Backup Class

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Rico, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

On 7/9/09, Im to give a two hour class on backing up/restoring, to a group of senor citizens. I'll talk from an outline I'm making, note some points will be very brief, & would appreciate any/all comments & help me fill in the blanks etc. Outline so far:

1. Windows XP 'System Restore' I thougt it would be good to hammer this topic
    repeatedly during the two hours

2. Briefly Reg. Backups export/import, all of branch

3. Individual program backups/restore e.g Quicken etc <brief>
    _________

1. Backup types image vs byte by byte.

2. Full Backups, Incremental, Differential <to this day I don't have a good grasp of differential, as opposed to increments>

3. Strategies: When to backup, establish a routine.

4. Image products: free & paid. Provide names of.

5. Basic partition information, primary, extended, active, logical drives
    <restore asks questions regarding partitions; too most these are foreign
    words; hence take the shock out of them>

6. Backup media ext hdd, DVD/CS's

7. Bootdisc

8 Restore from within windows, via boot disc

What do you think I should emphasize? Helpful links? Presentation pointers? All mucho appreciated

Thanks
    Rico

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

You kill them with all these stuff to teach that in just 2 hours(seniors ?)I would them to learn the basics of imaging and how to backup personal files,i guess thats enough to keep them from the streets for months. LOL.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Heck if you just get across the importance of doing something, that will be a lot.

If you try to cover what's in your list, you will be staring at blank faces.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Okay! I'll drop: import/export reg, no need to talk about byte by byte backup, Individual programs aka Quicken <they can discover those on there own.

So that removes #2 & 3 from the first half & most of #1 from the second half.

Also i can leave out differential, increments should be fine.

If anything I would like them to walk away being comfortable using XP's system restore.

I thought DriveImage XML would be an ideal image program: Free, pretty simple interface, & is on a UBCD4win. But I've been un-successful in getting it to run on two machines so far.

The free Paragon, just does whole backup no increments.

Suggestions on a free/easy image software?

Thanks
    Rico

5. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

6. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

It is also important to check the already existing knowledge of the seniors attending your course. So you can adjust your schedule depending on their needs. Let them fill out a questionaire about PC backup knowledge to recognize the weakest part in the chain of seniors.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Prius04 -Thanks great program!

Minimax2000 - Wonderful Idea, any ideas, about the general questions?

Thanks
    Rico

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I have extensive experience working on others XP computers. I would emphasize to check on & keep the number of sys restore points (SRP) low. Like 5-6 at the most. Much greater chance of SR working. Some computers have dozens of SRP & the failure rate is much higher. My .02.

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Thanks Zapjb - The failure of SR with dozens of restore point, is perhaps a function of SR reaching its max allowed hdd space, or something else! I've never had more than 10 myself, & can't remember it ever failing. Thanks for the info. Now you've made me curious as to why it my prone to faile with many restore points.

Take Care
    Rico

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

SR brrrr,after i came comfortable with imaging,i deleted the SR points on all my rigs,its my experience that imaging the system partition is a much better and complete way to restore in case it is needed.
    SR sucks !!

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Huupi,

I guess SR would suck from your perspective who's very comfortable with imaging software. These folks don't image, backup, or SR. If they get into a routine of image backups, or at minimum SR, the workload for the mentors will go way down.

Clarification my community has a very large computer club $10.00 year buys members unlimited "mentor" help with computer problems.

Thanks
    Rico

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Don't talk too long Johnny.

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I totally agree,since imaging is a lifesafer for many of us,why not let them benefit of your knowledge,at least your phone wil cool down. LOL :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.