Backup names

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by imacken, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imacken

imacken Registered Member

Hi!
    I've been trialling TI10 for the last couple of days, and I have a question about the backup naming convention.
    I did a full backup - calling it 'Acronis Iain' - at 21:20 yesterday, and then an incremental at 00:43 a few hours later to check that it worked!
    Looking at my drive I seem to have the following folders
    'Acronis Iain' - subfolders 'Slice {date] 21:18:29' and 'Slice Fri {date] 00:43:44'
    'Acronis Iain2' - with the same sub-folders as above.
    Is this correct? Why are there 2 folders, Acronis Iain and Iain2?
    Thanks.

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

The file “naming” seems correct, but the sub-folder thing is confusing. Could you post a screen copy of the folders from Windows Explorer?

Unless this is something new to version 10, which for $30 I have no real interest in.

3. imacken

4. TheWeaz

LOL, sorry, but I'm an old dog and have little idea of what I'm looking at there. It's Classic View or nothing for me!

5. imacken

It's the standard view from Explorer in Vista RC2.
    On the left you have the normal tree view.
    All the backups are on drive 'Backup J:'. I've expanded all the 'Acronis Iain' folders so you can see the subfolder structure.
    Easy!

6. TheWeaz

Still no help, can’t tell a file from a folder.
    When you create a FULL backup image and give it a name like MYBKUP, TI should create a file named MYBKUP.TIB, stored in the target folder you selected.
    After running an INC that appends to that backup image, you should then have an additional file named MYBKUP2.TIB.

7. imacken

Thanks.
    There are no files on the screenshot as there would have been too many to show. There are only folders showing, and I've expanded all the 'Acronis Iain' folders to show that the same subfolders are showing in each one of the 'Acronis Iain' folders.
    The structure you mention above is exactly what happens, but it's the fact that all the main folders seem to include the same 'Slice' subfolders that confuses me.

8. TheWeaz

So you do you, in fact, have .tib files and the names and locations are OK?
    At this point, all I can suggest is that you re-step through the wizard and make sure that the selections made are all correct. Perhaps something was entered incorrectly or left out. You aren’t using any Pre/Post commands are you?
    Again, version 10 is not something I’m going to bother with if TI demands another $30 from me.

9. TheWeaz

10. imacken

What is weird though is how ALL the backup tib files have all the same 'slices' and all the file names for the whole backup!

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello imacken,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as TheWeaz said the incremental/differential image archives are based on the full image and the file names are based on the full image archive name as well. If the full image archive name is "MyBackup.tib" for example, then the first created incremental/differential image archive will be "MyBackup2.tib", the second "MyBackup3.tib" and so on.

As for the second question please note that "slices" is related to the new feature of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, exploring images and file-level archives (Tools -> Explore Backup Archive or double-click on the archive file). When you explore the image archive via Acronis True Image 10.0 Home the program opens a Windows Explorer window displaying the archive contents. If you selected an archive containing incremental or differential backups, Acronis True Image Home will suggest that you select one of the successive backups (slices) by its creation date/time. Double-click the slice icon to view the data saved in the backup. You can copy any file or folder from the backup being explored and paste it to any hard disk folder.

Please also note that both incremental/differential image archives and the initial full image archive contain the information about each other and, therefore, when you explore any image from the chain (initial full image and incremental/differential image archive) you will see all the successive backups (slices). It is similar to the restoration process: if you have backup chain and go through the restore wizard, select the backup to restore, Acronis True Image suggests you to select one of successive incremental backups by its creation date/time.

You can find more information about explore backup archive feature of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in Chapter 12. ?Exploring archives and mounting images" in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. imacken

Thanks for that. Things are a little clearer!
    I'm confused by another 2 things
    1) if do a 'My Data' incremental backup with 'exclude system files and folders' and 'exclude hidden files and folders' then my email Outlook pst file does not get backed up! I only discovered this by accident. Why on earth is this? Surely backing up Outlook's email/contact file is one of the essential things for a backup to do.
    2) it is very unfortunate that there is no information given in 'Recovery' on file details. For example, if I want to see what date a file that I save regularly was last modified or size or anything, I can't in True Image. If I select the file in the tree, the right hand panel in TI just says 'No document properties are available for this file'. Also, when the file is recovered, the date shows the day/time of recovery not the original date/time.
    Am I missing something?
    Iain

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

In TI9 there is an Option in Tools to select whether the original date/time is to be kept on restore or changed to recovery time.

Sorry for being unable to help with the rest.

14. imacken

Thanks a lot for that. One thing solved!

15. imacken

It's been over a week now. Any chance of a reply from Acronis to the above points?

16. Acronis Support

Hello imacken,

Please note that source files exclusion option (check Chapter 5.3.2 "Source files exclusion" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide) available for "My data" backup only. Please note that Windows XP and Windows 2000 consider *.pst files to be system files, therefore, if you set to exclude system files and folders from the backup archive Acronis True Image will exclude *.pst files as well.

If you wish to use Acronis True Image to back up your e-mail client we recommend that you use "My e-mail" (Chapter 5.2.4 "My E-mail backup") to back up messages, accounts and settings for Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003 and Microsoft Outlook Express.

Please note that you can mount the disk/partition image archive as a virtual drive and then using Windows Explorer and other file managers, you can view the image contents and file attributes as if they were located on a physical disk or partition.

Also as bVolk said you can choose whether to restore file date and time from the archive or assign the files
    the current date and time.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

17. imacken

Sorry, but that is not the point! Of course I can look at the attributes in Explorer, but why should I have to go to an external application, remember the slice date, then go back into True Image and find the one I'm looking for?!?
    Surely it is not beyond the capabilities of Acronis to show the file details expecially when the facility already exists, but at the moment, it just says there are no properties available for this file!

18. Acronis Support

Hello imacken,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will forward it to the appropriate person and we will take it into consideration for the future version/build of Acronis True Image.

If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

19. imacken

Well, it's taken you a month to say 'thanks for your comments'!!!
    In all the companies I have dealt with over the years for support, Acronis certainly get my vote as the worst. If you look at this thread as an example, the 3 replies from Acronis have began with 'We are sorry for the delayed response'! You are obviously not sorry as that is clearly an automated response.
    Why does it take you so long to reply to simple questions? It's not as if this is shareware software. Your customers have paid good money for your products, and you should be providing a much better level of support than this.
    Absolutely horrendous. I would not recommend you or your products as a result of this level of service.

20. Acronis Support

Hello imacken,

Please have a look at this previous post of mine explaining the reason for the delayed responses.

We will definitely do our best in order to minimize response expecting time as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

21. imacken

Sorry Aleksandr, but the thread you point to suggests that the reason there is such a huge delay in replying is because you are responding to issues relating to True Image 10 brought up by users!
    That is exactly what I have been doing!
    Where is the logic there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.