated the test to make sure that the solution posted above resolved the issue. I got the backup failure: possible bad media again.

Any help here?

3. Lawrence Smith

Lawrence Smith Registered Member

We are experiencing this issue on several servers using RAID 5 and Windows 2003 Server. However if we try the image backup to LYNX server using RAID twe have no problems. The image to a LYNX server took 11 minutes. The same image to a Windows 2003 server took 6+ hours and then failed. We sure would like to know what is going on.

4. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

Here's the log file for the failure.

Attached Files:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mikehd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Start Acronis True Image and create a new task using Schedule Task wizard, but do not schedule it (on the Start Parameters page choose "Do not start automatically"). Set the name of the new task to "Test Task";
    - Download the following file from our site:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/TrueImage8.0_dbg_s_en.zip

- Unpack this archive into the \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage folder;
    - Open the \Documents and Settings\[User]\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\ folder and find the script file with the following parameter inside: display name="Test Task". Please note that this folder is hidden, so you may need to enable "Show hidden files and folders" option in Tools\Folder Options\View menu;
    - Copy this script file to the \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage folder and rename the copy for simplicity (for example, name it 'test.tis');
    - Start Command Prompt from Start -> Programs -> Accessories menu;
    - Type the following commands in the shell window:

cd \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage
    ti_demon /script: test.tis > ti.log 2>&1 ('test.tis' is the name of the copied script file)

- Send the ti.log file from the \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage folder to support@acronis.com along with the link to this post. We will investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I've ran the suggested tool and sent the ti.log via email.

The backup failed again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.