Backup to DVD: Nero causing conflict?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wthrman, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wthrman

wthrman Registered Member

I am unable to backup anything to CD or DVD. I have downloaded the latest builds that are said to have fixed certain problems with DVD backups. There is an error message 'unknown error' and 'backup terminated by user' .

I have Nero backup software installed (came with a new PC). While one way to find out is to remove Nero, I do not wish to do that. Is anyone aware of a possible conflict that this might cause? Also, what sort of DVD formats does Acronis backup support? There is nothing in the Help that even refers to DVDs, that I can see.

Thanks

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

The DVDs must first be formatted with a packet writing program such as InCD. But you would save yourself a lot of grief if you backup to a hard drive instead. There are many many posts here with problems about backing up to DVD media. If you still prefer to have your backup on DVD, then after backing up to a hard drive, burn this backup to DVD. Of course this means that you have to plan ahead and split the backup images in a size that would fit on dvd media.

3. wthrman

wthrman Registered Member

Thank you for that, I am backing up to a hard drive but just wanted a 'remote' backup as well. I'll take on your suggestions as to formatting etc.

Thanks again

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you are going to burn the images to DVD like I outlined above, there is no need to format the DVDs. Just use Nero to create a DATA disc.

You only need to format if you want to try TI's feature to backup DIRECTLY to DVD media - a process with which many have had problems.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wthrman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software.

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article.

Please also note that the ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds\versions of a particular software, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

In case you have the appropriate UDF packet DVD writing software installed and all of your DVDs are properly formatted according to the above mentioned FAQ article, but you still can not write your images to DVD, please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Make a screen shot or provide the exact text of the error message you have received;

- When exactly have you received this error message?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

If you are not able to backup to CD then please provide us with the above requested information as well.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.