Backup & Recovery 10 Free Edition: Win7x64 fail

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by sndlogic, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sndlogic

sndlogic Registered Member

I get this error when trying to backup:
    VSS technology has failed with error: 0x11112 (VSS specified error)

Running Intel P55/Corei7 on Win7x64.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello SNDlogic,

Check if Shadow Copy is started: Start > Run > services.msc and start "Shadow Copy"

If you are backing up 1 partition or do not need all of your partitions synchronized, Paragon Hot Processing is an alternative found under Tools > Settings.

3. tinman55

tinman55 Registered Member

I am having same error on a Windows 7 32 bit machine. I have the service running and it still errors. The weird part is that I had restored this image from another drive to the new drive and it worked the first time. But on the restored imaged the software won't work. I un-installed Paragon drive backup and reinstalled....same error o_O

4. tinman55

I also tried the built in hot swap....internal error 0x11112e

5. Paragon_Tommy

Do you have other imaging softwares currently installed? That error tells me there's a problem with VSS and often times it's because either the service is not started or in use. Softwares that may conflict includes Acronis TI, Backup Exec, Nero, etc.

Alternatively, have you tried the Paragon Hot Processing found in Tools > Settings instead of VSS.

If it comes down to it and you need to do a one time backup/restore, the recovery disk will do the job.

6. tinman55

Still no go...I did do a backup via the recovery disk ok. I am still stumped.....I still have the original drive with W7/32 that I did the original backup with......I booted to it and Paragon10 works fine on the original W7 installation. I just wanted to change that installation to my current drive. This is when Paragon errors on me....evidently it did not restore something right. Everything else seems to run fine OS/Apps o_O I have the same apps that it had on the original install and there is no other backup utility running and the service is running (Shadow copy). Anything else I can try ?

Thanks for the help !

7. Paragon_Tommy

Hello Tinman55,

Can you give us a call here at our office and we'll see what we can do.

1 888 347 5462

8. tinman55

Sure I can call....I did do the Windows 7 built in backup utility and it worked fine. I also did a "Check archive integrity" on the archive I restored. I am still curious why this is not working. I am looking for another spare drive to try the restore again.

9. tinman55

Well here is a update...tried to do a windows 7 restore with the windows 7 image I created using the W7 backup utility....it failed on the restore. So bottom line is that Paragon did not restore my windows 7 image correctly. Its like it has locked something and both W7 and Drive backup 10 won't work anymore. So can someone confirm they can do a backup on a system that was restored via Backup 10 ?

10. Aelron

Aelron Registered Member

I am receiving the same error. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I did not attempt any kind of a restore, it is an install from a formatted drive. It appears that Windows 7 sets up a 100mb boot partition with recovery options on it. That partition, for me, is what seems to be causing the error. If I choose to back up the entire drive(Basic Hard Disk 0, and everything below it in the tree), it fails with the error. If I choose to do ONLY my C: partition, then it is fine. If I choose to backup everything except the 100mb partition, it is fine. If I tell it to do only the 100mb partition added by Windows 7, then it will fail with the mentioned error.

Backup works fine, if I unselect the 100mb partition. I am unsure how this might affect a full restore, since all the information I could find on the subject said that removing the partition will corrupt the drive. There is apparently an option during Windows 7 setup where you can manually set up partitioning and have it not create the recovery partition.

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hello Aelron,

The 100mb partition Win 7 creates is the "system" partition containing the boot critical files.

You can avoid it during install of 7, it is also possible to remove it later and make another Primary partition "system".

It is advantageous to those using bitlocker, otherwise , it can be a nuisance.

If you install Win 7 to a drive that already has an active partition - the 100mb will not be created.

There are many reports on the windows forums of Windows own System Image program failing to make backups - apparently connected with the 100mb partition. Windows error message indicates there is not enough space, either on the target drive, or the source partitions for the Shadow Copy to be created.

It does not seem to affect everybody.

It is not clear to me what is causing this issue - apparently only on some systems.

12. SirEbrum

SirEbrum Registered Member

Any comments on whether AHCI may be part of the problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.