Backup Software Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aarond38, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

Satchmo-but with TI the ONLY recovery environment you need is the Acronis one-as it fully restores the OS and everything else-only the recovery disc is written in Linux,nothing else:D

Mike

2. satchmo

satchmo Registered Member

The only reason a company would choose linux over WinPE as a recovery environment is the royalty. Linux is free. WinPE has a $1.50 royalty for each copy to Microsoft. But the coverage and support for storage and networking drivers is critical when doing bare metal recovery. WinPE is superior in this respect.

3. satchmo

the critical drivers are storage and networking when working in the recovery environment. You must have access to the disk or storage array and if you want access to an image on a network share then you need networking drivers as well. These drivers are critical and if they are not available then you can't perform a bare metal recovery.

4. bktII

bktII Registered Member

mikisu,

I refer to the following URL again:

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-08-08.htm#1

Depending on your disk imaging frequency (Acronix True Image, I believe, supports incremental images; Terabyte Unlimited products do not), you may be in a position of needing to <ATTEMPT> to get a current image if you want to avoid data loss, program reinstallation, etc., since the last image, provided that hardware conditions permit this action (your point is well taken here). My imaging frequency with Terabyte is between 1 and 4 weeks. I also perform limited data backup between images with Snap Backup.

Of course one can always go back to the last image taken. With Terabyte Unlimited, this can be done with a bootable CD based on Image for DOS or a BartPE bootable CD with Image for Windows (IFW). This certainly minimizes the damage. But having IFW on BartPE provides the opportunity to minimize it even further.

bktII

5. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

The TI disc is written in Linux presumably so that it doesnt have to start or conflict with the OS,which it is trying to recover.

All necessary drivers for the restoring are carried on the disc.

Not all Linux is free!

Mike

6. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

Irrespective of the frequency of imaging(and mine is twice weekly),or the state of the OS,TI is able to take a current image without needing Windows or any other recovery disc.

In my case Im sure Bart is great(tried to get it to work,but it doesnt support Win2000),but superfluous:)

Maybe I will be in a position where it could be useful,but using a combination of RollBack and Ti,I cant see it

Mike

7. satchmo

Both Linux and WinPE will occassionally not have storage driver support. Just WinPE I believe is better.

The recovery environment is simply an operating system that can be run from a CD. In order to perform a bare metal recovery, you must have a drive lock on the drive you are restoring to. You also must be able to access the drive by relying on a driver that is recognized when the recovery environment boots. For network support, it is similar, if the recovery environment does not have the driver for your network interface card, then you won't have networking.

These companies are constantly trying to maintain hardware support in their recovery environments. It is a huge issue for them. I have even seen discussions and howtos on adding drivers to WinPE in order to address this issue. But alas, you can't add a driver to a linux recovery environment if the hardware manufacturer never makes a linux driver.

My ultimate point is that hardware manufacturers typically treat support for windows with a higher priority than that of Linux. Some will never even deliver drivers for linux. I think TI has a BartPE plugin to address this issue, although it is an extra step. BartPE is well documented for adding driver support. Bart has does a great job of advancing the WinPE platform.

8. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

Satchmo-

No doubt your points are valid and interesting.

However I think my initial point was lost-the Acronis bootable disc is all thats needed for Windows recovery.

From the Acronis FAQ at their home; http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-details.html

A simple answer-

How does Acronis True Image 9.0 Home work?

"Our original disk imaging backup option which enables you to create an image of your entire hard disk drive, including the operating system, applications, user settings, and all data. Use the image to restore your PC to a known working state without any reinstallation.----

Creating bootable media, which (floppy disks, CDs, or flash drives) will enable you to start your computer when the operating system becomes unstable and you can't boot your machine"

Mike

9. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

Good point-however the latest build of TI addresses this area.

You are correct-there is a Bart Plugin for TI for those who prefer a Windows environment

This is relevant;https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=122275&highlight=bart

Mike

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

According to their wen site, nearest tstorethat has the drive is 31 miles away.

I'm going to stop off at the local store. Sonetimes they have stuff in stock, but they do not know it if you call them.

11. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

Awesome post; extremely informative and helpful. I just found their little freeware iso burning program, BurnCDCC, to be just what the doctor ordered to get full-proof bootable iso CD's without going through a million menus, a la Nero, etc. The only question I have is this: Since I don't need a multi-boot program, and I already have Partition Magic, wouldn't Image for Windows make more sense than BING, especially since Terrabyte makes both programs? Is there something you know about BING that would make it more worthwhile for someone just looking for an image/restore program? TIA.

12. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

Mainly from the perspective of simplicity - it if I'm not going to use something, there's really no point in having/purchasing it. From that perspective, I'd probably be content just with IFD, notwithstanding the differences of opinion as to whether or not it's better to relegate things like image backups to DOS vs Windows. But since I do prefer to operate in a Windows environment, the combo of IFD for restoring, and IFW for capturing the image, works best for me. If I didn't already have Partition Magic, then for sure BING would be the way to go. And actually, since PowerQuest has been bought out by Symantec, it might not be a bad idea to switch over to Terabyte's line 100%, especially given the way they support their products. Something to consider. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.