Backup Performance Optimization

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mikehd, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

I'm backing up a 100GB of data from a P4 3GHz 1GB DDR machine over my 100Mb LAN. The current estimate is 16 hours to complete this backup. This is a WinXP SP2 Pro machine.

The recipient machine is an Athlon XP 2400 w/ 512MB DDR. I'm backing up to a dynamic disk spanned array of 4 IDE drives (2x120GB, 1x250GB, 1x180GB). This machine is also WinXP SP2 Pro.

Is this time estimate typical? Are there any performance tweaks I can enable to improve this?

thanks...

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Just copying that much data would take 4-5 hours, so I think the estimate is not too far off. However, most of the estimates I've seen from TrueImage have been longer than the actual time, sometimes by a factor of 2 or more.

After you start the backup, TrueImage continually updates the time remaining. I've found that after the backup is 10 percent complete, the time remaining estimage is fairly accurate.

My guess is that it will take 6 hours. Shall we start a pool?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mikehd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please be aware that estimated time and image archive size are quite approximate, as different type of data allow different level of compression and require different amount of time to be compressed. So, there's no need to worry about the discrepancy appeared and the time of 16 hours is quite common especially for large amounts of information.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

It took over 20 hours. During that time the pc was used so that may have stretched out the image process.

So would it be faster to do the first full image from the bootable cd? Are the subsequent incrementals going to be this slow? o_O

5. Acronis Support

6. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

I understand this feature, and it is one of the compelling reasons to buy ATI.

However, for first image building if it is faster to do it from the Linux environment then I would do so, and just do the incrementals from Windows.

7. Acronis Support

Hello mikehd,

The time necessary to create the image under Windows and Linux environment is almost the same. A small difference may be because of some particular driver not optimized for your hardware but this difference is neglible.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

Thanks for the answers. Nice to have the interaction from Acronis on these questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.