Backup And Recovery 11 file backup is extremely slow

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by sg2002, Nov 4, 2013.

1. sg2002

sg2002 Registered Member

Hello.

When I try to make a file backup with Backup And Recovery 11, it always takes a lot of time. Like 15 hours, for a data set of about 15 gigabytes.

Drive backups are reasonably fast - less than 3 hours for the same 120GB partition.

Is there any way to speed it up?

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Unfortunately, there is no way to speed it up it's the downside of doing file level. It is significantly slower than an image level backup.

3. sg2002

sg2002 Registered Member

I understand that it should be somewhat slower, but isn't ~2GB per hour way too much?

I mean just copying those files manually would take no more than 30 minutes for me.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

For file backups, use a file synchronizer. Fast and versatile.

5. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Those speeds do sound way off, please attempt to defrag the system as well as perform a checkdisk, one question though what RPM is your source and destination drive?

6. sg2002

sg2002 Registered Member

Did chkdsk, there were some problems with my target drive so I switched to a different one.

Tried again, it took more than 16 hours.

Using other backup software, it took 33 minutes.

So, to be precise my current dataset is 35GB unpacked.

I backup from a 7200 rpm to a 5900 rpm hard drive. Both are well defragged. The source is a true crypt encrypted system partition.

Gonna try excluding particular folders from that backup script, maybe it struggles with some particular file or file type...

UPD: Another thing I noticed now - when I try to cancel that task in progress, it just don't stop. Canceled one 10 hours ago and it's still going.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.