BACKUP WONT START

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by redbeard1, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbeard1

redbeard1 Registered Member

Works if I select backup now, but not on a schedule. Get message "not started" Event viewer shows error with no help. Services are set per "Black Viper".
    XPH SP2

TIA, REDBEARD

2. Welcome To Wilder's redbeard1,

Please doublecheck these services ....

• MS Software Shadow Copy Provider - Manages software-based volume shadow copies taken by the Volume Shadow Copy service. Should you intend to use the Windows XP Backup utility set this to Manual to enable software shadow copy backups to be created. Similarly however if you don’t require this you can also leave it set to Manual.

• Protected Storage - Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users. This should be set to Automatic on all systems. Not only is the Crypto subsystem a good thing to have enabled but it also avoids some problems that can be caused by having the Protected Storage set to Manual or Disabled, e.g. Internet Explorer & possibly Task Manager may have reduced functionality as a result, such as Auto-Complete not working normally or inability to add Scheduled tasks.

• Task Scheduler - Enables a user to configure & schedule automated tasks on this computer. I’d recommend setting this to Automatic, regardless of whether or not you actually have any scheduled tasks. The Task scheduler is used in the Prefetching process - Prefetching is the process of bringing data & code pages into memory from disk before it's demanded, which should help improve overall system & application startup time. You can read further details about this in this Microsoft Windows XP Kernel Article (Scroll down to the Prefetch section). Certainly do not set this to Disabled anyway.
    Lose the asterisk's .... ;)

ht*tp://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/12/XPKernel/XPKernel.asp

ht*tp://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/print.shtml

GF

3. redbeard

redbeard Guest

Set per your post, still wont start.

4. Anything here of interest ....

ht*tp://www.askdavetaylor.com/backup_requires_password_on_windows_xp.html

ht*tp://www.techbuilder.org/views/59201750

.... or a script-stopper of some sort?

GF

5. redbeard

redbeard Guest

6. hmmm (scratching head)... I see the workaround involve's GPEDIT.MSC which isn't available in XPH.
    Sorry I couldn't vouch for it personally but maybe worth an investigation?

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.