Backup image not compressing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DeeMikey, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeMikey

DeeMikey Registered Member

I'm using Acronis TrueImage 8.0 (build 92:cool: and am attempting to create an image of my 80 GB SATA hard drive which is setup using RAID 1 (mirrored drive).

Everything seems to work fine with the backup except that I'm getting no compression on the approximately 62 GB of data that's in use. I've tried both Normal and High compression modes, and though the estimate is for around 30 GB when compressed, there doesn't seem to be any compression taking place with either of these modes.

On the other hand, when I backup my system drive (IDE, no RAID) I get pretty good compression from the 5 GB of data down to about 3 GB of actual storage space.

The contents of the data drive are definitely compressible, it's simply data files, databases, etc. so there shouldn't be any reason why it can't be compressed.

Any thoughts? Thanks! -- Mike

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please create the screenshots of your actions in wizard and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? We will investigate your problem and provide you with the possible workaround.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. DeeMikey

Thanks! I've done that now. I will also download the latest build and see if I have any more success with that version :cool:

4. DeeMikey

I just tried with the latest version (build 1,143) and same problem still :(

5. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

have you checked the properties of the drive to see if someone selected "Compress Drive to save disk space"?

6. DeeMikey

You mean if the data on the drive is already compressed? No it isn't and when I was trying out Symantec LiveState Recovery it seemed to compress fine (there are 100 other reason why I'm not using that program however :D).

I'm wondering if maybe either the fact that it's a mirrored drive, or that it's SATA (or both) is causing the problem. Anyone have any trouble with this?

As I said, it seems to compress fine with my system IDE drive. I'm going to try it with my second IDE drive in the machine and see what that does!

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DeeMikey,

There is no difference between the drive types when you deal with the compression ratio. I am sure you will receive the solution from Acronis Support Team soon. If not please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter. I will find out how the investigation is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. DeeMikey

Thanks Ilya, I'll let you know back if I don't receive a response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.