Backup Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dlj1935, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlj1935

dlj1935 Registered Member

When I try to run a backup I get the blue screen of death with a stop code of: 0X000000D1, 0X00000000, 0X00000005, 0X00000001 That says there is a problem with ulsata.sys.

I have a Promise TX150 installed that gives me 2 sata ports and one pata port. If I delete the ulsata.sys driver the backup works fine but as soon as I put it back in so I can use my other ports it crashes.

Any ideas?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you checked to see if there are updated drivers on the Promise web site?

What version and build of True Image are you using? If it isn't TI 11 build 8101, that would be a smart thing to try assuming you are using TI 11.

At least you were able to specifically identify the driver that causes the BSOD. Sometimes that is not easy to do. Now, the problem is finding a way to avoid it.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Until you find a solution, try renaming the file instead of deleting it. That way you don't have to re-copy it from where you are keeping it.

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Is it the same problem like in this thread? Click

5. dlj1935

I have downloaded the latest Promise Driver from their site and installed and still the same problem. I am usingTrue Image ver 11 build 8, 101. I have tried to register but their website is not fully functional so I can't see it there are any updates.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

From what I've read, this is a long-standing problem for TI back to version 8 and including 9 and 10 and now 11.

You can disable the Promise controller in Device Manager which is probably both easier and safer than messing with the driver file directly. That should allow you to make backups, but TI won't work with this card in Windows.

Have you tried booting from the TI Rescue CD and seeing if you can make and validate images there? The Rescue CD is Linux based, so it may work while the Windows version of TI fails.

It would appear that the only solution is to replace the card with a different brand/model that is compatible with TI in Windows.

7. dlj1935

What I don't understand is that I was able to use my Promise card when I up graded my notebookby "Cloning" sata 80bg drive to a 250 gb drive and it was Vista Ultimate but when I tried to "Backup/Retore" my desktop PC the the promise card resides in I get the BSOD. Strange Noo_O?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dlj1935,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify the exact model of the card in question?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

John,

I just wanted to thank you for your post (copy below). I was not able to do a full back up using TI 8.937 and kept getting blue screen errors on two different PCs. I'm pretty sure I was able to do them before using TI 8.937. I'm guessing that a Microsoft Update somewhere along the way updated my Promise driver on both PCs making TI 8.937 fail.

I disabled the Promise drivers in device manager per your suggestion and then my backups worked perfectly. (Promise IDE port built into my motherboards) Only problem is that I can't backup any hard drives on my Promise IDE ports using TI-8.937 but I can at least backup my system drive and other drives on the normal IDE ports.

Almost threw in the towel and was going to buy a different vendor's backup program when I read your post. I probably will end up doing that since the Acronis product has problems with the Promise Controllers but I at least was able to do my backups for now. I hope you revisit this forum and see my thank you post.

Keep up your good work,
    Skyhawk

10. wpns

wpns Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with ATIB Home 11.8101 and ULSATA.SYS, but only when trying to create rescue media, and only when there's no drive connected to the promise controller.

It's a SATA150 TX4 with the latest Promise BIOS.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wpns,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest drivers from Promise.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly:

Please collect Windows mini-dumps the following way:
    - Right click on My Computer, choose Properties and go to the Advanced tab;
    - Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery box;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons;
    - Reproduce the system crash;
    The dump file will be created in the directory chosen in the Small dump directory box.

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. To expedite the resolution we recommend you to use our Live Chat service after that. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.