Backup only essential system files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by czc587, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czc587

czc587 Registered Member

Is there a way I can just backup my system boot files, ie mbr, file in root directory. Then later restore only them if I wish ? Are there options with and witout a secure zone ?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

You can use the Files/Folders backup option and choose whatever you want. However, you will have to make the choices – and getting all the “system” files can be a rough row to hoe. Chances are you will miss something important.
    I gave up on the pick & choose method long ago and just back up everything. If I need to restore a particular file/folder, I still have that option from a full backup.
    I think backing up the MBR can only be done as part of a partition backup; you can't select the MBR itself.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Even if you could, that would a mistake.

There is an interrelationship amongst files, including non-system files, that is easily broken if not done properly. Why ask for trouble?

And ferget about the secure zone, just backup to external drives.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello czc587,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that as TheWeaz said you can use files/folders backup to back up individual files/folders. However, please be aware that we can not guarantee that you will be able to restore your operating system to a working state by restoring the file-based backup of a system partition. Please also take a look at this previous thread. It should answer your question. Additional information about file based backup can be found in Chapter 5.1 "Backing up files and folders (file backup)" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User Guide.

Also please note that the current version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home does not allow you to back up MBR (Master Boot Record) only. Only disks and partitions images contain a copy of track 0 along with MBR.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.