Backup system methods

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Acronuser23, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronuser23

Acronuser23 Registered Member

On another post I read "I learned from a post on this forum how to set up 7 daily tasks to backup each morning to files named Monday, Tuesday, etc."

I do not wish to hijack that thread and therefore am starting a new one. I am helping someone who is not computer savy setup an automated system using TI 11 backing to a external USB HD. Because she does not use her PC for much more than emails and slight correspondence, once a month backups would be fine for her. I made her initial full backup for her and created a task to do incremental backups once a month. But now, I am not sure that is the best way for her to go because
    a) if one incremental backup is corrupted she may not be able to restore anything.
    b) she is an elderly lady and too computer illiterate to do a manual full backup every now and then instead of the incremental ones.
    c) when her external HD fills up she will not know how to delete older backups.

So my questions:
    1. How do I set up scheduled monthly backups for her that would be "full" (system and all) backups _but_ "automatically" delete the oldest backups after 5-6 backups so as to retain space on her external HD?
    2. In other words, could I create tasks that would do full monthly backups named in some logical way that would permit identifying them but deleting or over-writing the oldest one after 5 backups so that they continuously rotate?
    3. On an automated scheduled backup, if validation fails, does TI repeat that backup?
    4. If validation succeeds, can one be sure that the backup is good? (I've heard of problems with restoration with TI version 11).
    Thank you.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can create Backup Locations for which you can set rules that limit the number fo backups.

You can create tasks that save to the backup location and automaticlly create a new full after a spcified number of incs or difs.

You can set the tasks to run ion a schedule using ATI's scehduler, or -- ab it more complicated -- using window's Task Scheduler.

3. Acronuser23

Thank you for replying.

It is my friend who has TI 11. On my PC I only have TI 7. Because I do not have TI 11 on my own PC to play with, can you explain exactly how and where I set "rules" that limit the number of backups?

> You can create tasks that save to the backup location and automatically create a new full after a specified number of incs or difs.

How exactly do I set that up for her?

I guess I could download a trial version of TI 11 to temporarily play with on my own PC but I am afraid that if I did that it might mess up my present working TI 7 installation. Would it?

Thanks.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Acronuser23,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that you can find detailed instructions on using Acronis Backup Locations in chapters 3.5 "Acronis backup locations" and 8 "Backup location management" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Acronuser23

My question is whether installing the trial version of ATI 11 will mess up my current installation of ATI 7. Will it?

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“Because she does not use her PC for much more than emails and slight correspondence, once a month backups would be fine for her.”

Yes, until that day 28 arrives, all hell breaks loose and the last month of e-mails are lost. IMHO – rethink the frequency of backups.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Acronuser23,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Acronis True Image 7 is a very old version, so it's recommended to uninstall it first before installing Acronis True Image 11 Home.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. Acronuser23

But I like my version 7 because it works flawlessly (which is not what I nheard about version 11).

As I said, version 11 is for a friend I am helping and I therefore only wish to install the "Trial version" of version 11 on my own pc. So, my original question is :
    - Will installing trial version 11 overwrite or damage my present existing installation of version 7? In other words can the 2 versions co-exist?

9. Acronuser23

So this elderly 78 year old lady will lose 10 emails. She said she can live with that. I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.