'Backup' option when reformatting a hard drive?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RCGuy, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

In another thread: Malware broke through Sandboxie I explained how I had to reformat my hard drive. Also, with the eMachine computer that I have, it has a built in recovery program where I have the option of either completely replacing Windows(destruct) with a new copy of Windows...or to replace Windows with a new copy of Windows, but to also 'Backup' certains files and folders.

Well, I really wasn't sure what the 'Backup' option meant, but I had a lot of music downloaded on my computer(fortunately from CDs), plus, I had certain documents that I wanted and some notes from my Notepad on my desktop.(I've gotten into a habit of putting notes with URLs articles in them that I want to read onto my desktop because I used to bookmark so many articles and not read them.) But anyway, I was hoping that the 'Backup' option would save my music and documents and desktop notes, however, I'm not sure how to access what I backed up.

Now I opened 'My Computer' and saw a 'My Backup' folder that I clicked on, and there was a 'Music' folder in it that I clicked on, but nothing was in it. Also, there was a 'Documents and Settings' folder there too, but when I clicked on it, it showed me a folder with my administrator name on it, along with a list of folders that had the names of past Limited Accounts that I had.

Well, I clicked on the administrator-named folder, but I got a dialog box that said that this folder cannot be accessed and "Access is denied." :doubt:

Now I don't know if anyone knows anything about this or if anyone knows anything about the 'Backup' option when reformatting a hard drive, but any information that you can share about this would be appreciated.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Assuming you're using an Admin account go to the advanced security properties of the folder and see if you can "take ownership".

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

which operating system are you using?

4. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Windows XP Home Edition.

5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I've never heard of that before. How would one do that?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

The are many free softwares to make customimg backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.