Backup & Recovery Suite 10 Programs

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bbriley, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

Hi - I recently bought and installed your new Backup & Recovery 10 Suite. I have a question about the difference between the two programs listed in the installation folder (in Windows 7, in this case).

One program in the program group is called "System Backup" - it inserted itself into the Windows startup menu and ran automatically (grr....), trying to place a snapshot image onto my USB external drive. I stopped it (at the time) but had it do a system backup within a few days. Since it is in the startup list, it shows up in the tray whenever Windows starts. I should add that I MANUALLY schedule my backups.

The other program in the program group is called "Backup and Recovery 10 Suite." It is NOT in the startup menu. When I run it, one of the program menu items is called "Smart Backup" - in that, I selected my two hard drives (one of which is partitioned) two days ago and did a backup of the disk images.

My questions are: 1) Is there any difference between the content and structure of the backup images between System Backup and the Smart Backup option within the Backup and Recovery 10 Suite"?; 2) Is it better to do my scheduled backups using one or the other of the above; and 3) Will the Recovery CD which I burned work to recover the drive images from either program choice above, in case of a C:\ drive crash?

Thanks for any help here.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Bbriley,

The System Backup is in place for simplicity and minimal user participation, whereas Backup & Recovery 10 Suite is more for the hands-on user. If you prefer to schedule your own backup, you can disable the System Backup agent from the startup and stick with B&R 10 Suite to setup backups as you please.

All Paragon Backup archives are compatible with Paragon recovery CDs.

To disable the System Backup agent:
    Click on Start > "msconfig" or hit Windows Key + R to bring the Run window and type "msconfig"

On the Startup tab, disable the "dbhagent"

3. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

Thank you, "Paragon Tommy" (you are British?)! Your reply was very helpful to me. Now that I know the relationship between the two routes to doing a full imaging backup, I'll stick with the dbh agent route and just schedule it manually. Since the "system backup" program initially ran without my input, I also hadn't been sure that it backed up both of my hard drives. Exploring the archive, however, did reveal that both of my HDD's had been backed up, which is what I want. I still must explore the other features of the Backup & Recovery 10 Suite, one of your newer products. In my experience, your backup programs have been more user-friendly than Norton Ghost. That tells me that the Paragon team is really doing a great job of product development and incorporating end-user feedback. Congratulations to all of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.