Backup AV scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WilliamP, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I am looking at two possible AV programs to use as back up scanners for my NOD32 . Probably don't need either but what the heck. They are Kaspersky Lite,if it can be set up to have the constant protection not load on boot. I just want to use the on demand scan. The other is F-Prot for DOS. What do you think would be the best to use?

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi William,

Easy. If you have no money at all- F-Prot. If you have some spare, KAV Lite.

NOD is an excellent AV scanner, but probably needs help in trojan detection and unpacking. This is why KAV is the much better option of the 2 you listed.

I do not use KAV lite but I am sure you can stop the RTM from loading on startup. Lite users such as solarpowered candle and root can give you more detail here.

One other way to look at your dilemma. Instead of another AV scanner, why not think about a separate AT program to supplement NOD.

TSD-3, BOClean and Trojan Hunter are the 3 best. Then you can use one of the free online scanners such as provided by Trend, Panda, KAV or RAV as your backup scanner.

My experiences are that some resident AV's can be very sensitive to other installed backup AV's.

3. Blackcat

Have just seen your previous thread on backup scanners.

Since you have BOClean, go with KAV Lite.

4. WilliamP

Thanks Blackcat for the input. I do have BOClean as an AT. I certainly don't want any conflict on the system. I was under the impression that if NOD AMON was diabled temp. you could run another AV scan. Of course I would want the KAV Lite constant protection to stay off so it wouldn't coflict with NOD. Would this work?

5. Blackcat

Your idea of turning off the RTM of NOD when carrying out a background scan using KAV Lite is the recommended way.

There can be conflicts however with another installed AV program on the same computer, even when you have not installed the RTM of the second AV!

I have had particular problems with trying to install background scanners with Dr Web. It did not like any of the ones I tried; KAV, RAV, NOD and F-Prot for Windows. So on one of my computers here, I just have Dr Web and it is much happier this way!!!!

All systems are different so the combination of NOD and KAV Lite should be excellent.

Download a Trial of KAV and see how it sits on your system with NOD.

The other advantage of Kav Lite over F-Prot is that it has a very good unofficial forum. Together with Wilders for NOD, any problems you have should be quickly solved.

Good trialing.

6. WilliamP

Thank you for the help. I' not sure that you can get a trial version of Lite. I will check into it. Also how do you get to the forum for KAV?

7. SKA

SKA Registered Member

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

8. Blackcat

You should be able to trial Kav Lite.

Although I tried to trial it a few days ago and could not get it to load properly!!!!!!

However, there is a thread here where Lisa of Kaspersky UK says that if you have trialed a Kaspersky product before you may need another key-file!

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3f1af1af10dbffff;act=ST;f=1;t=9

If you wait until Monday and contact her, she will send you a 30-day key-file if you have problems with the Lite download.

9. WilliamP

I have E Mailed to get a key for a trail. It looks like the lite isn't offered. I will E Mail them back to check. Of course the E Mail says to remove any AV that may be on the computer.

10. WilliamP

No trial Lite.

11. Blackcat

I see SPC replied to you over at the unofficial forum.

During your trial of KAV Lite, report back here with your comments.

Good luck.

12. WilliamP

If I decide to go with KAV Lite I will post back. I'm still concerned about downloading and setting it up. I have this thing running great and I don't want to mess it up.

13. Bdiamond

Bdiamond Registered Member

I have been looking at iKAV Lite for several days and have really come to love it! I especially like that it is probably 8-10 Mb total and has a very small and somewhat unusual GUI. Its is very functional and practical , however.

Total scan time for my Win XP system is about 15 to 20 min for a bout a 20GB total file system. It is simple, with an effective resident scanner and it was able to identify all my samples of the series of simulated "packed nasties" used by Michael during his development of GAV 4. Generally, NOD 32 did not identify most of these.

All in all I, am really pleased with it-the real question of just "how effective it really is" cannot be answered as is the case with most of these apps.

I will really be interested to hear others thoughts. about it since I really cant think of anything bad at all to say about it. Price was $20.00

(It apparently missed the Sbot.200 Trojan-but that may be another story - since I cant verify its presence with AT apps right now.)

Bdiamond.

14. WilliamP

My understanding about NOD is that it doesn't have an unpacker . But it the nasties try to unpack and do something it gets them.

15. WilliamP

I downloaded KAV Lite 4071 this afternoon. So far so good. I had E Mailed Kaspersky and was told that in order to use it as a back up scanner I needed that version. I'm not sure what I have because there is no help button or way to update. I guess that will come when I pay.

16. root

root Registered Member

I think you can update it. I don't remember exactly, but to update there is a place to click on the face of the main interface, but it is kind of hidden. SPC should be able to help you with this.

17. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

right click the K icon at systray and select update anti virus bases or download from http://www.kaspersky.com/updates.html and extract them to folder kav\bases
    for the help file see your KAV folders.. don't seem to remember if its in kav shared or program files\kav

18. WilliamP

I got an E Mail from Lisa today with a link to download the manual. That is going to be a big help. I want to thank all of you also for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.