Backup to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Disgruntled, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disgruntled

Disgruntled Guest

I installed the latest build, 2337, but still cannot burn the backup file to a DVD+R. The errors are:

Write Error (0x70004)
    Error Writing File (0x40003)

The media is fine as my work around is to build the backup on a hard drive and the copy that file to the DVD and verify it. I can create the boot CDROM okay.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

The DVD media has to be formatted for packet writing with a program like InCD. But your workaround is better since there are so many problems with trying to create the image directly to the dvd.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Disgruntled,

As Chutsman said, the DVD needs to be preformatted via UDF packet writing software (which then needs to be running in the background whilst creating the image). As far as I'm aware, the only software that can "format" DVD+R media is Roxio's DirectCD (it's not formatting in the true sense as that's not possible with "write once" media). Therefore the question is - did you use DirectCD to to preformat the DVD+Rs?

Regards

4. Disgruntled

Disgruntled Guest

InCD only works with re-writeable DVDs. Write once DVDs are less expensive and probably more reliable.

I prefer Nero and have had problems in the past trying to run both Nero and Roxio on the same machine.

If Acronis TI has limitations writing to DVDs, they should clearly state them.

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

The other limitation with putting the backup on DVD media is that you will most likely need several DVDs - very few computer users' hard drives have less than 10-gig of data nowadays. And having to swap out DVDs especially when doing a Restore tends to be a real pain.

With the price of large hard drives so low now, you will save yourself some grief by using a hard drive to store the images, ... initially anyway. Then for extra insurance you can burn those images to DVDs. But use the hard drive to backup to and restore from.

6. computergeek2

computergeek2 Registered Member

I recently was able to make a successful image and then a successful recovery using TI 9 ver. 2337 onto DVD+. First I split the image into 2000 (2 GIG) segments when making the image onto an external usb 2.0 hard drive. Then I burned the individual images ont DVDs using Roxio data. I did not need to do any special preparation of the DVD disks to do this. I then made a recovery using the DVDs. Remember to start the recovery by putting the last burned DVD first when starting the recovery. TI will instruct you to load the other DVDs. Incidentally InCD does not work very well if at all with the new Nero Ultra 7.0. It does not even load when you load their software from their site.

7. Disgruntled

Disgruntled Guest

Computergeek2,

Thanks for confirming TI will recover from backup data written to a DVD. I haven't tried that. I was worried since it won't write directly to the DVD.

We're doing about the same thing by making the original backup to a harddrive and then copying that file to a DVD. My backup file is just over 3 Gigs so it fits easily on one DVD. This is much better than 5 CDROMs.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Disgruntled,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that as Chutsman and Menorcaman have already mentioned above the current version of Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software.

Please note that the need to have a third party UDF packet DVD writing software installed in order to be able to write to DVD directly is clearly pointed at Acronis True Image 9.0 System Requirements Page.

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article.

Please also note that the ability to write images to DVD directly will certainly be implemented in the future builds\versions of a particular product, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

In case you have the appropriate UDF packet DVD writing software installed and all of your DVDs are properly formatted according to the above mentioned FAQ article, but you still can not write your images to DVD, please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.