backup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by gergev, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gergev

gergev Registered Member

I searched this forum and also google searched for "backup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" but could not find any reference to this error in conjunction with Paragon.

I've used Paragon Backup and Recovery 2012 free with success on my Asus dual boot Win 7 and 8 64bit laptop to a WD 3TB external USB 3.0 hd.

I installed the same program on my old Dell 6400 to try to backup the entire drive (all four original partitions including Dell's MediaDirect partition) to a WD 2TB external USB 2.0 hd.

It gets about a minute into the process and then returns the error alert:

"backup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

There is another box with this information:
    AppName: backup.exe AppVer: 10.1.19.16240 ModName: hdm.dll
    ModVer: 10.1.19.16240 Offset: 001e0390

and further extensive details were apparently written to a txt file
    C:\DOCUME~1\....\LOCALS~1\Temp\e4d5_appcompat.txt
    but that file was not saved, I guess it really was 'temporary', as it wasn't in the Temp folder and a search doesn't find this file anywhere on my Dell laptop.

I suspect the Dell's low RAM (2GB ,max possible with its processor) combined with the size of the image could be the culprit, if it needs a lot of ram to write temporary data, although I have performed a similar backup with Macrium's software.
    The Dell's hard disk total size is 143GB with 19.5GB free space.
    The backup destination external USB drive size is 1.81TB with 448GB free space.
    The size of the backup according to Paragon software is approx 100GB.
    In attempting the process, Paragon creates 3 ARC folders in the target backup folder on the external drive before it returns the error.

I've attempted this twice. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

I wouldn't expect RAM would be your issue, unless you are really running close to the line. Have you tried creating a recovery disk, booting from it, and then running a backup? That would eliminate a lot of unnecessary programs and processes from hogging your RAM.

The other possibility, apart from a corrupt install, could be that Paragon is running out of disk space. Don't know how Paragon works "under the hood", but it might be trying to create temporary files on your HD, and running out of space.

I use a video editing program that creates enormous temp files when rendering HD video files on the primary hard drive. Folks recommend at least 50 GB free to avoid having the program hang.

Just a couple of thoughts. Let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
    -Phil

3. gergev

gergev Registered Member

Thanks. I will give that a try and report back.
    I forgot to mention the Dell is running XP sp3.
    Right now I'm trying to pare out unnecessary files to free up HD disk space on the Dell before attempting an image backup. I try not to shut it down because I have another problem with it, in that I cannot reboot from a shutdown without unplugging the laptop.
    Next to my power button I have lights for bluetooth, wifi, and 3 'lock' symbol icons (on the lock symbols are the number 9, letter A and a down arrow). When I reboot with the AC adapter in, the lock icon with the number 9 illuminates and the Dell won't boot into windows.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If running from the CD doesn't help, in a case like this, the first 2 things I'd do are:

Run chkdsk driveletter: /r replace driveletter with the drive letter of the partition being tested; a reboot will likely be necessary to run the test. This will check the file structure and do a surface check. If the disk structure is confused in a way Paragon can't handle it could crash.

Run Memtest86+, free from www.memtest.org which will give your RAM a thorough testing. It should run error free for at least a couple of passes but a far better test is to let it run overnight. If running from the CD works, it doesn't rule out a RAM error since the program use of cells woudl be different.

These may not turn up anything but they are easy to do and tend to rule out a couple of causes for PC problems. BTW, the best check for your drive's physical condition is the diagnostic program supplied by the vendor. Chkdsk is fine for checking the file structure but it will not always catch and repair other problems like bad sectors.

I am running B&R on a Toshiba laptop with only 1GB RAM.

5. gergev

gergev Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestions.
    I tried running Macrium and got the following error:
    "Cluster Run Error. Unused cluster found in cluster run - Error code = 10. Please run 'chkdisk /f "

Also I have Acronis True Image Home 2010 installed from a few years ago. It installed device drivers and could be conflicting/causing issues.
    This thread explains how to uninstall Acronis
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=316447&page=5
    I'll try the check disk first, and may uninstall Acronis next.

I prefer Paragon's interface.

6. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

Gergev: I am a former Acronis customer as well. Their 2012 product was extremely buggy and I killed two computers trying to uninstall it. "Arvy" helped me out by informing me of the registry entries that were left behind by the Acronis uninstall, that Windows was still trying to load and couldn't, resulting in BSODs and non-booting computers. You should consult with Arvy for information on what to look for in the registry.

I wound up doing full partition restores, booting from a recovery disk, eradicating Acronis, and editing my registry as directed by Arvy (blessed be he!), and then rebooting normally. After that I was in business.

From the sounds of things, your primary issue right now is some flaky clusters. Run the chkdsk /r and deal with that first. That may resolve your problem. Perhaps your Acronis did come out cleanly, but mine didn't, now even using Revo Uninstaller Pro. First, and last, time, it ever failed me.

Acronis will never see another dime from me and I steer everyone away from them. Their earlier stuff (2010 and before) was rock solid and I was very pleased with their software, but something happened in 2011 and got worse ...

I have been very impressed with Paragon HDM Suites for the two years that I have been using the product. Not looking back.

Have a great day.

Regards,
    -Phil

7. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Please attempt to perform a clean install of the software, to do this uninstall the Paragon software and then navigate to program files, and within the Paragon Software folder, delete the version of software you are having issues with then perform the install and see if the software is still having this crash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.