Backup/Restore to new hardware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by emmis, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmis

emmis Registered Member

I was wondering if someone could outline the steps to ensure that the restore to new hardware on Windows XP would be successful.

I am moving from an 80gb IDE XP system to a 80GB SATA XP system. When I tried it the first time, the post restore XP boot process hung on the SATA system. I assume it was due to the image thinking it was still running on the old hardware. I went into the recovery manager and disabled all services that were loading at boot time since the safe mode would indicate which service was causing the inability to boot. It ultimately failed on a ntfs.sys error so I copied it from the install cdrom. It again failed after that so I raised the white flag and decided to post here.

Before I abandon Acronis, could someone please tell me the exact process to backup and restore to new hardware? I searched this forum and did not find anything that definitively outlined the procedure. Please help and thanks in advance!

2. jsquareg

jsquareg Registered Member

I have done this at least twice. Each time as I recall, I had to do a repair/install by booting to the WinXP Installation disc. Once I had to re-register the installation but the other times it went without a hitch.

The repair/install is the key. I suggest you Google for exact instructions. Essentially, you proceed as though you were doing a completely new installation until the process asks you if you want to repair an existing one or make a new installation. Note that the first time 'repair' appears in the installation process is not the one you want. Proceed to the next one.

Sorry I can't be more specific with the instructions. It has been over 3 years since I have done this.

Good luck!

3. emmis

emmis Registered Member

Thank you for your response. Yes, I know exactly what you are referring to. Unfortunately, the second "Repair" step did not show up in the WinXP disk boot screens. It only gave me the option of reinstalling over the existing installation.

This is the problem with this backup/restore process. I cannot move my data from one machine to another since the backup has drivers for the old hardware.

Someone has to have a solution for this. Can Acronis do this simple task? Anyone else?

(btw, I am backing up and restoring from the boot disk.)

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

The true image home edition cannot backup from one computer and restore that backup on another computer. It can only backup and restore to the same computer.

To backup up from one computer and restore on a different computer you need the universal restore addon.

But if both computers are almost similar with similar type video cards etc, it might work. I've done it before and got the other computer to bootup using true image home edition, but it was more luck if it works.

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Here's what worked for me without having to use the Universal Restore option of Acronis (which incidentaly does not work with the Home version, only the Workstation version).

Before you make the Backup Image, change the display adapter to Standard VGA. When you restore this Image to the other computer, during bootup it will go through a whole slew of "Found New Hardware" gyrations. Let it complete this. After this is done go into Device Manager and check which devices still need the correct drivers. The Display Adapter will be one of them.

6. emmis

emmis Registered Member

That may be the way to go. It is hanging/restarting on the amdagp.sys file. BTW, this backup is from a HP system and I am trying to restore to a Dell Optiplex.

For comparison, I backed up one dell machine and restored to another dell with different but somewhat similar hardware. It started fine, I just had to install the new motherboard drivers thereafter.

Thanks!

7. veritasffg

veritasffg Registered Member

I have backed up from an old IDE hard drive and restored to a new SATA hard drive (which was installed on the same machine where the backup was done), and had no problems. My research causes me to conclude, as others above have concluded, that to restore to new hardware, you need the workstation version of TI.

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

FWIW, in the situation that worked for me I went from an Image made on an Averatec laptop to a no-name Athlon desktop with an XFX GeForce 256mb AGP video card - no Universal Restore required.

9. emmis

emmis Registered Member

So for kicks, I took the same failing backup from the HP and tried to restore it to another, different, Compaq. It failed once again after the restore, when trying to load the amdagp.sys.

Thank you to everyone for your contributions!

10. Kimberlito

Kimberlito Registered Member

You can search this forum for Universal Restore (TI Echo Workstation). Here is the summary.

1) Copying OS from PC-1 to PC-2
    - make EchoW bootable CD or USB with UR feature turned on
    - create image of PC-1 on a USB drive
    - extract hardware drivers from PC-2 using Driver Magician Lite and save them on 2nd USB drive
    - format the drive of PC-2
    - PC-2: boot to EchoW CD or USB - restore the image of PC-1 - Use UR=yes - Add Drivers - add one at a time

2) I've never tried this myself so I don't know how the issue of Windows registration key plays out

3) Ref:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=206978
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/universal-restore.html

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello emmis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

As was explained by other posters, Acronis solution for transferring of a system to different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are you only trying to move DATA from one machine to another, or do you want to move the operating system and programs?

Data is easy, just mount the image on the new machine and copy out all the files you want - or use a files and folders backup and restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.